Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been wanting a sport bike for many years and finally got one last weekend because of the maintaince and cost of keeping a classic harley running was no longer fun. So i bought a new 08 cbr600rr. Its all stock right now i ordered 2brothers exhaust, and power commander but they havent came in yet. So please if anyone has any advice or suggestions it would be appriciated.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Welcome :cheers:

I'm a fan of the recent RR's :thumb: Being a gear nazi, I'll plug for the full setup since these will kill you faster than any cruiser :2cents: The MSF Advanced class might also be a good idea to become familiar with your new sweetheart.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Just be aware that ONE cylinder in these things probably puts out more power than your HD.

+1 on the full gear. And remember, ATGATT, All The Gear All The Time.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Just be aware that ONE cylinder in these things probably puts out more power than your HD.

+1 on the full gear. And remember, ATGATT, All The Gear All The Time.
Since when does a cbr600rr put out 320 or more HP? :huh: Typical harley hater BS, shootin shit without even having a single fact. Try this on for size the displacement of all 4 cylinders is only one cylinder of a V-Twin 1200 :twofinger

·
Registered
338 Posts
Great, it's bigger, heavier and puts out less hp. Awesome bit of engineering, hey? :loser:
less HP but more torque :p ...engineering wise the v-twin configuration is part of the ducati's winning performance :D

But hey don't feel bad that you couldn't afford a HD, you still have your paper weight on wheels oh wait I think you did fix your bike already. Engine failure was it? I'll take the mythological oil leak over engine failure any day :D

In reality, there's no such thing as the perfect bike and people will always have their own opinion about what a good bike has and can do. So it's senseless to attempt to knock a bike, your sportbike sucks ass for traveling from the atlantic to pacific coast here in the US but does better than a goldwing on a racetrack. 50 and 125cc bikes aren't even streetable but they make excellent learner bikes and around the town bikes if you live in a congested densely populated area like china. Every bike has it's place even if you don't have a home for it or can't afford it :laughing:

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
I don't agree at all with your characterization of 500s and 250s. They are often on the track and spectacular for commuters for those of us not interested in spending >$10k on a motorcycle.

We do agree everyone has their own tastes. A rider's a rider in my book.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I don't agree at all with your characterization of 500s and 250s. They are often on the track and spectacular for commuters for those of us not interested in spending >$10k on a motorcycle.

We do agree everyone has their own tastes. A rider's a rider in my book.
When did I characterize 250's or 500's? I didn't even make mention of them.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
less HP but more torque :p ...engineering wise the v-twin configuration is part of the ducati's winning performance :D

But hey don't feel bad that you couldn't afford a HD, you still have your paper weight on wheels oh wait I think you did fix your bike already. Engine failure was it? I'll take the mythological oil leak over engine failure any day :D
Can't say I'd ever waste my money on an HD, but I bought a "winning performance" Ducati.

I'll keep my Gixxer, thanks.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
...But hey don't feel bad that you couldn't afford a HD...
Oh, please, with millions in the bank, I still wouldn't buy a p.o.s. Harley. Money's got nothing to do with it. I'm just not one of the lemmings who got sucked in by a marketing division that's second-to-none. :loser:

...Every bike has it's place even if you don't have a home for it...
This, I agree with. :thumbs2:

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
When did I characterize 250's or 500's? I didn't even make mention of them.
My bad, sorry :( I read your "50's" as "500's".

·
Registered
338 Posts
Oh, please, with millions in the bank, I still wouldn't buy a p.o.s. Harley. Money's got nothing to do with it. I'm just not one of the lemmings who got sucked in by a marketing division that's second-to-none. :loser:

This, I agree with. :thumbs2:
Oh but you have you just don't know it. Every bike maker advertises their shit as the best ever, the minute you start thinking the others are crap you've been sucked in. The only way harley's are POS is if you are seeking a sport bike, they aren't a sport bike and can't be compared to one in any way. All the oil leak and falling apart crap, if you don't own one you can't comment on it. According to jap bike lovers harley's have been leaking oil for decades now, I find it hard to believe that it would never have been fixed after decades of time going by and mine don't leak. Just typical hater BS.

P.S. Jay Leno in all his riches and diverse likes has spent his money on quite a few harley's as well as some ducati's and other bikes.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Well my roomie for three years had a harley sportster, and I spend a great deal of time working on it.
And it was a POS. For the record, its a 2001 model. Lets see, it had less than 40hp. It had a single front caliper that was a mere 0.030" from the wheel spokes. It had a giant heavy rear wheel that added obsene ammount of unsprung weight, and caught all the side winds.
Yes, it leaked oil.
Every bolt on the damn thing wasnt rust proof. So they all rusted.
One day the shifter fell of on the highway
The primary cover gasket failed. Twice. In the first 2 years of ownership.
The super thin head studs (they are supposed to hold torque tension, but they just stretch) failed, leaving one of the head gaskets to leak.
The single carb left one cylinder running rich and one running lean. No way to tune that out.

If you'd rather not compare an HD to a sport bike, compare them to metric cruisers. Oh, and for a damn cruiser, goldwings handle pretty damn good. But hell, put your harley against an MT01, I wanna see what happens.

As for the torque/hp crap, peak numbers are pretty meaningless without the curve. They are twice as meaningless for torque. You can built an engine that is 2x undersquare, with twice the stroke that it has in bore and it will post huge torque numbers. But it will be worthless.

·
Registered
338 Posts
If you'd rather not compare an HD to a sport bike, compare them to metric cruisers. Oh, and for a damn cruiser, goldwings handle pretty damn good. But hell, put your harley against an MT01, I wanna see what happens.

As for the torque/hp crap, peak numbers are pretty meaningless without the curve. They are twice as meaningless for torque. You can built an engine that is 2x undersquare, with twice the stroke that it has in bore and it will post huge torque numbers. But it will be worthless.
Everything is a race for the sportbikers, I don't compare my bikes to others. I pick and ride my bikes because I like them not because they are better than someone else's.

Torque is torque...motorheads that don't have torque will say HP is everything and motorheads that don't have hp but have torque will say that torque is where it's at. With that said I know you need both and don't care for the "I rule you suck because of blah blah blah" crap. All that crap is a waste of time IMHO, I'm not riding to make up for a lacking in the manhood department.

As for why I rather have a harley than any faster jap engineered cruiser, cuse cost really isn't any different, is sentiment and it's american made. Too many americans have bought into the whole cheaper and better thing and buy japanese everything whilst unknowingly stabbing themselves and their neighbors in the back. I support american products and business as much as possible regardless of cost. I know the end result of total abandonment of domestic product in favor of foreign goods and I don't care to contribute.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts