Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wanted to say Hi to everyone first and that these forums look kick ass!!

Anyways, hope people can help me out! I've always been interested in the whole driving thing; I've been wanting to drive since i can remember..then the day i turned 16, I got my license. Then after a year of driving, I got into this autocrossing thing (some of you may know what that is). And now, closing in on my 19th birthday, motorcycles seem really appealing to me! My dad grew up with motorcycles so he is optimistic about this idea. He always tells me the story about how he drove a motorcycle w/o a license while he was still a teen in Japan. He ended up leaving his turning signal on, got pulled over by a cop, and got his privelege taken away for a couple years. Of course, he taught me to go about life the right way from his story.

Anyways, I just want to get as much info as I can/need before I go off doing thing. There's a lot of questions I have in mind, but Ill throw out a general question so you guys can hopefully answer for me!!

I'm a complete newb, the closest thing I've driven to a motorcycle is a snowmobile. Where do I start? I know there are classes around Illinois, and I heard it's free? I'd like info on the course and how I can get my license, etc. This is the info I'm out for. I know there's PLENTY of websites out there with info, but it's too much info sometimes and if someone could put it into basic step by steps, that would be awesome..

Thanks in advance and hope to stick around these forums for a while!!

-Bob

·
Registered
427 Posts
Bobaab said:

I'd like info on the course and how I can get my license, etc. This is the info I'm out for. I know there's PLENTY of websites out there with info, but it's too much info sometimes and if someone could put it into basic step by steps, that would be awesome..
I have a buddy in Southern IL, who tells me that SIU in Carbondale has free riders ed class. I don't know what area of IL you are in (too lazy to look it up:twofinger ), but I bet your nearest college would be a good place to call (like, over the phone). I know what you mean about finding info on the websites, sometimes the info you want is buried and not easily retreivable, even with Google like tools. Perhaps a phone call to the registrar office at your nearest college may point you in the right direction. Or else, someone from your area might post a more informed response here.

Welcome! :hello:

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Park Ridge is a NW suburb of Chicago. There are MSF classes held at Harper Community College, which is where I took it initially. Good course, probably don't know the instructors anymore. Check out the MSF's site and see if something's closer for you.

MSF is the best way to start hands down. Anyone who tells you that just getting on and going is the right way is a nutcase. ABATE and Harley dealerships can also provide some training, but at a higher cost, if I recall correctly.

Start there and then start paging through the posts in the New Riders section (PLEASE!PLEASE!PLEASE!PLEASE!). It will answer tons of things that are probably floating around in your head so you're not asking "the same question" everyone else does (well, except this time ;)).

Welcome!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I am going to be 19 and I love motorcycles. I have been riding dirtbikes since I could walk and then picked up my 01 GSXR 750 when I was 17. Definately take the MSF course. My cousin took it and told me how helpfule it was to him. I am looking to take the course as soon as I get the time. I have to work my @ss off to pay the bills after rebuilding my bike during the off season. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
427 Posts
I am amazed that IL actually encourages people to take the class by making it available for FREE. Here in Kansas you will shell out $180, I hear in some other states it costs even more.

This link will guide you to the closest available training center:
http://www.dot.state.il.us/cycle.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the friendly replies! that DOT website will definately help..

hey kanwisch, i see u're in west lafayette, are u a student at Purdue by any chance? Cause that's where I am right now as a freshman engineering student :twofinger

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Bobaab said:
hey kanwisch, i see u're in west lafayette, are u a student at Purdue by any chance?
I do have an association with that organization.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
kanwisch said:
I do have an association with that organization.
:laughing:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts