Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone,

i just installed new turn signals on the front and back of my 2006 yamaha r6. they look awesome, but i noticed that they flash a lot faster after being replaced. my friend says it's a good thing because it draws more attention to it. my concern is that i didn't hook something up correctly. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
338 Posts
If their working then I'm pretty sure you have everything hooked up right, when you change turn signals from stock if the new signals draw a different amount of current the speed of the blinking will change unless you have an electronic flasher on the bike.

·
Registered
980 Posts
They are blinking faster because there is no resistance on the line. I would suggest putting in the proper resistance because my new right rear one blew out shorting after instulation, causing the front right one to malfunction. Now my singals are all kinda messed up, im just gonna let a shop fix them this winter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
slick1537 said:
They are blinking faster because there is no resistance on the line. I would suggest putting in the proper resistance because my new right rear one blew out shorting after instulation, causing the front right one to malfunction. Now my singals are all kinda messed up, im just gonna let a shop fix them this winter.
how would i go about achieving the right resistance?

·
Registered
338 Posts
baliwas said:
actually... i found this article http://sbw.sportbikes.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20574&highlight=resistor and it seems like i need a 570 or 680 ohm resistor.

i guess my question now is... do i really need to fix this? will my lights burn out if i keep it this way? will i damage anything?
If your running custom assembled LED's then yes you need a resistor otherwise the LED's will burn (instantly if there is no resistor). If you have lights that were pre-assembled and made to be turn signals then you don't have to worry about them blowing out because they already incorporate a resistor, or at the very least the instructions had you install a resistor. Anyway if you want to slow the blinking down you have to add a resistor of the proper wattage.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Relax, if you had no resistors at all, the leds would've burned out before they had a chance to light up. Your flasher unit is the electronic equivalent of a seesaw with a bucket of water on one end. The bucket has a hole, and the seesaw changes states as the bucket empties out. LED's consume much less power than incandacent bulbs and thus "changing the size of the hole". You get the idea. If you dont mind them flashing faster, its fine to leave them just like they are, it doesnt hurt a thing. If you want to slow them down, get 4x 500ohm (or so, 400-700) 20watt resistors. Dont forget the 20watt rating, you do not want to use the little electronic grade resistors, they will not handle it. Then connect one resistor to each one of your lights, between the hot and ground wire of that light. Resistors are not polorized, so it doesnt matter which way you connect them.

The resistors should look something like this

As in big ceramic and beasty looking. I'm not absolutely sure about the 20watt rating (the pictured resistor is 10watt) but you should have a rating that is at least that of the incandacent bulb that was in there stock (more is ok).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
perfect!

thanks for the help guys. I bought the leds as already made turn signals. I kinda like the fast flashing. I think it draws more attention to the bike... so i'm gonna leave it. I dont really wanna mess with wires and what not.

Thanks again. I'm new to the forum, and i just have to say that everything i've read (and i've been reading for 3 days straight) has been very informative.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
My integrated tail light (meaning it has the turn signals in it) came with a resistor for this very issue and it did, indeed, flash really fast. I didn't bother putting in the resistor and when I got around to putting in semi-flush mount front signals, they must have had internal resistors since the rear now flashes that the OEM rate.

So there's the chance that if you do an aftermarket tail light that has an internal resistor that your entire system would revert to the stock flash frequency. YMMV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it might also be because i disconnected the light that lights up my license plate. i bought a fender eliminator for my R6 and have bolts with led lights in them, but can't install them until my plates come in. maybe the resistance will go back up when i hook up the lights.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
baliwas said:
it might also be because i disconnected the light that lights up my license plate. i bought a fender eliminator for my R6 and have bolts with led lights in them, but can't install them until my plates come in. maybe the resistance will go back up when i hook up the lights.
The plate lights are on a seperate circuit, and have no effect on the flashers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Resistors

The light kit I just got for my wifes ZZR600 came with two resistors and the instructions say if the new LED lights blink too fast, add the resistors in Parallel which means add them accross the positive and negative wires before the light assembly.

I got a clear lense LED assembly where the tail/brake and blinkers are one in the same to eliminate the stock blinkers once the fender eliminator kit arrives.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The resistor idea works great, but for most bikes there's a much easier and neater solution. Lockhart Phillips sells a turn signal relay just for the typical LED conversion. All you do is pull the OEM relay and pop in the new one. Done.

Honda, of course, is probably the only brand that will give you problems here. Everyone else uses a two or three wire connection, but Honda likes the 250-wire connector better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
your turn singals

if you leave your blikers flashing fast you will, you will burn out the turn singal flasher in your dash, everyone is telling your to put resisiters in, but all your have to do is place a new NO LOAD singal flasher in, i have a 2002 FZ1 it is located right under my seat, it coast $2.00 an to repalce about 5 mins if you need have ant questions e mail me

·
Registered
44 Posts
baliwas said:
hey everyone,

i just installed new turn signals on the front and back of my 2006 yamaha r6. they look awesome, but i noticed that they flash a lot faster after being replaced. my friend says it's a good thing because it draws more attention to it. my concern is that i didn't hook something up correctly. what do you guys think?
Last season when I had my 04 GSXR600, i put new LEDS on for rear turning signals due to the rear fender elimator kit. They were also much faster than what they were normally. I had no problems with it. Sold it to a friend and it is still working fine to this day!

Thats my exp with them!

·
Registered
5 Posts
i know be in the long run it will burn out the dash bulbs. at least that is what i was told.. so i put in th e 2$ part an they blink at normal speed . ANY ONE going to ROYAL OAK Michigan let me know

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Are you guys sure those are bulbs in the dash and not LEDs?

·
Registered
5 Posts
don't really know but i was told they would burn out . But if you would like to know i will look in mym owners mannal for bulb replacement an let you know. where are you from

1 - 18 of 18 Posts