Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a REALLY annoying problem!

When I come to SBW and go to the forums, all of the topics with new posts have yellow bulbs so I start at the top and open a forum, read the threads and when I click back to the main forum directory, all of the yellow lights are gone! Then I dont know what is new except for to guess the date since the last time I was here. :(

#2 ~When a thread has multiple pages, I cannot just click on the little '2' or '3' to skip the first pages without it taking me back to the SBW home page.

I use IE 5.5 at home and IE 4 at work, same problem on either version.

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]

"Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has many -- not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some."
-- Charles Dickens

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
They are all working ok for me. Anyone else having this problem?

(IE:5 here)

------------------
Robert Basil
It ain't easy being green - Kermit the frog
But it sure is fun! - Robert Basil

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I noticed when I go to the main page after viewing one of the forums that the light bulbs don't come back either. I hit refresh and no change. So I have to go in each forum and see if there are any new topics. I haven't noticed this problem before today.

------------------
"If everything's coming your way-
you're in the wrong lane"

Clark

·
Registered
938 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RUG BURN:
I noticed when I go to the main page after viewing one of the forums that the light bulbs don't come back either. I hit refresh and no change. So I have to go in each forum and see if there are any new topics. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DITTO!

------------------
http://gsxr750.sportbikeworld.com

·
Registered
328 Posts
Seems okay for me, with IE 5.

Sounds like ya' got yerself a problem with the ol' mainframe server hard drive inter-connectimabob...

:D :D :D

------------------
A fool and his money are soon partying.

G

·
Ok Here goes my theory...

Go to Tools , internet options, on the general tab : In the section for temperary internet files(cache) choose settings... "Check for newer versions of page" Change this to every visit to page ..

try it ...

------------------
Whatever that little sheep said is a damn lie !!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AZ Scott:
Seems okay for me, with IE 5.

Sounds like ya' got yerself a problem with the ol' mainframe server hard drive inter-connectimabob...

:D :D :D

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks AZ, I took your diaginosis over to my Info. Sys. guy and told him we have a problem with mainframe. He just looked at me for a second, dropped his head and walked off...what's up with that...last time I help that little 16yr. old prick out. :D

------------------

Clark

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
It is also doing it to me. It will sometimes leave the lights on and sometimes it doesn't.

It's been doing it to me for months. :confused:

------------------
Dan F4 Red/Black

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I posted this same problem about two weeks ago. I rebooted the computers and the problem went away.

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Registered
328 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dan F4:
It is also doing it to me. It will sometimes leave the lights on and sometimes it doesn't.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe it's just trying to do its part to conserve engergy... ???

:D

------------------
A fool and his money are soon partying.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL Scott!

I tried the setup thing in tools, no luck

it doesnt always happen, but alot.

What do you mean 'reboot'? I turn off the computer every night if thats what you mean

------------------
Kyle J.-

"Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has many -- not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some."
-- Charles Dickens

·
Registered
86 Posts
This is the same problem I've been bitching about for months. I thought I was the only one. Thanks for confirming I'm not totally an idiot. ;)

------------------
- Dan

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
Damn,

I've been trying on a bunch of different computers with different browsers, but I cannot duplicate the problem. :(

------------------
Robert Basil
It ain't easy being green - Kermit the frog
But it sure is fun! - Robert Basil

·
Registered
741 Posts
This especially happens, to me, at least, when you reply to something and go back then all of the bulbs go out!! hmmm...!

------------------
Joe
1999 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, 4,100 miles, Vance and Hines Titanium slip on, synthetics, more to come soon!!!

1988 Mustang GT
www.joe4speed.com

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sportbikeworld:
Damn,

I've been trying on a bunch of different computers with different browsers, but I cannot duplicate the problem. :(

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This reminds me of when you take the car to a shop for that whir, zing, pop, whiz sound but it never does it for the mechanic. :D

------------------

Clark

·
Registered
24 Posts
Use this 'work around' to keep the lightbulbs lit:

Use your browser's "back" button to return to the forums page. Using the "back" button returns the page to the same way you saw it. Hence, the lightbulbs remain lit. Works for all browers (IE, Netscape, AOL, WN..).

Basically, this is an issue between your browser and your computer's cache, not SBW's servers. Well sort of. In this case, you're using your cache to your advantage, for a change.

In case you're interested....

The lightbulbs appear only when you log onto the internet from your ISP and access "www.sportbikeworld.com" for the first time during your internet "session." Your browser sends a message to the server saying "Hello. I just got in, show me what's new..."

Then you click on a newly posted forum, read it, then click the folder thingy at the top of the page and return the main page, yet the lightbulbs are gone. Why? Because during your internet 'session,' the server already showed you what's new for the day and tells your browser "You're still here. Nothing has changed. And I already showed you what's new, so stop hitting the refresh button..."

To get around this, use your 'back' button to return the page to the way you found it - lightbulbs and all.

Thank you.

May I be excused now?

[This message has been edited by Isis (edited August 23, 2000).]

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have always used the back button instead of the folder clicking feature, I dont know why.. but the problem still happens when I use the back button :( Maybe I just need a new PIII 1000 computer!!! :D

------------------
Kyle J.-

-- Charles Dickens

·
Registered
873 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by riverrunner_2000:
...when I click back to the main forum directory, all of the yellow lights are gone... ....I cannot just click on the little '2' or '3' to skip the first pages without it taking me back to the SBW home page<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For everyone who says it is not an SBW problem, i have been hacving these same exact problems, at work *and* at home for the last month or 2.

Cache is fine, using ie5 and 5.5.

This is a consistently inconsistent problem. As far as i can gather the cookies are getting reset at random, depending on server, connection, isp, or SBW conditions.

Cant find anyway to fix it, but it is not reproducable and is not predictable. It usually happens when there is a lag on the net. (for example, i will post something and if there is a big delay, i usually know that when things "catch up" the cookie will be reset and all the unread (lit up) threads will then be "unlit" even if i have not read them in that same session.

The cookie function should allow the light bulbs to remain lit until you end the session, (go to a diff site, or close browser), but the "session" (cookie) is being reset prematurely upon a lag in bandwidth or interruption (even very temporary or brief) of one's internet connectivity, (something that happens on EVERY net connection at one point or another, on a regular basis, regardless of the speed or type of connection)

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So basically, You're saying that Robert is having a problem with premature session resetting eh?? :rolleyes:

Thanks Green, at least I know this isnt something Im doing to mess it up.

------------------
Kyle J.-

-- Charles Dickens

1 - 20 of 20 Posts