Sportbike World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum and ask a couple of questions while here. I am in the Coast Guard and station in Corpus Christi TX. I have been riding for a couple of years and own a 2003 Honda VTR1000 Superhawk. I have a friend that has a 2002 Honda 954RR and wants to upgrade to a 190 tire. Has anyone done this. Was it worth it or is the 180 better. I have a 190 on my bike so I don't know the pros and cons for a 180 vs a 190. Any info would help. Also wandering if anyone has a superhawk and what mods they have done.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
I'm by no means an expert, but to summarize what I've read on the subject (it's been asked a number of times before):

Keep the 180. Basically the difference is that the 180 lets you turn faster than the 190. Take a look at the pro racers, I think they all run 180's. If it's good enough for them....;)

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
:hello: and welcome to sbw.

The 180/190 thing is a trade off. 180's turn quicker, in addtion they are taller, so that shortens your wheelbase and makes your rake steeper, which helps turn in as well. The tradoff is that they get a flatspot quicker if you put some highway miles on them. 190's wear more evenly, and are cooler looking, but they turn in slower, and have less rubber on the sides (so its easier to lean to the edge of the tire).

All about how your buddy rides.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts