Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, my name is Ben and I'm 20. I have wanted a bike since my dad got his first harley about 7 years ago, but ive pretty much just put the idea off until now.

I have done a decent amount of research but I would definitely like everyones opinion.

I see that the Ninja 250 is probably one of the most recommended bikes on here, but I don't think it would be the best option for me. No, I dont want a "faster" bike, but I do weigh 260(6ft tall). Given that fact, I think I should be looking at the Ninja 500, Suzuki GS600, and maybe some others?

I plan on taking the dmv test for my permit when I go home during winter break from college, and taking the MSF course next summer. So, during that downtime I want to be on the lookout for a bike. Not ready to buy yet, but in a couple months I hope to be.

If you guys need any more info just say so. TIA.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Welcome :cheers:

Something along the lines of a Suzuki SV-650 would probably suit you well for your first bike, provided you take the MSF course first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Am I right in thinking the 250 would be too small?

And would a budget around 2k being the top end get me anything decent for a 1st bike?

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Yes, IMO a 250 would be too cramped for you. IIRC, 500's are going for between 2500 and 3K in recent models. SV650 that snake suggested will run higher. And you should factor in $1K for gear: helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, pants. Then there's the cost of MSF which varies widely. You DEFINITELY want to take that before expending any money. Riding might actually not suit you.

Most of all, welcome :cheers:

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Now is really a great time to be a buyer. Dealers can't get rid of new stock, which pushes all the used prices waay down. Check out kawiforms.com and gixxer.com to see if there are some listing and commentary on the market for the 500's. Also keep an eye on eBay for current pricing using the Watch feature. You can use these values and cash-in-hand on sellers in your area to get a reasonable rate for a new-to-you ride.

Besides gear don't forget to account for insurance and consumables (tires, oil changes).

As I noted before, though, take the MSF first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now is really a great time to be a buyer. Dealers can't get rid of new stock, which pushes all the used prices waay down. Check out kawiforms.com and gixxer.com to see if there are some listing and commentary on the market for the 500's. Also keep an eye on eBay for current pricing using the Watch feature. You can use these values and cash-in-hand on sellers in your area to get a reasonable rate for a new-to-you ride.

Besides gear don't forget to account for insurance and consumables (tires, oil changes).

As I noted before, though, take the MSF first.
thanks for the advice. i wont be buying until next summer or spring so i have plenty of time. i want to stay around 2k for a bike so i can get the proper gear as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts