Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't own a bike and just joined here literally 30 mins ago but I really want to start riding. It will be a few months before I can get one and don't really have a hold on what a good starter bike is but I've been told not to go over 600cc. I've never even ridden a sportbike. I have ridden dirt bikes a few times but that's it. How do I choose a bike and how do I operate the clutch? is the clutch similar to one in a car? I know this is a stupid question for most of you, please no flames.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I don't own a bike and just joined here literally 30 mins ago but I really want to start riding. It will be a few months before I can get one and don't really have a hold on what a good starter bike is but I've been told not to go over 600cc. I've never even ridden a sportbike. I have ridden dirt bikes a few times but that's it. How do I choose a bike and how do I operate the clutch? is the clutch similar to one in a car? I know this is a stupid question for most of you, please no flames.
Not a stupid question at all actually, quite a commendable one. This particular section of the forum has a ton of advice directly in line with what you are asking. Going over 600cc would be asking for trouble, in your case I would suggest the Kawasaki Ninja 250 or 500 as a starter due to very little prior riding experience. Some may disagree, but personally I think an early 2000's model Suzuki SV650 makes a good machine to break into the sport providing you have a good head on your shoulders(no pun intended). This machine is much less high strung than its 4 cylinder brothers, it is alot more forgiving and supplies plenty of room for growth. As far as the clutch, it obviously has the same function that a cars clutch has it is just in a different location along with the throttle. Decent coordination and you should be just fine in this area with a little bit of practice. Do some research, browse the forums and you should have any questions you may be pondering answered.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the input, i'll definately look into that model. My budget is around 5k.
So if the clutch is operated by my left hand and throttle on my right, where would the stick be on it if i were in a car? By "pushing" the clutch in with my left hand, how would i shift gears? Or is it ONLY operated by my left hand? Thanks again :cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recommend that you take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) class. It might cost you some extra cash but the lessons learned are indispensable. They teach you how to operate a bike and it gives you a chance to see if you are going to like the sport or not. I never had riding experience before I took it and walked away with confidence in the operation of a motorcycle.

Stay safe and have Fun.:thumbs2:

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
I recommend that you take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) class. It might cost you some extra cash but the lessons learned are indispensable. They teach you how to operate a bike and it gives you a chance to see if you are going to like the sport or not. I never had riding experience before I took it and walked away with confidence in the operation of a motorcycle.

Stay safe and have Fun.:thumbs2:
The stickie threads in New Rider cover your questions, though flap's response is the first step.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts