Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

So I recently decided to get a motorcycle for the summer. The main reason for deciding was gas prices (>.<) but I have always toyed with the idea of getting one one day. So within the last week I have signed up for the MSF class, bought a jacket and gloves online, and shopped around for a bike.

I am 99% decided on what I am gonna get. I am 5'8" and 145 lbs so I figure a Ninja 250 would be my best bet. A hyosung GT250R would be nice but harder to find. I plan on getting an older one, for several reasons. Its much cheaper, and I figure if I ever lay it down it wouldn't be as bad as laying down an '08.

So I have been searching fervently for a decently priced bike in my area, and I found http://bellingham.craigslist.org/mcy/656025062.html
I don't think it's too bad, it looks to be in good shape and all that.

If anyone has any tips for a newbie they wanna share they would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts
Hey all.

So I recently decided to get a motorcycle for the summer. The main reason for deciding was gas prices (>.<) but I have always toyed with the idea of getting one one day. So within the last week I have signed up for the MSF class, bought a jacket and gloves online, and shopped around for a bike.

I am 99% decided on what I am gonna get. I am 5'8" and 145 lbs so I figure a Ninja 250 would be my best bet. A hyosung GT250R would be nice but harder to find. I plan on getting an older one, for several reasons. Its much cheaper, and I figure if I ever lay it down it wouldn't be as bad as laying down an '08.

So I have been searching fervently for a decently priced bike in my area, and I found http://bellingham.craigslist.org/mcy/656025062.html
I don't think it's too bad, it looks to be in good shape and all that.

If anyone has any tips for a newbie they wanna share they would be greatly appreciated!
Sounds like a good plan. Easy to handle and learn on, and 60+ mpg.

Take the MSF course, practice the exercises frequently, and find someone to ride with. Safety margin for motorcycles actually goes up, and stress goes down when you ride with other motorcycles.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Sounds like you've got a solid plan in place :thumb:

Welcome :cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Welcome :cheers:

Glad to see another rider starting off the right way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the nice replies! so i have another question.

I bought gloves and a jacket online, am i gonna need anything else besides this? (and a helmet of course).

i was planning on wearing jeans and bball shoes or something like that when i ride

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Riding boots would be a good investment. The only time I don't wear mine is if I'm going to work because they are too uncomfortable to walk around in all day, and too cumbersome for my pack.

Riding pants are also recommended, but I don't really wear mine anymore and that's at my own risk. Just remember shoes without ankle support (just because they come over your ankle doesn't mean they support them) and jeans aren't going to do much when you go down. Yes you read that right, I said when you go down, not if.

That being said, you made an excellent choice for a first bike, and the MSF is a great way to get introduced into riding. I hope you maintain the direction you're on.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
I went down more times than I like to count and am convinced the riding-specific boots have prevented my ankles from being broken, and I've had some really nasty crashes.

As for pants, let me say that I've gone down at ~5mph and it was as if the jeans weren't even there. Some nasty roadrash left scars on both my knees. That said, if you opt to go that route anyway, then I recommend choosing the darkest colored, least "washed"/"worn" jeans you can find. The lightening process denim manufacturers use involves putting the denim into a huge bin with rocks and water and running them 'round and 'round, thus thinning the material while giving you that light, used look. For crashes you obviously want as much material as possible.

There are denim-style pants specifically for riding if you're really concerned about image (understandable for certain circumstances). Check out Draggin' Jeans as one example. There are more than a few others.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Kan is definitely right about riding in Jeans. I still ride that way from time to time, but I have gone down at 5mph while wearing them, too. Even the darkest colored pants won't do any good. I was wearing a brand new pair... and I mean BRAND new. It was on my birthday two years ago, and the pants were a gift. I was out for an afternoon ride with a friend, and I went down. Actually, my friend put me down, but I'll save that story for another time.

I ended up with some pretty good rash on my left leg. Jeans definitely don't help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts