Sportbike World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new set of tires for my 97 ZX-6R. I am just gonna be cruising. Not any excessive speeds or distances, but I want something with good grip and rather smooth. Please suggest any brands and models. I think my front is 120/60/17 and back 160/60/17. Also can I put a wider tire on the back?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
You can go wider for your bike & one of my three sportbikes is close to yours my '97 Yamaha YZF600r. Exactly the same dia & width.

I was in need of a new tyre & had a Metzeler ME-Z2 with good traction & good wear, in its time. Still it would be a 170. Okay so it wore well, but noted the bike did not corner well on some of the sharp bends.So back to 160 next time.

Put a Bridgestone BT-014 on the front (though really wanted an 012 but the shop did not carry it & accidently ordered in an 014) & later followed up with a rear of Bridgestone BT-014 & this time a 160. Much better in cornering & wear is good.

On my Honda 929 & 954 I have reduced the rear width from 190 to 180 & that is better. On both now I am using Bridgestone BT-012 front & Bridgestone BT-014 rear. Note the smaller the number then the softer the tyre & I feel I want the most traction on the front.

I would suggest if you want a less costly & probably better or longer life you might follow what the Cdn Yamaha FZ6 bikes have in being Bridgestone BT-020 both front & rear. I have yet to read or hear of someone bitching about them. Also suggest you stick with stock width on the rear for then LESS drag & loss of power. For neither of us are riding the hottest of 600cc bikes. All you will gain in a 170 will be appearance.

Suggest you dial up Bridgestone & you will find more of what they offer. Probably others if you so wish. Tyres are very competitive to each other just like m/c makers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tires

THANX A LOT! I've heard that changing size would sacrafice handling, and since this is my first bike, I DON'T want to do that. I will look into tires. I just didn't know if there were brands that were known for being softer and have more grip. Thanks for the wear comments, I wasn't thinking about that, but thats another concern. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts