Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all....Just wondering if there are any success stories on new riders getting R6's or any supersport 600's? Seen plenty of advice on not to do it, but haven't seen much in terms of people who did and were happy with the decision. Please let me know if you're one of the ones who made the leap successfully.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
If you're just trying to talk your way into it, go ahead and do it. I'm sure you'll find someone who'll say it's OK.

Meanwhile, the prevailing wisdom of riders worldwide is don't do it. In many countries they even have laws that require starting on a smaller bike, usually a 250. I recommend a bigger one, myself. The EX-500.;) There are others.

·
Registered
48 Posts

i am 17, and my first motorcycle was/is an 02 gsxr-600. it was my first time riding a motorcycle, besides riding a few dirt bikes here and there. the first time i got on it, it was scary as hell. it felt wierd at first but i got used to itafter a while. if you have a respect for the power that the bike has, and good throttle control you should be okay, but i think it would be better to ride another motorcycle for a while first. even if you dont buy one, if you have a friend that has one u can ride. i have also heard alot of people say to get a junk motorcycle to learn on, then re-sell it and THEN get your 600 or whatever. it is a risk and is pretty scary to jump right to a 600, but ultimately the choice is yours.

·
Registered
515 Posts
+1

there's a huge debate on whether or not its ok to start w/ a 600cc sportbike. i have 2 friends that started on modern 600s, one started w/ a '00 R6 and another started w/ a '00 gsxr-6 and both look like they're pretty comfy on their bikes. at the same time i've seen a girl who bragged about how easy and forgiveable the new gixxers are as starter bikes during msf class, and during the riding course couldn't turn and lean to save her life... in fact all she did was complain how the class was useless because everything was slow instead of soaking up everything the instructors had to offer. :(

looks like you've been reading and are well informed but you're dead set at getting yourself an R6 so you shouldn't rlly need anyone to say its ok for you to do it as i'm willing to bet you're not going to change your mind NEway. well, better than starting w/ a liter bike at least :D

btw welcome to the site :)

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
It just depends, and I agree, new 600s aren't good mount to learn on, certainly not R6. It's been my experience that 600s are rather chore to ride for regular traffic riding, unlike SV650, there's no instant torque, just rev and rev and wait. All the immense hp is reserved for top end.

When you get to the powerband, then it's too much for traffic and you're asking for collision when you're doing this around cars. Bikes like SV and EX500 have plenty of low end grunt and midrange to get around town, a lot more useful.

And then when you get to the curves, anytime you're carrying a moderate lean through a corner, you must be aware of the rpm range and have good throttle control on a 600. Being in the powerband through the corner is not a good thing for the inexperienced, as it could easily result in a highside. Beginner bikes have even pull, so they're much compliant on tolerating mistakes.

However, if you travel around place with mainly straight roads and stay off the powerband, you could get away with it as long as it's older 600. But compared to beginner bikes, they're not easy to steer in low speeds and brakes are really sensitive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No 600 for me...Thanks

Thanks for all the good info guys on new bikes for beginners. I've decided that i'd rather have more fun with a starter bike than with a 600 RR. Not to mention more safety...

Now, would a Ninja 250r or ex 500 be a reasonable place to start for someone looking to get into things? Profile is 33 yr old, 2 kids, no tickets, blah blah...basically I've got too many responsibilities to screw this up.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Ninja 250 or 500 are great bikes to start on. Or a Suzuki GS500. You'll learn much easier and quicker than starting out on a 100+hp bike that's just going to scare you.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Check out the SV650. It has a the linear power delievery of a starter, a good low end of a twin, and the modern looks.

·
Registered
264 Posts
If I had kids, there would be no bike. I couldn't risk it with all the boneheaded drivers these days.

Anyway, I started on an R6, but I have grown up racing dirt bikes, so I had a good understanding of peaky power and throttle,braking etc control. I am also a big guy which I think helps. I haven't had any close calls(knock on wood) due to inexperence, just people pulling out in front of me etc...

·
Registered
66 Posts
well, i'm a new rider on a '05 kawasaki 636, and i don't agree with the whole "start on a small bike" i say go for it, i had no problems keeping the bike under control or learning the controls on it, think this way, a 636 may have 125 hp at the engine on a 365lbs bike, but if you don't twist the throttle, you won't feel any of that power, have self control and better yet, some fear and respect for what your sitting on. i say go for the new 600 and have a great bike for a good while, instead of an already outdated 600, that will need to be replaced in a few more years.

:2cents:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Why would an older 600 need to be replaced? There's so much power there for any average rider to handle keeping a respectable pace. And these bikes are bulletproof, take care of the bike, and it starts up everytime, Are you going replace that ZX-6R next year? I bet it'll be outdated on 2006 supersport shootouts.

They're also cheaper to purchase, insure, and replace parts, and there's still less woe to dropping an old bike than a brand new one.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I haven't been on a 600cc, but the 750 I have has plenty of power that didn't get me into too much trouble when I first got the bike. Granted, it's a sport-tourer so the powerband is not as peaky - so it doesn't surprise you as much, or scare you, depending on how you look at it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been riding for only 6 months. My prior experience on bikes was minimum (down the block and back). I purchased my first bike a 2001 R6 and love it.:-D

My 2001 has enough power, that if I need to speed I can.

I'm 28 married with two kids and all of the stuff that comes with been a responsible individual.

Like one other reply was said, it's all about *self control*. As long you have respect for the power that you are in control of ,and remember all that can be lost in a split second, I don't think that it would be a big deal.

Good luck!

·
Registered
515 Posts
i'll agree to self control and all that good stuff, i think a large amount of riding has to do w/ a rider's mentality and maturity... but experience is also a huge factor, what to do in certain situations don't always come naturally.

as for not twisting the throttle, as a noob, i'll admit to accidentally goosing it on more than one occassion so just because you say you won't do it doesn't mean it won't happen :D

don't get me wrong, i don't mind people starting on 600's (I'd be a hypocrite if I said otherwise) for me it was just the choice of starting on something older because its something I can afford to ride and drop when the time comes (and it did). I do get slightly peeved, since coming onto these forums, to see people post excuses as to why they should be an exception to good advice given in these forums. like they need to convince us to convince them that its ok to get that 7-8k OTD brand spankin' new bike as a first ride.

just my :2cents:
and yes I am jealous of those who can afford to get new rides like that :twofinger

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've been riding dirtbikes for years, and i just got a 99' cbr f4 as my first bike. I agree that a smaller bike is better in almost everyway to learn on, but my current financial situation, and starting school soon made me take the leap to a 600. Its not too bad if you keep the rpms below 8k. Its possible, just not ideal.

But yes, for right now, its such a waste of a machine. Im using 3% of its capabilities. But i plan to grow with the same bike, so thats my situation.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i didn't mean to sound like an older 600 can't keep up or doesn't stack up, i just hear people talking like they aren't anything compared to the newer 600s,(which sounds to me like nonody wants them for long periods of time, learn and sell to get the new one).....anyway, my main point was be cautious and careful respect the rocket you have under you and anybody should be fine. also about twisting the throttle, i meant conciously wanting to break the sound barrier, i too have goosed when i wasn't trying :)

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Titanium6r said:
well, i'm a new rider on a '05 kawasaki 636, and i don't agree with the whole "start on a small bike" i say go for it, i had no problems keeping the bike under control or learning the controls on it, think this way, a 636 may have 125 hp at the engine on a 365lbs bike, but if you don't twist the throttle, you won't feel any of that power, have self control and better yet, some fear and respect for what your sitting on. i say go for the new 600 and have a great bike for a good while, instead of an already outdated 600, that will need to be replaced in a few more years.

:2cents:
How long have you been riding? You think you got it all figured out by now?

I'm so tired of this whole self control thing. Self control as in you will never go fast? Bullshit. If you arent planning on speeding or going to the track, you wouldnt have bought a sportbike. There are cheaper fassion accessories. So you got a fast bike, and you plan to go fast on it. Its ok to admit that, no one is going to write you a ticket. So when you go out, and you do push your skills, are you going to have what it takes to control the bike when it does something you dont expect?

·
Registered
376 Posts
So when you go out, and you do push your skills, are you going to have what it takes to control the bike when it does something you dont expect?
If you do get the 600, I think the best thing is to push your limits very gradually over a long period of time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
no i don't have it all figured out, but i know what "learning" to ride means, taking your time to know what the bike will do in all situations, yeah i bought a fast bike to go fast but i'll tell you this, since i started riding in august, i havn't had that bike up past any speed limit anywhere, highway or not, that is what i call self control, i have had fast cars in my past i know what 130 and 140 feels like visually, and what it feels like to accelerate fast as hell. but not on a bike, and untill i feel i can handle that, i have self control, even riding with my experienced friends, when thay take off, i just catch up eventually for now, not saying i won't get to the point where i'm hauling ass all over the place,i know i will gradually, a little further each ride, but we were talking about LEARNING on a 600 not being experienced on one. i didn't have the luxury of learning on dirt bikes when i was kid, or riding dads cruiser, mainly cause dad wasn't around and he didn't have a cruiser anyway!. i made a choice to learn to ride. and unfortunetly all the MSF classes were filled right through winter so i plan on doing it first thing in the spring, but damn if i didn't go out and push my self to learn in the safest manner possible. and that was days of up and down my street till i was comfortable enough to go into traffic and real situations. that i feel is most certainly self control, jumping on the thing and acting like your a freakin pro the first day cause you think your bike makes you look cool, hauling ass all over the place and killing yourself or someone else, is not self conrtol thats ignorance, and thats a fassion accessory.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right track. Good for you, keep it up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts