Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All these new riders buying liter bikes, I want to know the reasons for buying a liter bike over a 600.

Just curious to here their reasoning.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like good reasons to me, here is my responses,

"because its faster" is the most common I have heard.
Just the person that needs a liter bike!

"because the price was right. "
Still should be able to get a 600 cheaper.

" Because my friends have them, and I want to be able to keep up."
Where in the hell are your friends riing fast enough that a 600 won't keep up?

"It's only 150 hp... my car has like 250-300."
Tell me when this guy comes to my town, i'm gonna put my bike away and stay at home!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think the most common reason is because they want to have the biggest and fastest. Say your on a 600 and a guy on a liter bike pulls up next to you, you suddanly feel incompetant because " ohhh its a 1000 it must be alot faster" What noob's just need to know is that yes they have more torque, but look at the 1/4 mile times, almost identical. :squid: When ever i hear a person with no riding experiance say they want a liter bike, i just reaspond, you'll kill your self in a day.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
For new riders or for riders period?

When I was picking a bike, I was looking at the 636. In the older days liters were faster but heavier. That changed, given that the 6r and 10r are less than 20lbs apart. The price difference being fairly small, I opted to "go all the way". Just so that I wouldnt have the "what if" in the back of my head. I knew that I wouldnt be any faster on a liter, but I also knew that I could handle one without it scaring me (which I wasnt entirely right about)

·
Registered
609 Posts
I've heard:

"May as well do it right."

"A 600 is too small for me(physically)."

"I'm going to move up eventually anyway, don't want to bother buying/selling a bike I'm going to get sick of."

·
Registered
675 Posts
don't get me wrong i don't think it's a good idea...

but it can be done.... there are people out there that have started on a big bike and learned respect and to be safe...

It just makes no sense to me..... It's all EGO... they don't care how well they ride it but just want to look cool... sitting on it in the pking lot.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Theres only one REAL reason to get a liter bike for street use over a 600 and that is you have more power on demand throughout the powerband.

If you are riding along in 6th and want to pass, dropping a gear isn't a neccisty. Basically it boils down to being able to compensate for bad/lazy riding techniques. Not that that is a bad thing. Sometimes I dont feel like dropping a gear when I really should and wished I had the extra ccs on tap.

The trade off is that there is a lot more power there for you to get into trouble with, i.e. wiping out in mid turn.

But like I have always said, a good rider will tear up most posers on liter bikes with an EX500.

Liter bikes dont make you faster, because in all reality most the squids on them couldnt push a 250 to its limits let alone that beast between their legs. Most buy it for the prestige/ego.

What is funny to me kinda relates to what Vash said though. People are always trying to make their 600s faster, with pipes, pc, etc. Like they need more power when they arent using half of what they have already. Too me if I wanted a faster bike then my 600, I would of gotten a liter bike.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Well I had planned on getting a new bike next spring but I guess I def will now that my katana is near dead. I am debating on whether I want to buy an R1 or an R6. I was planning on getting an R1 but after looking at prices and guessing how much insurance for a 1000 is the R6 is much cheaper and I hear it is a lot easier to throw a 600 around a corner than a 1000. The title wieght on my katana is 460 pounds so a r6 should be light as a feather. I gotta say my reason for getting a R1 over a R6 would be that I would be moving up sooner or later anyway. Unless I come into money I think I will be getting the R6 and saving a extra grand or two for full leather, possibly an new helmet and maybe a crash cage however I need to learn a little more about the cages before I decide on one.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The question is why would you ever really move up? It wont make you any faster on the track, and the r6 can't be pushed to anywhere near its limits on the street.

I really think people greatly under estimate the ability of modern 600 cc bikes.

Anyone that wants to get a liter over a 600 I say knock yourself out, but the rationale that you will out grow a 600 just isnt valid.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I posted this within another thread, and it's perfect for THIS thread:

Heck, some people can control a throttle, some can't. I don't like seeing/hearing of anyone wreck due to whatever reason. IMO this is what freedom is all about, the ABILITY to make a choice. Although it's generally a good idea to get a smaller CC bike, like speeding, stunting, and whatever else, there are people out there that CAN do it responsibly. I admit, I could've handled a liter bike for my first bike. As with xxxxx, I had significant dirtbike experience. Think flying down a "road" full of boulders at 45 is any less dangerous than 110 in a straight line on the highway?

I dunno, that's my tirade for the day. Personal freedoms are disappearing every day. At some point, enough squids keep dying on liter bikes, we're going to end up with a graded licensing system like the UK. Not a bad idea, but this is the fucking U.S.A., and I really, REALLY, hate it when people try to make decisions for me...

When that time comes, might as well wipe your ass with the Constitution and try to join the EU!

:finger: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I totally agree with you M. Squid. If you want a liter bike, get one. I just would like people to realize why they are really getting one.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Angrypenguin said:
I totally agree with you M. Squid. If you want a liter bike, get one. I just would like people to realize why they are really getting one.
:thumb:

w3rd. I guess it's better to say you want one simply because you do rather than, "'cause it's better than a 600..."

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'll tell you a few reasons why I want a liter bike or maybe even bigger. Sure a 600 is plenty fast enough and handles great, any of them will outperform me. First, I'm big! 5'10" 250lbs. The bigger bikes usually have a little more relaxed ergos than the 600's. Second, I'm a power junkie... there is never enough power to me. Third, I want to be able to just twist and be gone... I don't want to have to shift all the time to keep the bike in the powerband.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
blaster668 said:
I'll tell you a few reasons why I want a liter bike or maybe even bigger. Sure a 600 is plenty fast enough and handles great, any of them will outperform me. First, I'm big! 5'10" 250lbs. The bigger bikes usually have a little more relaxed ergos than the 600's. Second, I'm a power junkie... there is never enough power to me. Third, I want to be able to just twist and be gone... I don't want to have to shift all the time to keep the bike in the powerband.
I dont know how else to say it, but maybe you need a cruiser. No, modern liters do no have more relaxed ergo's. They are just as cramped. And as for the "twist and go", well thats missing the whole point to me. I'm constantly on the tranny, dropping 2-3 gears at a time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
lol, you wouldn't catch me dead on a cruiser. It's just different riding styles man. Like I said, the 600 is plenty fast... but they are just about dead below like 8000 rpm's. I don't like that, not one bit. And I know the current 1000's are cramped that's why I'm not looking at them. I'm looking at some older 1000's and bikes like the zx12, Busa, etc...

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, i have been riding sportbikes, on the street, and on the track, for several years. I started on a 98 gsxr 750, then bought a 2001 zx6r back in 2001, last year i started looking for a new bike, i wanted a gixxer 750, but could not afford one, i had $8000 cash, now you have to understand i am very picky, all my bikes are extremely clean, and i have to buy the cherrie. So i started looking, i ran into a 2003 gixxer 1000, 1700 miles, extremely clean, pipe,power commander, flush mounts, undertail,k&n, absolutey prfect, and the price was right. Now i am wanting to get rid of it, sure you can do a wheelie anytime you want first three gears, sure you can rip the rear tire off at any moment, but try to ride one through the twisties, they are BEAST'S.

I want a 750, and i am convinced that their are few people who actually need the 1000, and fewer who can ride them to their potential.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts