Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I'm new to the whole motorcycle thing, and I'm hoping to get my liscense in the next year. I've been looking at a few bikes, but not sure what to go with. I'm thinking about the gsxr 600, FZ6R, YZFR6, and the CBR600RR.

What are things I should take into account when buying a bike(used and new), and what are your opinions on these bikes? I'm a student, so money is kind of an issue(although, I aint no homeless kid :p). If it matters, I'm 6', 160lbs.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts
Welcome!

Have you considered the SV650? Very capable bike that would cost less than any of the inline 4s you mentioned, and would be far more forgiving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Although it's stock colours are pretty plain, I kinda like the style of the sv650. What do you mean by more forgiving?

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts
Although it's stock colours are pretty plain, I kinda like the style of the sv650. What do you mean by more forgiving?
By more forgiving I'm referring to the bike's ability to let you get away with a mistake. The more race oriented bikes will not cut you much slack in response to user error, where something a little more timid such as the SV will allow easier recovery from minor errors. Not to call the SV a slouch by any means. I get passed by riders on SVs on the track occasionally. But that's talent, not motorcycle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Look, Check into the pre 07' Kawasaki 250 Ninja. 60 to 70mpg manual valve adjustment (screw and locknut not shims) light fairly cheap and a gas to ride. I have a 2006 and a 2010 models in my collection and its a great do/go everything everywhere bike. If thats to small, try the Kaw 500 Ninja way fun for not much money and they are both good starter bikes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't know if you are into older bikes but I would go with a 91-95 Kawasaki ZX7 or a 95+ ZX6R. You could get one really cheap now and parts are easy to find.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts