Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up, Well first off I'm 18 and brand new to motorcycles and have never even operated one before...But am looking for a new hobbie and this seems like one I'd have fun with. I'm seeking advice on what kind of bike I should get, my price range can be pretty flexible so that shouldn't be a problem...I was looking at the ninja zx6 and I know that a bike like this may not be suggested to a begining rider but I also find this bike to be the most appealing to me, appearance and price. Has anyone here started out on this bike or something similiar and had some experiences you'd like to share? Well any advice and suggestions for a "newbie" rider would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Mate, the best thing you could do is read some of the other "what bike should I start with" threads.

Welcome to SBW! :D

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Start out on a smaller bike & something that will not give you trouble. I would highly advise the 500cc vertical twins by both Suzuki & Kawasaki. Forget the idea of a sportbike as they are for experienced riders.

M/cing is not just a hobby, but a sport & you know anyone in sports starts at the bottom & works their way up.

We would like to say start our on a 125 in the dirt & work you way up to a 250 in dirt. Then a year after you could try the 500 bikes mentioned above. Still we are stepping over the best bit of training & saying start out on a 500.

Still before that we suggest that you take the MSF Course for in many States you need that before you can have a m/c license. They teach you so much it will send your head spinning, but all professionally done & so many with dreams of 600cc sport bikes or even more have changed their mind to something far simpler to start learning on.. All because a m/c is something you have to balance & cornering is a certain amount of leaning to also trying to hang onto the pavement for traction so that you & the bike do not end up landing on your ear---on the pavement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies but I already know that this is a bike for experienced riders...that's fine it's still gonna be a 600cc that I'm going to start out on, I'm gonna take the risk of not liking it or possibly eating shit. We do have those classes here in oregon and I'm going to take them, it's a three day class I heard and we're required to take them to get our endorsment. But I'm not gonna be riding this as a daily driver this is just gonna be something to mess around with on the weekends, but when I ride it I will ride it responsibly until I get the feel of how to ride it...and I'm sure it doesn't take a genius to operate a bike, but that I will find out as soon as I hop on one, if I fall I'm not gonna give up I will get back on it and ride again...Hopefully, so what sort of 600 would any of you suggest for a new rider? and don't say none becuase I wont listen...thanks anyways though:burnout:

·
Registered
97 Posts
I thought the same way you did when I bought my first bike....I thought "I'll be responsible blah blah blah" thing is once you get on it, its hard to be responsible cause the "newness" is overwhelming at first and you cant think of anything but seeing how fast you can go and all that....after flipping the bike going 30 mph and dropping it numerous times me and my bike have finally connected :love:....hopefully whatever bike you get will be as forgiving as mine is...dont be surprised if you are going maybe 2 mph going into a sand driveway or something then all of a sudden the bike is on the ground in under second leaving you there going wtf just happened??:wtf: ... i would advise getting something smaller but really have no ground to stand on that seeing as how thats not what I did...but anyway, goodluck :thumb:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
If you absolutely insist on a 600, try the SV650 (SV650S w/ lower fairing for the "fast" look), or an f4i. Better yet an older f3 or f2. Todays 600s are more powerfull than the liter bikes of late 90's. Just how are you going to feel when the bars start wiggling from side to side when you exit a corner? Or when you downshift and the rear tire locks up and slides from side to side?

Operating a bike doesnt take a genius, but it does take expirience. A responsive bike like a race replica is only going to give you one chance to make the right imput, after that its going to throw you off. And I'm sure you know that there is a difference between knowing what to do, and doing the right thing instinctivly. I'm not saying you arent worthy of riding (or anything like that, I know this sounds condicending, but it isnt) just spend a few thouthand miles on something abit less deadly.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
HelterSKelter said:
What's up, Well first off I'm 18 and brand new to motorcycles and have never even operated one before...But am looking for a new hobbie and this seems like one I'd have fun with. I'm seeking advice on what kind of bike I should get, my price range can be pretty flexible so that shouldn't be a problem...I was looking at the ninja zx6 and I know that a bike like this may not be suggested to a begining rider but I also find this bike to be the most appealing to me, appearance and price. Has anyone here started out on this bike or something similiar and had some experiences you'd like to share? Well any advice and suggestions for a "newbie" rider would be appreciated, thanks.

My starter bike : 2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R (636cc)

would I recommend it for another rider? Yes.
Would I recommend it for someone who grew up on dirtbikes? Yes.
Would I recommend it for someone who has never ridden before? Absolutly not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay so I know that I'm gonna be getting an older 600 but here is the real question thats been on my mind how much is insurance gonna be on one of these for an 18 year old male? And yes zrxr1033 I've already heard it... "don't start out on a 600" maybe I won't like it but that I will find out today, but if anyone knows what insurance is averaged on a bike let me know itd be appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Insurance varies too much from state to state and company to company. In my expirience state farm is good on sportbikes, becouse they consider the CC's not the style of bike (naked/Race rep). You are better off calling them and getting a quote.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah it does vary alot, I called state farms and they were saying 4000 a year! that's insane so I called progressive and it was about 635 a year and about $51 a month, that sounds like a really good deal considering its for a 600cc and a male rider...I have to consider that I'm paying $150 a month on my car also so this will be about $200 a month for insurance on both and it sounds like it'll work out really well... Hopefully by this time next week I will have decided on what bike to get, any more suggestions out there? I'm 6'0 168 lbs will the ninja 600 be right for me? I saw the sv650s and they seem like good little bikes but just not something that I'm gonna want to keep for along time if I get it, and that's the reason I was looking at the ninjas...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I got a real good deal with progressive too... then again I'm older and have the safety course and a real good record under my belt, sounds like you got a great deal with them. Your best bet is probably to get an independent insurance salesman who will get quotes for you from several different companies. This has a slightly adverse affect on your credit since all the companies the salesman checks with usually run a credit check and bunches of credit checks at once aren't good, however, the affect is minimal and it could save you hundreds or thousands in the long run. Sounds like the deal you got with Progressive is pretty close to as good as it's gonna get for you. As far as what kind of bike you should start out on it sounds to me like you've pretty much made up you're mind and think if you ask enough times everyone will suddenly approve. Sorry bruh, not trying to knock anyone in here but I've seen too many people start off on the wrong bike and end up hurt real bad to do that. I'd say the GS500, Suzuki Katana 600, or another sport=tourer, or maybe a new ninja 250. I know that's not what you want to hear but it's probably in your best interest to start on a bike like that, which is a bit slower, more forgiving, and easier to handle. When I say easier to handle I mean those bikes along those lines can turn on a dime and you have a lot of freedom in the steering. Sportbikes are a little more difficult to manage and they need to be eased into, not dived into. Good luck in your quest and always ride safe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I just got back from looking at a 2003 kawasaki ninja zx6r, It seemed to fit me perfect...both my feet touched the ground and it feels pretty light. I haven't ridden it yet though and I need to get my endorsment but that shouldn't be too hard, theyre asking 6500 for it but are willing to negotiate, it has 1100 miles on it and is in mint condition...I heard it running and sounds great, it's only a one seater though so no room for a girl that's gonna suck but I'll live, does the price sound too steep for this bike? keep in mind theyre willing to negotiate but I bet theyd only bring it down about 1500 or so depending on how much they paid for it though.

·
Registered
99 Posts
New User

I learned the aspects of shifting, braking, and falling over as a young teen on my friend's dirtbike. Then for my first "street" bike I bought one of the first Suzuki Bandit 400's back in 1991. I took an MSF course with that bike. I rode that for two years before being rear-ended on GA 400 by a pickup truck. I survived that BUT the bike was totalled. I stayed away from the sport for about 10 years before buying a ZX-6R in 2002. When I drove it away from the dealer I was quite nervous by it's jerky albeit responsive feel. Now it feels like a moped to me and I'm ready for anything over 1000cc's. My point is that even though I knew the basics, the 600 class sportbikes are not that great for a true beginner. It pays to go throught the motions of learning SLOWLY.
:2cents:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts