Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at a bike last night that will be my first/learner...

I'm a new rider, I know the bike fits me, so that's not an issue. The bike is a 1996 Kawasaki Ninja 500 with 16,000 miles on it. It is newly inspected with a fresh oil change. The owner is asking $2,000 OBO. It has an aftermarket fairing on it by Targa?

So, my questions are:

1. What else should I know about this bike and what should I look for?

2. Is that a good/fair price for that year of bike with that mileage? I know that 3,000 miles a year average is fair and this bike is below that... I was thinking of offering him $1,400?...

Thanks for your time,

-SATAYO

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Frame dents. Plastics that are rashed. Brake and tire wear. Fluid levels. Oil change records. Bottoms of footpegs and grips for indications of having been down.

These aren't so much show-stoppers as they are leverage for a lower price.

IMO, you shouldn't be paying extra for aftermarket mods unless you were certain you'd do the exact same modification.

For price ranges on the bike, refer to NADA or Kelley's Blue Book (both avail free online).

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
My opinion that you arent going to save enough on the price of the bike to make the unpleasant negotiations worth while. But maybe you dont find them as unpleasant as I do.

All the things posted earlier arent show stoppers, but here are some that are.
Bent forks.
Busted fork seals
Bent frame/subframe.
Warped brake rotors

Other things to keep an eye on
Tire condition
Properly bled brakes.
Chain and sprocket condition.

Its really best, if possible to bring a friend (who knows about bikes) along with you to look at the bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PASSED MY MSC...

Well, I think/hope I'm ready to ride... I passed my MSC this weekend and I looking to forward to learning more. This class was my first time riding and I loved...but still have lots to learn.

I've got most of my equipment, helmet, gloves, jacket and boots... Now all I need is a bike...I'm pretty much set on a Ninja 500R... to start with. It's something to learn on and get comfortable riding before I move up to a CBRF4I, CBR600RR or a ZX6... But right now, the Ninja 500R should be plenty to learn on...plus it fits me pretty well...

I'll probably find one over the winter and have it for next riding season...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Highly suggest you pick up some pants as well :) Leather looks great and performs just as great.

Why neglect your legs? Do yourself a favor and invest - jeans or similar pants will last only a few tenths of a second sliding across pavement - after that - it is your skin.

Don't skimp on pants :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts