Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, i'm a new rider, and i'm buying my first bike on saturday. I found an R1 that I like after patiently scoping craigslist and cycletrader since early october every day (literally).

I live in Minnesota, so I obviously wont be riding home. It'll get driven home in the back of the truck, and tucked away in storage until the roads are clear enough to safely ride.

So, while it's sitting, I need to do some research on gear that i'll need to be wearing. A helmet obviously, and what else should I be looking at? I know i'll want gloves, but is stuff like a jacket/pants necessary?

Should I be going local to get a helmet to make sure I find one that fits, or is that something that can/should be ordered over the internet?

Thanks for the help, Much appreciated

·
Registered
265 Posts
:confused:

r1 as a first bike? not a very good choice. If youre commited on buying this bike, a helmet (SNELL approved), armored gloves, full leather jacket, abrasion resistant (armored if possible) pants, and motorcycles boots (high cut that offers stiff ankle protection) is gonna be NECESSARY for you. A frame slider, both front and rear, should be on the top of your list to buy too. Also, a very good insurance, cause youre gonna need full coverage.

I'm not trying to bash you or anything, but having a 1000cc as a first bike is pretty dangerous... I know I know, I've heard the arguement from other new riders "I'm a mature person", "I dont want to buy a 250cc because I'll end up getting bore on it after a month", or "I'm gonna take it slow", and many more excuses. I've ridden a 250nighthawk and currently ride an f4, and when I jumped onto a my buddy's 2000 r1, it still surprised the heck outta me. Unlike lower displacement bikes, which needs to get to the powerband before you start feeling the pull on the bike, a liter bike as A LOT of torque right of the bat, which increases your risk of getting hurt or either crashing or dropping the bike.

I'm just saying.... you might want to rethink about buying the r1.
learing clutch and throttle control, isnt exactly easy or safe on a liter bike, but its all up to you though... good luck and stay safe

the way you're asking if you really need jackets/pants for riding, I'm making the assumption that you've never ridden a sportbike before. If youre seasoned and have years and years of experience, ignore my whole comment! :D but then again, if youre really experienced, you shouldnt be asking if pants & jackets are necessary.:thumbs2:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I asked the jacket/pants necessity question because almost everyone i see cruisin around here (summer time, of course) dont have anything but a jacket, IF that at all.

my old man's harley guy, and he'll occasionally bust out the leather jacket and chaps, so he's left the impression that its not totally necessary. all the rocket riders around here, it'd be rare to see them with a helmet on, let alone leather.

what are some reputable brands for helmets?

·
Registered
447 Posts
iam going to put this as clear as i can for you.
only a fool rides without gear and i know there are a lot of them out there but if you want go to utube and look at some of the wrecks on there without gear and some with gear, that will make up you mind i hope.
now a r1 as a first bike is a big mistake unless you want to kill yourself, with no riding experance you will not be able to properly ride a liter bike which could have some very bad outcomes.
these bikes are nothing like your dads HD alot more power with alot less weight.
get a bike to learn on first then upgrade in a couple years when you have learned how to ride correctly.
the sv650 is a good bike to learn on and some of the older 600 but not the rr's or the supersports.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
joegibs said:
So, while it's sitting, I need to do some research on gear that i'll need to be wearing. A helmet obviously, and what else should I be looking at? I know i'll want gloves, but is stuff like a jacket/pants necessary?

Should I be going local to get a helmet to make sure I find one that fits, or is that something that can/should be ordered over the internet?
To answer your questions directly, yes, get a helmet locally to ensure you get the one that best fits your head. Yes, in your case especially, jacket and pants are going to be must-haves.

And welcome to SBW :cheers:

·
Registered
265 Posts
joegibs said:
Thanks for the reply. I asked the jacket/pants necessity question because almost everyone i see cruisin around here (summer time, of course) dont have anything but a jacket, IF that at all.

my old man's harley guy, and he'll occasionally bust out the leather jacket and chaps, so he's left the impression that its not totally necessary. all the rocket riders around here, it'd be rare to see them with a helmet on, let alone leather.

what are some reputable brands for helmets?
brands doesnt really matter in my opinion. Just go up to a dealership and try on their helmets. Fit is a crucial thing with helmets, cant be too tight and definetly not too loose. Just make sure the helmet youre gonna buy is DOT and SNELL approved. Different brands will have different fits on your head, so the more you try the better.

as far as jackets and pants, I treat them as part of the bike. I dont ride if I'm not wearing the right gear. I'm a nurse and i've seen first hand what a crash would do to a person, and have seen the comparison when a rider is wearing safety gear or not. Here in alabama temps during the summer are at around hi 90s but still I wear leathers or sometimes mesh jackets that are abrasion resistant. You never know when a car is gonna run you off the road or riding over a patch of gravel.

My philosophy with protection (motorcycle safety gear & condoms): I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. :twofinger

by the way..... are you really that commited to buying the bike already?

·
Registered
196 Posts
sscottab said:
now a r1 as a first bike is a big mistake unless you want to kill yourself

zxrider said:
R1 as a first bike eh?

Yes, buy gear. Lots of gear. You're gonna need it.

jeeze dont give the guy a heart attack..everyone is so negative:confused:
I think you guys scared the man enough.

On a side note, that is a big bike man...be responsible and make good decisions..and you'll love the world on 2 wheels:cheers:

·
Registered
265 Posts
:D

scare tactics work pretty good. Besides, what everyone was saying was true. I think his safety was our best intrest when everyone started giving those, somewhat, harsh advice.Liter bikes are nothing to be messed with by new riders! But its all up to him. We'll see.

what ever bike you buy... ride safe, wear full gear, and keep shiny side up:thumbs2:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I fully appreciate the concern about my safety. That is after all what i'm posting about asking about helmets and such.

I dont plan on doing anything stupid on my bike, it's more so going to be a go out and cruise on days off and for transportation for work. I drive a 5.2 liter v8 jeep daily, and gas gets kiiiiinda expensive, so I thought this would be perfect for driving out of town, weather permitting. When I want to drive like a jackass or just push my luck in general, I have my jeep. I feel comfortable driving 'stupid', if you will, because i'm on 4 wheels with a seat belt and a roof over my head.

Back to helmets. Should I go to the local Yama dealer or would finding a specialty store or a sporting store be the way to go? I live in a smaller town, so if need be i'll go up to a major sporting store out of town.

·
Registered
265 Posts
joegibs said:

Back to helmets. Should I go to the local Yama dealer or would finding a specialty store or a sporting store be the way to go? I live in a smaller town, so if need be i'll go up to a major sporting store out of town.
Going to stores out of town will probbly be your best bet. Like I said, the more helmets you try on, the better. The helmet should be snug enough where its not gonna fall off your head when you tilt your head upside down, but not too tight where its very uncomfortable (note that there will be some discomfort because the helmet still needs to be broken in too). Again, buy a SNELL approved helmet. It will provide you more protection than just a DOT. You might want to look at some jackets too, cause believe me, I was cruising on my f4 when I hit a patch of black gravel on the road as I was turning and I lowsided. Thankfully I always wear leathers and after my 55mph crash, I skid on pavement for about 15ft then a few more feet on some gravel shoulder (right next to a 50ft embankment). Not a single scratch on me or the jacket itself. Also I had CE back armor on my jacket so that took the whole brunt of the fall. I was wearing racing boots, and didnt even feel any impact on my foot even though I hit the ground and my legs slammed onto the pavement.

Full protective gear should be your top priority!

As far as you "not planning to do anything stupid" is really not the issue. Its just that a small beginner error can cause a rider a lot of trouble, and magnify that 100x when your riding a liter bike. Gosh, those liter bikes got A LOT of low end torque/power, that if you accidentally flick the throttle, the bike would run off and leave you behind. Or another common mistake is dropping the clutch. If this happens on a liter bike, the bike will lunge a good distance then stall, then drop straight to the ground.

If its fuel economy youre looking for,....:D youre buying the wrong bike. r1's will eat just as much gas as a regular car and sometimes even worse if youre riding twisties. You'll have just as much fun and more MPG if you buy a smaller bike, lets say an SV650s. But then again, its all up to you

heres a pic of an sv650s. It only cost $4600

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well, I went to pick up the bike today, and everything went well. I now have a beautiful R1 sitting in my garage.

I think i'll do just fine with it. If it does end up being too much or just not what i'd like in a bike, I can always sell it, for probably more than I bought it for.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I guess its too late to try to convince you not to buy the bike:D

anyhow.... now you gotta be careful. Take an MSF course. Buy yourself full gear. and remember..... keep the shiny side up!

btw... nice bike:thumbs2:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
where's a good place to start looking for insurance? i dont mind at all going with one of those tv advertised companies if they're the cheapest.

i think im cursed to have to live in minnesota. now i have to look at this bike for months without being able to ride :(

OH OH OH!!! and i almost forgot, do i wax it like i would wax a car? or is there a different method to it that i should know about?

·
Registered
265 Posts
#1 you'll probbly have to shop around and get quotes from everybody. If youre over 25yr insurance on your bike shouldnt be too bad (its still gonna be stiff though, but even worse if youre under 25). All major insurances that I know off offer m/c insurance. I think up north, insurance companies offer coverage just for the riding season if you prefer it. During winter months where youre gonna be hybenating your bike, theres no coverage, but after winter, coverages come back up. I think you can customize that kind of policy. That way insurance is cheaper. You only pay for rideable months. Dont know though if every insurance company offers this, so like I said earlier, you'll just have to shop around.

#2 :p well... you can probbly start practicing on it in your garage/driveway. There is an exercise called "walking the clutch". Basically you try to get used to your clutch finding its gspot. No throttle is necessary for this exercise. When I bough my first bike, I practiced walking the clutch the first 2 days, and when I started adding some gas to it, I didnt stall the bike but a few times cause I got used to the clutch already.

#3 Yes,, you can wax it like a car. You just gotta be aware of what you can use to clean your chains. You dont want to damage your o rings by just cleaning it with any kind of solution. This might help

·
Registered
26 Posts
For the insurance you may want to check with your bank (if you have a loan). I know on mine here in wisconsin my bank requires me to have the collision part still in effect during the winter (in case something were to happen to it in the garage....not at all likely but [email protected]* happens). for me its cheaper to have the bank put its own insurance on it for the winter and go back to another company during riding times. Nice ride btw:cool:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I do have a loan on the bike, but it's an unsecured loan, meaning the bank has absolutely no ties to the bike. its basically a loan to do whatever the hell i want with the cash.

another Q: what octane fuel should i use? the tank is almost dry, and i want to put a gallon in to start it occasionally to let the fluids circulate

·
Registered
196 Posts
for fuel its octane 86 or higher.... thats what my F4i manual says. should be the same for pretty much all bikes. Just use the recommended octane and you'll be good.

on another note...i think you should fill the tank up all the way. same with cars..in this cold winter you dont want an empty tank. a full tank is recommended and better for your fuel pump. I think the gas deteriorates faster if there is less too. unless you add fuel stabilizer or something. I filled my tank full before i put it away...start it up occasionally to let her run a bit.!!

Great bike by the way!! :drool: looks really nice!
just ride safe and you can come back here and tell everyone that your another liter bike starter;)

Good luck too u!

im in Wisconsin..doesn't this winter suck?!?!!:cussing;

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WristTwister164 said:
im in Wisconsin..doesn't this winter suck?!?!!:cussing;
prior to saturday, i didnt mind it. but now, it's torture! i just wanna ride it around the block is all, is that asking too much :(

1 - 20 of 126 Posts