Sportbike World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you consider that a decent starter bike?

A good friend of mine just informed me that he's looking to sell his to upgrade.

It runs great but has been dropped 3 times leaving a few marks and a chip on the 'turn stop'(that's not the right term but it was something like that). I guess that can normally mean big trouble but his insurance company claimed it was purely cosmetic. He never fixed it and has driven it for 2 seasons since then and he says it still runs absolutely fine as far as he can tell.

Brand new tires. A few new other parts. He didn't have a clue as to what he would want for it but said he'd try to cut me a deal and would guess it's worth around 2,000 dollars but that was a guesstimate.

Anyone got any experienced input?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
1. the SV 650 makes a great starter bike! Its got a very smooth power band, its very easy to ride.
2. Many people turn them into track bikes. They easily accept gsxr suspension, and there are tons of spare parts for them out there. And they are cheap! On a side note: the stock front suspension really sucks. It will be great when you are learning, because of how un-intimidating it makes the bike, but as you pick up speed you will want to swap it.
3. Dont worry about the scuffs, you will likely add a few of your own. There is no point in getting a shiney first bike, its just asking to hurt your ego.
4. Not sure about the price. If I remember correctly the '00 SV is carbed, which would be one thing against in my book. But at 2k there isnt much of a point in arguing about the price too much, especially given that you guys are friends. I would not pay over 3k for it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right about the scuffs. This way if...err when I drop it, unless something freak happens, I won't be knocking 500-800+ dollars off its value since its been there, done that. :)

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
NOW, you're on track!

Yes, the SV-650 is a GREAT starter bike, my number one pick in fact. (and many others on this board)

Even with the damage described, $2000 is a great deal. You should definitely go for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts