Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know when, or if, Kawasaki plans to update or redesign the Ninga 500r. I know the Ninga's still an excellent bike, and is far from obsolete, but it amazes me that a bike (a sportbike at that!) can have that long a model life. It was mildly revamped in '94, but has basically remained the same bike for 15 years! How are these bikes currently selling for Kawasaki? Are they feeling any pressure to redesign the bike?

S

·
0 Posts
Hysyde said:
Does anybody know when, or if, Kawasaki plans to update or redesign the Ninga 500r. I know the Ninga's still an excellent bike, and is far from obsolete, but it amazes me that a bike (a sportbike at that!) can have that long a model life. It was mildly revamped in '94, but has basically remained the same bike for 15 years! How are these bikes currently selling for Kawasaki? Are they feeling any pressure to redesign the bike?
You must be getting sick of seeing me respond to every question of yours ;)

I think they are kawi's best seller or close to it. The Suzuki Katana has the same keep it simple attitude and they also sell very well.

Revamp ? Possibly just cosmetic.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: New Ninga 500r?

Squidwannabe said:
You must be getting sick of seeing me respond to every question of yours
Hey, anytime I can hear from a fellow Canadian rider (even one from Quebec...JK;)..alot great riders seem to come from there) is alright with me.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think kawasuckie is more concern about making the 6R better, than the 500R. If they try to make the 500R better, it won't cost what it cost now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Kawi will probably not spend too much time rethinking the 500r simply because the more time they spend on it the more they have to charge for it. It is an entry level sport bike. For a little more money you can buy a zx600. If the gap between the 500 and the 600 (not 600r) becomes too small, who would buy the 500? It is still a great bike for a new rider to learn his/her skills on.

·
Registered
288 Posts
HeckLer1979 said:
kawasuckie
Ass.

The 2002 Ninja 500R isn't being changed for 2002. As far as I know, the only difference will be in color, and they're bringin' back the red one.

Kawi has no reason to change the 500.... it is one of their best sellers (and always has been). I guess they figure "why change a good thing."

·
Registered
211 Posts
Spitfire said:

Ass.

The 2002 Ninja 500R isn't being changed for 2002. As far as I know, the only difference will be in color, and they're bringin' back the red one.

Kawi has no reason to change the 500.... it is one of their best sellers (and always has been). I guess they figure "why change a good thing."
Well, the engine is getting...how should I put it...the engine is getting old.

·
Registered
211 Posts
It is bad in some way for some experienced riders. But who cares cause I don't. I am just saying that 15 yrs. and nothing done to it just seems too old for me.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Just like the 250, the 500 won't be changed. Kawi has no real competition in that class becuase no one else is making them. They are just an entry level bike and there's not much competition, if any in that class. Personally after owning one, those inline two cylinders bikes leave something to be desired.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I still think they're a great entry or mid-level bike, but I know the thing I hated about mine the most was the sound. (I had stock pipes) Once your out in the twisties and into the higher rev range, they sound decent enough, but at idle and low speed my lawn tractor sounds better. I know sound's a trivial thing, but to me it adds alot to the riding experience.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts