Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I forgot to mention.
3 weeks ago I finished the MSF Instructor course. I ended up with strep throat near the end of the class and passed out due to dehydration on the last day. I passed out at home, not in front of the class. Just in front of my brother, who enjoyed the show very much. I didn't even get off the ground before the "Help, I've fallen and can't get up" jokes started. Little fukker!
So anyways, I am now a certified MSF Instructor. It pays okay, but I decided I wanted to do it cause it would be fun to teach newbies how to ride. Help someone else experiance into the pasttime that I love so much.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Congratulations! Nice of you to help out with some new guys. :)

Do they acknowledge a danger point after a little experience is acquired? Maybe around 3,000+ miles. That's a little personal observation of mine but never had it confirmed as valid. Maybe it's a quirk from too small of a sample.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Sheesh, they must be pretty desparate. :D

Good for you, it's great to have folks who are passionate about riding, rather than the anal-propellor-head types that marvel at citing death statistics.

With your humor, I'm sure you'll be an excellent instructor and remember, you will very likely save peoples lives because of your efforts. Heavy thought, eternal rewards.

Be well.

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Congratulations Jon!
Maybe you can teach some of us how to ride? :D
No seriously, this is really something important, and a great responsibility. No wheelies or endos when they can see you ;)

Aris

·
Registered
208 Posts
Dad said:
Congratulations! Nice of you to help out with some new guys. :)

Do they acknowledge a danger point after a little experience is acquired? Maybe around 3,000+ miles. That's a little personal observation of mine but never had it confirmed as valid. Maybe it's a quirk from too small of a sample.
They next time I'm in Florida I'll be sure to attend one of your instructed classes. I promise you'll never have a student like me :D :D

·
Registered
309 Posts
I hope more sport bike riders become instructors. When I took the class, they were all Harley people. It would have been nice to get an instructor with a different perspective on things.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Good job Jon. A good friend of mine passed the course and he says it is a tough one. I want to take the course myself someday. I miss the classroom. :cool:

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. The class wasn't too hard, but definitely took work. The absolute hardest thing was to stop riding with my "bad" habits. You know, use 4 fingers on front brake. Use rear brake. You are going too fast, you are going too slow. Stop locking the front tire up!
I agree about more sportbike riders being instructors. Mine was a harley rider, he was awesome, but we have a different perspective on riding I think. One thing I don't like is we were taught not to try scare tactics about riding gear etc. Might scare them away from riding etc. Well, I think that would be great. I would rather scare away people who don't use proper gear. Better for all of us.
Kind of fun watching my first class ever. Had a couple people who couldn't even walk the bike in neutral. Eventually got the hang of it and finished the class.
Most of the people in the class are 30-40s. Feels weird teach people that much my senior, but......

·
Registered
560 Posts
Please! I was just kidding, however I am aware that there IS a shortage of MSF instructors. The Nevada coordinator from Carson City (just up the road 10 mi.) has been after me to get certified as well. Unfortunately for me, I taught his nephew karate for the last year and he's under the impression that I'm a good teacher.

I'm about as passionate about bikes as I am about martial arts, so I suppose someday I'll do the class. It's all about time. I barely get enough family time, saddle time, training time, and simply rest...before considering adding MSF classes to my plate.

When I was younger, I never really understood how valuable time is. Now that I'm over the hill and picking up speed, I realize that time is my most valuable commodity.

I'm sincerely appreciative that you've gotten your instructor's certification. I'm sure you will find it a very rewarding activity. Without question, you will be responsible for saving people's lives, you just won't necessarily know about it. There is no greater pursuit in life, than to equip people for survival.

Go in peace & ride safe

Merry Christmas.

(note my tag line below

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Tahoe said:

When I was younger, I never really understood how valuable time is. Now that I'm over the hill and picking up speed, I realize that time is my most valuable commodity.

Go in peace & ride safe

Merry Christmas.
Ha...wait till ya get my age...then your over the hill, and time goes by at WARP SPEED...

Nice post Tahoe..:D

·
Registered
560 Posts
Thanks,

I'm a young 43, but I taught for 3.5 hours tonight and feel about 65, waiting for the Advil (Kenpo Kandy) to kick in :eek: Running a martial arts program as a hobby really can take it out of you. I ran testing tonight and promoted 14 folks...a nice way to send them into the holidays.

Teaching is such a rewarding experience that it is difficult for me to accurately articulate the reasons. I'm sure that teaching an MSF class would be simply a joy.

Hammer 4, this week sure feels like warp speed indeed!

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
I agree, with all that I've been through this week, I wish it would end...

I remember back in the 70's and 80's I was into Tung-soo-do for about 10yrs. bad back made impossible for me to continue, but to this day, I sure miss it..so I have some idea of what you go through..never got my Black belt, but then I heald back alot, went a year sometimes w/o testing, while everyone was in such a hurry to move up the ranks..although it was kinda nice, in free fighting to win over higher ranked belts..:D I felt, I got more out of the arts, if I consumed the smallest detail of a techneic, and prefected it, even the most basic of them..awh..see there ya got me rambling on..sorry...Oh..try Ibprofin 800...works wonders..:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts