Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 will produce the new GSXR600 and GSXR1000...can't wait. The new ZX7R will be out in 2001 or 2002....boooo. I found this info at amasuperbike.com

Trevor

------------------

·
Registered
503 Posts
why arent u excited about the new zx7? i personally dont think the 750 class is dead & the gsxr needs some competition.

------------------

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Not sure but I think his boos are because it may be 2002 before it's out. ;)

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Registered
66 Posts
i hope they eventualy straighten out the 12R, i love that bike but i aint touchin it till its right

------------------

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was booing at the delayed intro of the new 7R. i don't know why they would quit making 750s. A lot of superbikes are 750s, Kawi,Suz,Yam. I don't think the market for 750 would die if the SS was pulled. What would kawi and Suzuki use...maybe GSXR1000?? I can't wait to see the acual bikes.

Trevir

------------------

·
Registered
167 Posts
The 750 class is not dead but it is withering. Yamaha provides the perfect explanation. They have the R1 which doesn't weigh much more than the R6. Those two bikes cover the needs and wants of most sportbike riders. Splitting the difference with a 750 doesn't make much sense because the differences aren't that big anymore and given the additional cost of tooling up to make a third sportbike. So they made a trick, expensive, virtually race-only R7 to run in superbike.

Honda doesn't make a 750 repliracer, Kawasaki seems to have its priorities elsewhere. Only Suzuki is committed to the 750. The other companies seem to have decided they can make more money by focusing on 600s and 900s or liter-bikes, and they're probably right.

------------------

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i think there are people who want 750's, just not as many as there used to be when 600's were metal-framed bored and stroked 400's and open class bikes were heavy.

if you all would include the 1000cc v-twins in the 750 class (like racing organizations do in superbike and should in 750ss, of course it'd still be a suzuki cup race :p) you'd see the class is better than ever. just nine years ago there was the 851, the gsxr750, zx7 and zx7r (which wasn't that streetable).

the 996, 900ss, rc51, the tlr/s, vtr1000, gsxr750, the zr-7 and zx7r, maybe even let the vfr800 in again, wow, what a strong catagory, with a lot of different kinds of bikes. and everyone big manufacturer has at least two models, except for yamaha, who's sitting it out and harley, and maybe someday they'll build a street-legal vr1000.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

·
Registered
23 Posts
750's are surely not dead or going anywhere anytime soon. Heck, Suzuki could have brought their new 750 out and called it a 900 and no one would even know the difference without looking at the engine. Since it came out I have enjoyed listening to and reading all of the comments. It's amusing that a 750 is dead even with the R1, ZX9 and 929RR. If the 750 is running with them then we can only imagine what the GSXR1000 will do!

------------------

·
Registered
1 Posts
whazzzz up....
how will the 2001 GSXR 600 look like??
will it look like the 700 GSXR or what.
i ride a 98 600 and need a new one so may be the new 700 Gsxr but if the 2001 600 will look like its bigger bro then i would definetly stay with the 600s.... any one has any info...

------------------

·
Registered
328 Posts
It used to be that a 750 was the perfect street bike. That's because the 600's were too slow and unsophisticated, and the open bikes were too heavy and expensive.

Well, all that has changed in the last few years! The 600's are super-fast and loaded with technology. The open bikes are scary-fast, incredibly light, and dollar-for-dollar, they're a pretty good value.

So I can totally see the 750 class as we know it going away. The days of all the manufacturers producing full-sport, inline 4 750's is over. As the superbikes get more racetrack oriented, the MFR's will not be able to build 750's that split the difference between the 600's and Opens in the street market. I think unobtanium bikes like the R7 will become the norm. I wouldn't be surprised if the new ZX7RRR follows suit. Otherwise, you have a situation like the new GSXR, which is almost as fast as an R1, but it's almost as expensive as well! So what's the point? Why not just make it an open bike?

Also, the MFR's are slowly moving toward twins all the time. Look at the number of twins on the track already: 4 out of 7 so far, and Suzuki still talks about the TLR...

My feeling is that eventually , the 1000cc Twins will replace the 750's as a class of street sport bike. That's the way it is right now anyway, with the basic street bikes: The RC51, 996, RSV, TLR... They can't really run with the open bikes in street form, but they way outclass the 600's. They ARE the new 750 class!

Which is fine by me! Pick your flavor: High-revving, nimble middleweights? Ultra-fast, lightweight rocketships? Stump-pulling, canyon-carving wheelie monsters? What do you like? It's all good!

------------------
A fool and his money are soon partying.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Interesting point of view AZ. ;) I haven't quite thought about it in that context yet. It makes sense considering too, that the GPs are apparently going to allow ~990cc four strokes on the grid. Seems that the twins and the open classers may continue to be the most popular aside from the 600s. :cool:

I sure the 600s will continue to be a major focus of the manufacturers.

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

P

·
0 Posts
Yes, Scott, very interesting; some great food-for-thought.

------------------
Pete
"Ultimately, most problems can be solved by applying a large brick to the correct skull. Difficulties arise when you don't have a brick or can't find the the right skull. The Devil is always in the details."

·
Registered
328 Posts
Uh-oh. What happened to the planets this week? Not only are Pete and John both agreeing with me at the same time, but now I'm being compared to a Jim Rome clone! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Weird, wacky stuff...

------------------

P

·
0 Posts
Actually, Scott, my agreement with your statement was somewhat of a farce. See, over in the Moderator forum, where no one knows what we talk about, we were discussing the current rash of "Scott bashing". It was decided that if we could prove to the masses that you had something good to say once in a while, the bashing might cease and a newfound respect for your presence might be realized. Being the village idiot, it was I that was relegated to the task of brown-noseing you, hence my post.

:D :D :D :D :D

------------------
Pete
"The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of
age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that,
deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers."

·
Registered
68 Posts
hey AZ,
That's an interesting thought on the new twins. I haven't ridden a newer twin.
Are they good at doing wheelies, do you have to clutch or just throttle. ;)

Mike

------------------
A man's got to know his limitations

·
Registered
328 Posts
"Being the village idiot, it was I that was relegated to the task of brown-noseing you, hence my post."

Wheeeew! I knew something was up! Okay, so the world is as it was.

Tirefryer,
Yes, the new twins will power wheelie pretty much on demand. Just ask Pete! ;) If you get a chance to ride one, by all means, take it. They're pretty cool...

------------------

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think this talk of 750's going away is nonsense - the whole twin phenomenon will eventually cool off - right now it's a big deal because Ducati has trampled on everyone with 916 in WSB for so long. Sooner or later someone is going to bring a 900CC triple into WSB and stomp on everyone with THAT... And then the Japanese will all start making 900CC triples...

Could this be it?
http://www.benellitornado.com

------------------
"The woodman does more by skill than by brute force; by skill the pilot guides his storm-tossed barque over the sea, and so by skill one driver can beat another."

P

·
0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sui-tzu:
snip... the whole twin phenomenon will eventually cool off
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you say RC51? Or how 'bout Mille? :D :D

------------------
Pete
"The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of
age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that,
deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers."

1 - 20 of 24 Posts