Sportbike World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here, and this is my first post just wanted to say hello to everybody. I decided to take a plunge this summer and buy me a 04 Blue/White GSX-R600 that i always wanted. Being that i never rode anything more than mini bikes and dirt bikes i figured it would be good to take the msf course, and being done with that i am picking my bike up tomorrow.

A lot of people say its not fun to ride by yourself, I don't think i would mind though. A good buddy of mine is looking to pick up a 2000ish bike to ride but in the meantime i will be by myself, do you guys not like to ride alone?

Also whats the extended amount of riding time you gixxer guys can stay on the bike and be somewhat comfortable. I have about a 30 min drive to work and want to be able to make it and not have a hurting back when i get there.

Well take care and wish me luck!

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Good call taking the msf course. :thumb:

As far as riding alone, I pretty much always do. The only person I really ever ride with is my wife, but we're down to one bike now so it's pretty much always alone. The few times I've been in groups I wasn't a fan of it. Perhaps it was because I didn't know the other riders well, but I just felt unsafe around them. It seemed they were getting the group attitude as we rode on also, meaning someone would do something so the others felt they had to one-up him, and so on and so forth. I would break from the group quickly and do my own thing. When I'm riding by myself I can concentrate on becoming a better rider more. I do like getting in behind other lone riders once in a while to observe techniques though, it's a great way to learn.

Comfort is not really something anyone can tell you much about, IMO. Some people will say the Gix 6 is the most comfy bike they've ever been on, others will say it is about as comfortable as a running kick in the family jewels. It all depends on your body type and size, personal preferences, etc. For a 30 minute ride I would think you would be fine. The more you ride the more you'll realize that a 30 minute ride barely constitutes a warm-up. :D

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I don't like to ride alone. Sometimes when I have a bad day, I prefer it. Most of the time I like to ride with others, and I always bring up the rear. There's a few guys that I trust their riding enough to let them stay behind me though. One guy I used to ride with would always smash his brakes and cut me off and a couple times, almost rear ended me.

Just know that after taking the MSF course, you're a step ahead of a lot of the newer riders out there, like me.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I prefer to ride alone or with small groups of folks that all ride well. Big groups, even if all are good riders, are a pain in the ass.

Key to comfort on a sportbike is to keep you elbows loose. If you can easily flex your elbows, you are not holding your weight up with your hands but are using your abs and back muscles instead. It may take a few thousand miles for you ab and back muscles to get used to the position but your hands and wrists will never "get used" to holding you up. They'll just go numb in some spots and ache in the others. I never get a sore back on a sport bike. I ride 1.5 hours each way to work every day on my 9R. No comfort problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts