Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found what I would think to be a good first bike. I found a 1994 600R with 2300 miles on it. I am going to look at it again later this week. I just want some tips on what to look for when I go back and give it a test ride, and a good look over. Can anyone give me any tips? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
873 Posts
First off what is the asking price. With only 2300 miles id say thats a great find.

The 600R is one of the best starter bikes ever produced. Lots of sportiness to keep you happy and not a bike you will quickly outgrow. It will talk to you and warn you of impending limitations long before you get into trouble. Its lightweight (for being a 1988 design), fast enough (145mph) for any beginner and you wont feel inadequate like many 250R or 500R owners do (many, not all).

So id say check the tires for wear and dry rot, check the fork seals (look for oil on the fork surface), check the smoothness of idle and if it has ever been laid down.

If the bike has been beat on you may want to be wary of the gearbox, but this is really dependant on how abusive the rider was.

Good Luck!

Hey!

1 0 0 0 POSTS!!!!!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, the asking price is $3300, and it hasn't been down. No damage anyways. It also looked like a brand new rear tire. I'll check the fork seals, and how do I find out about the gear box, just ask? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
$3300 sounds high, even for a mint condition one. I doubt it retailed for much more new! Check kbb.com and traderonline for ballpark figures.
There are 2 possibilities to explain mileage that low-
1. speedo cable was removed for an unknown length of time
2. the bike sat ALOT.
#1 is bad for obvious reasons, #2 is bad because unless the carbs were drained before storage they will be gummed up badly. Take a flashlight with you and check the bottom inside of the tank for rust. If you see any, walk away. If not, just budget for a complete carb disassembly and cleaning.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Welcome --

Great choice in bikes.

Things to check--

- The Clutch (make sure it is working and not jerky or too worn out/loose)
- The Brakes (make sure they work and are not worn out)
- Check the underbody for wear, oil, non-normal stuff
- Make sure you ride it and make sure it runs smooth, no choppines when shifting, etc..

It may seem like normal stuff,.. but the more you check, the better off you are..

Enjoy the bike if you end up getting it

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the rust on the bottom of the tank mean that it wasn't drained before it sat? I think kbb was right at 3000. I will have to do a little finagling.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Yep, price is a little high. One thing to watch out for on that particular bike is too-soft intake valves. How can you tell? With only 2300 miles, you really can't, but if the idle is uneven, or if the motor vibrates excessively, pass.
If the bike runs smoothly, and the gears shift cleanly, go for it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gave it a good look

The other day I went back and gave that bike a good look© Everything on my list checked out© It sounded good and ran through all of the gears without any problems© All mechanical systems look really good© I did notice a little plastic damage, so I am going to have to get that price down for sure©

Thanks for all the help©

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought it

Now that I own this 1994 Kawasaki Ninja, how often should I change the oil, what oil should I use, and how often should I adjust the valves? Also is there any other major maintenance things I need to worry about? Thanks for all of the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts