Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This forum doesn't seem to be as popular as esportbike or as big as labusas used to be. still, I imagine there are people here who are not on either of those fora.

Any zx12 riders here besides easyrider?

hey easy, zx-12r.org is simply fantastic, but it needs some presentation improvement. I hope I am not out of line.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Hey, Haru, how are you? I hope you're feeling better. There are a few 12 riders here, but not many. I meant to get the site where everyone went to after the Apocalypse, but I missed it. Do you know what it is?
P.S. Picked my stolen 12 up from New Orleans, now I have 2 red 00's. Lovin it!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi double. I much better thanks. On the mend and recovering quicker than I expected but slower than I hoped. I am no where near being able to ride again. I can barely drive for 10 minutes before I get exhausted.

Glad to hear you got your bike back. New Orleans, huh? no serious damage to it? Did you buy second 12 with your own money, or did the insurance cough up? I guess it was the first, otherwise I imagine the recovered bike would belong to the insurance company to do with as they see fit.

the apocalypsized 12 forum site is back up, btw. they moved to a new server with fresh software and al that. but the URL is different so you have to go back to the root and click you way into the 12 forum.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Yeah, Haru, I paid for the second one myself. Wasn't a lot of damage to the stolen one - it's missing a front turnsignal, and the mounts for the rear cowl are cracked, but that's all. What was bad was the police telling me that they had a hold on the bike, and I couldn't get it until they released it, and the towing company charging me 12 dollars a day for storage. I had to pay 386 dollars to get my own bike back!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just made the 600 mile mark on my new '00 ZX12.

This bike is the biggest kick in the pants since I started skydiving!!

Im loving it, am 100% happy with it (so far), and cant wait to get really comfortable with it (Ive been off sportbikes for a couple of years) so I can air it out a little. I DID get my front wheel off the ground coming into second gear the other day,,whata hoot!

·
Registered
1 Posts
just hit 6000 mile mark after week end ride through mines rd to sanjose & back to modesto. 325 miles
on sat. did first clutch last week no other prob. lots of 1\4 mile passes 9.71 147 best so far. o 4 back tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys, lurked around here every once in a while, but never stopped in before. Riding season is just starting here in the cold and frosty inland Northwest US. Hope to be getting a bunch of miles on the 12 soon and get the breakin out of the way and let the fun start! Ozzy.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Nothing wrong with the zx11, sold mine after I bought my 12 (wish I hadn't, it just had extremely high mileage) Few bikes respond better to suspension upgrades than the 11.

·
Registered
36 Posts
zx-11 suspension

No kidding! I just got done replacing the front fork seals- world of difference. What kind of suspension upgrades are you talking about?

·
Registered
987 Posts
How's your money, Steve? The first thing to do is get a set of Progressive Suspension front springs. Expect to pay under 100 bucks. Next, get the Race Tech cartridge emulator kit, and install in your forks. Trust me, if you can change your own fork seals then you can install the emulators. Start with about 1/2 turn of compression and 15 wt oil. I think the emulators are going for $150+ now, but they are well worth the money.
Now that the front is cool, you might want to replace the rear damper with a Fox, Ohlins, PS, or Penske unit.
Here's where the money goes, as these range in price from about $550 - $1000 dollars. I went with the Fox Twin Clicker, put a bunch of miles on it with no problems.
Get a Corbin seat, and you will be amazed at the difference in chassis performance. The ride will be much plusher than before, you won't even feel bumps that used to send the front wheel chattering, but at the same time the bike will be much more stable through corners, and will pitch around much less on brake/throttle transitions.
Hope this helps...Have fun, Steve!

·
Registered
36 Posts
$u$pen$ion! I'll have to draw on my pen$ion!

Money is tight. I'm gonna note all the changes/upgrades in my wish book, though. I got 20 wt. in there now- the oil definately needed to be changed. I thought about replacing the springs while I was in there- but the tools alone cost over $130! (For something I can probably only use once.) But, I just don't feel comfortable letting anyone else do any of my work! (-short of engine boring and major overhauls.) ever since I read that "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maint." Boy- way off the topic! I'm still dialing in the settings on the rebuild- but I'm starting to see some changes from the "bone stock" she's in now on the horizon.
"The ride will be much plusher than before"...
I always thought she was too plush for a true sportbike- all my buddies rides seem stiff and heavily articulated. Mine seems to flow, kinda gracefully. But as soon as I sell the truck I'll probably start sinking some serious cash! THANKS! ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
hu-huh- you said "tool"

Remember: I was replacing fork seals. Not just the springs (it looks like I'll do that before the season is over) I had to buy a "hex wrench". It's this long "T" handled tool with a hex cleat on the bottom to fit into the inner fork upper to keep it from spinning so I could undo the bolt hidden at the bottom to the fork. Plus a fork weight tool. Just a dense (like me for buying it) clamp that slightly misshapes the fork to allow you to jerk the inner from the outter (go ahead...) If I would have had a fully equiped shop I could have figured a work around- but I don't and I couldn't. Lick and learn. I mean "live and learn"!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just put 600 miles on godzilla. Can't wait to open her up. Its been a few years between bikes, Last Ride was a zx11 with a few suspension mods from stock, So I'm looking forward to see what this beast will do.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Over here

Haru, I am over here as well. I have been for a while, but not posting to much. I read so many boards now sometimes I forget them all. Just made it past the 800 mile mark finally. Going to put my RC Components wheels on later today.. See ya!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got my '00 ZX-12 3 weeks ago and I've put 1,500 miles on it. It's a great bike, but I do miss my ZX-11. I wish I could have kept it.

I guess it's similar to wanting to keep old girlfriends after you're married. You know, something to ride every once in a while, but with low maintenance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts