Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my name is Jacob and a new bike rider. I was just wanted to introduced my self and had a few questions. First my bike is a Ninja 250 and it scares me at times{first bike i ever rode}, i just have to get used to it. Turning i am practicing the most at and the least thing i like is wheni come around something how the wind blows. now i need to get a jacket, i want a good one but i dont have 400 to buy one lol. i have about 150 and wanted to get some input on some options. Should i just get a leather one, or this nylon/ mesh one? they both look good and where is a good place to buy? How about boots, i saw at the shop they have special riding boots that seem to be affordable are they a good investment. any tips or suggestions for a new rider i welcome all input.

thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
One of my favorite jackets that's more in your range is the TourMaster Pivot 2 (http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Pivot-2-Jacket-p-231_3.html). It's basically the little brother of the Transition 2, but has many of the same great features. It has waterproof zippers, full cold weather liner, document pocket, CE approved shoulder and elbow pads, a soft back pad, and is just a little shorter than the Transition 2, making it more comfortable on a street bike. My personal favorite feature is that all the front vents have a velcro design which makes them act more like scoops, so they never close on you while riding.

I'm pretty sure it only comes in black, so if you're looking for something with a little more color you may wanna look at the Transition 2 as well. It's only a few inches longer, and it actually comes with a little zippered pouch on the back to store your liner if it gets too warm.

But find any local bike shop and ask if they carry these. If so, go try both of them on, and sit on a ninja to see which one is more comfortable and to your liking. Either one should be under $200. If they try to charge you more, just find out which size you want, and order it direct.

Good luck, and have fun out there...

Mark

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
First, there are forum sponsors to check out for items of interest. Second, a common other recommendation is NewEnough.com, which also has great service.

The choice of jacket material kind of depends on your plans. Leather is more ideally suited if you plan to have it for quite a long time and possibly pair it with pants for going to a drag strip or doing some track schools. Leather isn't well suited, however, for rain so if you're thinking of riding through all kinds of weather I'd stick with the waterproof textiles or meshes.

Boots provide protection for your feet and ankles, so focus on those features of the boot. If you want to walk around in it a lot, avoid the race-focused boots because they're not fun for that purpose. You want leather, over-the-ankle. Choice of other features depends on your price range and, again, what you'll want to do with them. For instance, wearing them with leathers tucked in is different than wearing them with jeans over top.

And welcome to SBW, congrats on the bike choice (ideal for beginners), and get thee to a Motorcycle Safety Foundation class :cheers:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts