Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just saying whats up from houston. came here trying to find a forum with active users and looks like you guys are pretty active, and informative.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Welcome :cheers:

I've long since decided that activity isn't reflective of quality, IMO. There are lots of 14-18 yo's with lots of time and little maturity.

·
Registered
892 Posts
:cheers:

·
Registered
196 Posts
kanwisch said:
Welcome :cheers:

I've long since decided that activity isn't reflective of quality, IMO. There are lots of 14-18 yo's with lots of time and little maturity.
don't forget about the 60-80 year olds that post over-cautiously to everyone on here....and may always not be the best choice or decision for certain people....:huh:

Just something to keep in mind.
Welcome:)
~Mike:cheers:

·
Registered
892 Posts
WristTwister164 said:
don't forget about the 60-80 year olds that post over-cautiously to everyone on here....and may always not be the best choice or decision for certain people....:huh:

Just something to keep in mind.
Welcome:)
~Mike:cheers:
although he has been riding for what? 40+ years.....and hes still riding at 76...how many 76 year old sods do you see carving canyons?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Meat_Shield said:
although he has been riding for what? 40+ years.....and hes still riding at 76...how many 76 year old sods do you see carving canyons?
are you talking about Smitty here? I think he is one that gives good advice if you ask me. A lot of people here give awesome and accurate advice. some people say some far fetched stuff though about caution and safety a lot of the time though.

·
Registered
892 Posts
WristTwister164 said:
are you talking about Smitty here? I think he is one that gives good advice if you ask me. A lot of people here give awesome and accurate advice. some people say some far fetched stuff though about caution and safety a lot of the time though.
we seem to be bumping heads lately eh? sorry dude i thought you were referring to smitty as i think he is the only active poster in the 60-80 age range. i've been snaping at people lately...maybe i need to plant a tree or something? :dunno:

·
Registered
196 Posts
kanwisch said:
I dont think were bumping heads?!?!:)
:laughing:

I was actually just referring to the posted comment ^ This guy is bashing on young enthusiasts, when a lot of the times they give good accurate info. AND, i was saying some people on here ACT like 60-80 year olds with the insanely cautious advice that they give. Smitty is old....but i think his info and advice is great to take into account. But this Kanwisch guy is bashing youngins for giving bad advice? im saying lots of the times the older guys dont give very good advice from the extreme caution they have either. :eek:

But ok, lets plant some trees:D

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ok, just because you think the advice is over cautious, and you decided not to follow it, is no need to badmouth the advice of long term members who speak from a place of EXPERIENCE. Did it ever occur to you that it's the experience that has given them their extreme sense of caution. All your doing is making yourself look like some young punk with a hard head. What does it tell you when a guy at a dealership tells me to buy an sv650 as a first bike vs something like a 600rr even though it was going to be a smaller check. And all this stuff about young guys giving accurate information is kind of a ridiculous argument. It's all based on credentials my friend, and frankly the guys with all the years of riding experience have the better credentials in my mind.

Every time a new guy comes on here it's almost a given that good old wristtwister is going to tell them to get whatever bike they want because thats how he did it. And of course he ended up ok because all he does is ride around town in mostly straight lines...

Sorry to thread jack but I had to get that out.

Welcome to SBW Gumby! :thumbs2:

·
Registered
196 Posts
When did i badmouth senior members? I said some of there info is sometimes over cautions? get a clue.

And to be honest....us young riders are going through what "new riders" are getting into. We are experiencing first hand with the NEW bikes today. If i were to be riding a little 250 bike, then i wouldn't be experiencing how the new sport bikes today feel, handle, etc. and i wouldn't dare be telling new riders what bikes to get. But I'm just like them...along with the other young riders here...and they are experiencing it RIGHT NOW....TODAY! you old guys have experienced your first bikes what.....many years ago....which not to mention are nothing like the bikes today. Yea, u guys are more experienced with riding...whoopie dooh. Us young enthusiasts are experiencing the modern day sport bike as our first bike...and now exactly what its like...Our advice means a lot to new guys...They look at people who are DOING THE SAME THING THEY ARE...AND ARE DOING IT WELL! not always your over-cautious bull.

"And of course he ended up ok because all he does is ride around town in mostly straight lines..."????
wow you know me that well?
way to make an idiot of yourself.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
WristTwister164 said:
When did i badmouth senior members?...
your over-cautious bull...
When you said "...some people on here ACT like 60-80 year olds..."

On that topic, are you saying that, just because we value our lives, we're acting like 60-80 years olds? Don't you think that maybe it's because we might understand the value our lives a bit more than young people? With most of us having partners or kids, do you not think that maybe we realise we've got too much to live for and don't want to risk that by being under-cautious? Don't you think that, just maybe, we want young people to grow up to be old people and, therefore, try to pass on our experience to them in the hope that this may happen? Young people think they're bullet-proof. Older people have buried friends / family who weren't.

The over-cautious attitude you refer to is the very one that has kept us alive longer than you've been alive.

Now, since you seem to have respect for Smitty's advice, show me where he has ONCE suggested to a new rider that a 600cc bike is a good beginner's bike. Can't find one? Okay, show me the countless threads where he has thrown his hands up in despair because yet another young newb has posted a thread about getting one as a first bike.

·
Registered
196 Posts
your right. you guys are more cautious because you may have family, seen friends go down....etc. I realize that 100% and am aware of that. But NEW riders coming on here, and asking for advice...all of them know the advice you senior guys are going to give them. start slow....start small..... yada yada yada. But to be honest...All the NEW guys coming on here are YOUNG and nothing like you old guys. You guys give them info (which is incredibly cautions) because that is what you guys have lived through and you have family's and want to "live long" as you so say. But these NEW guys are nothing like you. Your going to tell them information that is not true because they are young...and don't have families....and want to live a little and have a nice...fast sport bike.

kanwisch said:
^^^So when this guys comes on here saying this^^^^^

Were young riders that felt just like the new guys feel about riding and there first bike. They dont have a family yet....i dont have a family yet....they are adventurous and want to be bold....and so do i....i think we have to MOST in common with each other.... so our information is VERY, VERY valuable. This guy is saying our info is of poor quality? give me a break.

new riders including me are JUST like these new guys that want to get into riding.....i FEEL and already did what they are trying to get into...and HAVE THE MOST IN COMMON WITH THE NEW GUYS.....a 600cc worked for me...so im going to offer that knowledgeable advice to them...

Mabye when a 70 year old wants to get into riding....the older guys on here will say...ya get a 250 because you have a family and you need to be incredibly safe...YES, I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THAT...i would agree....

So when he says our info is of poor quality....kiss my :moon: :burnout:

im not trying to get anyone mad....thats just how i see it....and im sure others do to.. I still take all information and knowledge from the old wise ones too:hello:

:cheers:

·
Registered
196 Posts
cookeetree said:
There really is no resolution to this argument, but I'm curious: What untruths have been told?
it may not be untrue......but it MAY NOT BE IN THEIR BEST OF INTEREST because a lot of them are so different then the older guys on here.

and too let you all know...i cherish my life very, very much...me buying a 600cc sport bike doesn't change that at all?!?!?!!

I suppose the majority on this forum is older though....hence the reason i get flamed so much...but my point is made....and i think younger members will appreciate advice from all:)

·
Registered
227 Posts
WristTwister164 said:
which not to mention are nothing like the bikes today.

Us young enthusiasts are experiencing the modern day sport bike as our first bike...and now exactly what its like...Our advice means a lot to new guys...They look at people who are DOING THE SAME THING THEY ARE...AND ARE DOING IT WELL!

"And of course he ended up ok because all he does is ride around town in mostly straight lines..."????
wow you know me that well?
way to make an idiot of yourself.
Wow you basically just summarized the reason kids shouldn't be buying the latest crop of supersports. They are geared towards the experienced rider...not to the kid who has some cash burning a hole in his pocket. And you're absolutely right, with most new riders it's completely monkey see monkey do. And sadly our insurance rates completely reflect that line of thinking. So you're statement about them doing it well...not so true. Most kids on bikes are just that, kids. I honestly fear the squids on the road more then I do the cagers at this point.

And you my statement about the type of riding you do was based solely on the posts you've made. Some of which explained how the nearest twisty roads were a number of hours away and you've yet to visit them (at the time of posting of course).

And this whole argument about the information given not being relevant to new riders is a joke. A new rider is just that a new rider. If you're trying to argue that the new riders of today are more skilled then the riders of yesteryear, I would love to see some facts that point to that. Because all I've seen are guys on brand new r6's rolling out of the dealer only to lock up their brakes and rear end some poor motorist who never saw it coming. I guess that rider payed the price of being bold/stupid. Man I can't wait for a tiered licensing system... :2cents:

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just think everyone has some advice to offer others...weather it be good advice or bad. But i would never say someones advice is of poor quality. I take everyones advice into account....cherish, and use it to better myself and decisions. maybe I'm the only one who takes advice this way...so when you say young people give "poor quality" advice...i think not.:hello:

·
Registered
227 Posts
WristTwister164 said:
I just think everyone has some advice to offer others...weather it be good advice or bad. But i would never say someones advice is of poor quality. I take everyones advice into account....cherish, and use it to better myself and decisions. maybe I'm the only one who takes advice this way...so when you say young people give "poor quality" advice...i think not.:hello:
Your thinking is admirable, really it is.

But the way I see it is "poor quality" advice is just another name for bad advice. You're always going to see it but you have to learn to filter it. Bad advice is just that, bad advice. It's advice that is pointed out for a reason, reason being the huge influx of new riders into the sport. Everyone wants to see new and young riders become old and experienced riders. Nobody wants to see new riders become dead riders. And look dude, I'm not one of the older riders on this board at all, but after visiting a number of sport bike related boards out there, I really see the need to keep this one as informative and educational as it has been.

But hey, you're right about everyone having a right to share their ideas how they see fit. :thumb:

·
Registered
165 Posts
gumby1220 said:
just saying whats up from houston. came here trying to find a forum with active users and looks like you guys are pretty active, and informative.
Just thought I would point out that this is the post that started this thread.

:topic:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts