Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!!! just wanted to say I am glad I found this site....'cause i have plenty of questions, but I'll start small for now:)
i have an '03 ninja zx6r with about 8000 miles. Recently I've noticed a ticking in the front end...you can hear it on startup, but once she gets good and warm it's gone. Ive heard everything from "get your valves adjusted" to dont worry about it...obviously Im better safe than sorry, but I have no idea what it could be.
a little info...the bike runs great, no loss of power to speak of and gas mileage is still real good, so i didn't think it was valves...any ideas?
im not so mechanically inclined so small words and short sentences would be great...J/k
thanks for any help!!
--caldy

·
Registered
645 Posts
well I can't help ya with your problem... just wanted to say Welcome to SBW:cheers:... though have you had a shop look at it?... then again... if it's nothing... it'd be a waste of money...

·
Registered
525 Posts
It might be the cam chain has stretched and even though there should be some type of tensioning device, a bike can't sound "brand new" forever. I was told this my a mechanic once, and he said it's not a problem and just live with it, or he could split the cases for big $$$ to adjust the cam chain.

welcome aboard :D

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Yes, the cam chain and tensioner could be the issue. Don't know about this bike specifically, but on mine a block split is NOT necessary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts