Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Hello! Well, I dediced to start my SbWorld career with a bang. Anyway, I now ride an R6, and am lookin to get a new bike, specifically a larger bike, like a v-twin:D The only two twins that catch my eye, are obviously these two.

Does anyone have any exp. with either bike, I.E. going from a 600 to a twin, or any opinion's as to which one will be a better ride? (I know that last question will get me some heat:p )

As to what kind of riding I do, I ride to work and back during the week, about 5-6 mile ride, and on the weekend, I hit the good ol' twisties, about 15 mins from my place:cool: How much of a difference between twins and 4 bangers are there? Any and all opinions/advice/experiences, are extremely welcome! thanks

·
Registered
714 Posts
Mille Mille Mille

To quote BIKE magazine,"If you cherish a well-crafted motorcycle you couldn't ask for more. And if you want to learn how to ride faster on the track it's probably the only one that will give you a lot more than you're capable of using". And that was about the standard Mille RSV, so the RSV-R would be even better. My good mate Norm has recently changed his ZXR750 for a Mille & really loves it. Full of character he reckons. Get a test ride if you can & you'll find out if the power of a big twin gets the juices flowing :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mille or RC51

I own a 2000 RC51 that is highly modified. The stock RC51 is very sluggish handling but a bargain price. The basic Mille is almost $14K. If you buy a RC51, have GMD set it up with a Penske shock and shock linkage, fork kit, slip on pipes, PC11 (excellent maps available, see RC51.net) you will have a bike that has significantly more power than the Mille, better suspension & handling. I have $7K invested in mine including full race system, marchesini wheels, so on with my target being a Mille R. I would say that my modified bike is superior to a Mille R. The Mille R would be my next choice but after owning a Ducati 916 I do not know if I want the hassle of an Italian Bike (high cost to maintain, lots of quality quirks) and hard to find dealers, especially ones that will not charge an arm & a leg for service every 5000 miles ($375-$600 for the Duc) not to mention wait in line to get it done or get it back. My advice if it is your only bike, pick the Honda. If you are looking for exotic (only 4000 RC51s are out there by the way) the Mille R is the way to go but get the R over the basic one or you way regret it especially if you arelooking for the "cool" factor.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I agree with Steve, if you can get the Mille R then do so otherwise get the RC and just invest a little money in it. The base Mille is a nice bike but doesn't have the power of the RC even with the factory restriction removed but it does have a ton of torque. However, I don't think you would be disappointed with either Mille model or the RC. The Mille is more comfortable.

I disagree with Bike Magazine saying that the base Mille is the only one that will give you more than you're capable of using. Unless you are a pro or very good expert then you will not be capable of everything that either bike has to offer. The aftermarket is more favorable for the RC. Remember, the foreign magazines have their noses so far up Italy's ass it isn't even funny. Kind of like the US magazines and the Jap bikes manufacturers.

I came off of a VFR750 and we also had a YZF600. All I can say is once you've had a Twin you will never go back. :D

If you purchase an RC and invest the difference in cost(RC vs Mille) then you could end up with an RC capable of spanking almost everything on the road and definitely all of the other twins. The open class bikes would surely be fun to torment. :D

If I could afford a Mille R then that is the bike I would own. I just couldn't afford one. :)

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
For what it's worth, maintenance on an Aprilia is no different than, nor should it cost any more than a jap bike. Thus far they have proven to be every bit as reliable.

Additionally, as I found out this weekend, they also crash very well. :D

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
tigerblade said:
The RC51's handing is.... uh... what's that word, Paul?
The RC51 has a disjointed chassis and handles like shit. Don't be lured into buying one, you'll only regret it. There are only 4 RC51's in the WORLD that are worth a damn, Edward's and Okada's. Even the RC51's in the AMA are junk.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
jtensuan said:

And as a result, look very good propped up against the tire wall in the run-off area. Hey, at least there's one way to keep it from passing me... :rolleyes::D
Hey smartguy, it was on the sidestand! :rolleyes: Just because you didn't crash like the rest of us doesn't mean that you get to cast dispersions. :mad:

Wait a minute.....in retrospect I guess it does mean that. :( :D

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
MILLE!

Well I've never ridden either bike so take this for whatever...

I Drool on the Mille R. I almost got myself in divorce kinda trouble by nearly getting one. I asked all the questions I could think of and even talked to a guy who happened to be bringing his Mille R in for its first service whom had previously had a RC-51. He said the Mille R is so vasty superior to the RC its night and day! (Of course he just dumped a truck load on a new Mille so take that for what its worth)

I spoke to the service dept. who promised me that the services are nothing like on Ducatis and would cost the same as an RC-51 and at the same intervals.

I'm a Total Honda guy as you can tell, but I gotta say this; Why would you buy an RC and dump a ton of cash into it to get it to the Mille level?

Cons of RC over Mille:

1. the Mille is SO much better looking!
2. The resale of the RC with mods is going to be nothing compared to the resale value of a stock Mille so your extra investment is nearly voided.
3. Look at the OZ Racing wheels on the Mille R!! DAAAMN! Marchesin has nothin on those.
4. you dont have to spend any money on a Mille R to make it better, it even comes with carbon fiber all over the place and stainless lines already -superior suspension components and look at that swing arm!
5. If you destroy a Mille R, the insurance is going to pay you the value of a Mille R ~~ If you destroy a RC-51 with $7000 in extras, the insurance company is going to pay you the value of a Rc-51 and laugh at you for asking for another 7K in extra parts

The Mille R is, so far, the ONLY bike that could make me leave Honda.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Re: MILLE!

HondaNut! said:
Well I've never ridden either bike so take this for whatever...

I'm a Total Honda guy as you can tell, but I gotta say this; Why would you buy an RC and dump a ton of cash into it to get it to the Mille level?

Who said anything about putting money into an RC to make it as good as the Mille. I said if you put as much money into an RC as you would a Mille R it would be superior to the Mille not as good as. ;)

As far as holding value, the RC is about as good as it gets in the rataining value department for production sportbikes. Major mods are money out the window on any bike though. :)

IMO, if money is not the issue then this question is a no brainer, MILLE R. It looks awesome, doesn't have as much rwhp but damn the thing has some torque. :cool:

BTW, I haven't heard anything negative about the Aprilia maintenance either. I don't see any reason it would cost more than the Honda although you might get into more of a wait on parts. :cool:

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
All good points John...

I wish someone would let me ride their RC-51 damnit!
If the pucker factor is as good or better than my ol' 900RR and it handles well, I would probably choose it over the 929 just for the twin motor. But Im not dumping a ton of cash into it, and I keep hearing the RC isnt so great stock :( :confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey, thanks guys for all of the input. This is truly a tough choice, I don't know if I want to spend 17k for the Mille R, but I like the idea of gettin the 51' and puttin the money into that, to make that bike even better. Maybe it's time to ask the boss for a raise :p

I think that I'll probaly try and get a demo ride, for both of these bikes, and see which one fits more to my liking. If not, I know I can at least hopefully get a ride, from a friends, friend 51'. But the Aprilia will be a little harder...:(

I was really worried about the maintenance costs for the Aprilia, but that seems to be out of the window. Man, tough choice.....:p

Keep em' coming

P

·
0 Posts
Stake said:

Hey smartguy, it was on the sidestand! :rolleyes: Just because you didn't crash like the rest of us doesn't mean that you get to cast dispersions. :mad:

Wait a minute.....in retrospect I guess it does mean that. :( :D
Oooo y'all, look'a Stake, thinkin' he all dat, usin' big words and shit.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
HondaNut! said:
All good points John...

If the pucker factor is as good or better than my ol' 900RR and it handles well, I would probably choose it over the 929 just for the twin motor. But Im not dumping a ton of cash into it, and I keep hearing the RC isnt so great stock :( :confused:
Come out for the Smackdown and you can ride my slightly modified RC. :)

P

·
0 Posts
HondaNut! said:
Kyle, I rode RCJohn's RC51 for a while up in Arkansas. Go with the 929.

·
Registered
244 Posts
748 abuser said:

...There are only 4 RC51's in the WORLD that are worth a damn, Edward's and Okada's. Even the RC51's in the AMA are junk.
Okay, only I count 2 (Edwards' and Okada's).
Proof Positive, Folks... DON'T DO DRUGS!!!:D

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
HondaNut! said:

...and I keep hearing the RC isnt so great stock :( :confused:
Don't believe everything you hear or read. Not even 90% of the streetriders can ride to its stock limit and 99% of them won't admit it. :eek:

It's those same people that think they can tell the difference in accelleration when they go from a steel sprocket to an Aluminum one because of less unsprung weight. I'm not talking about a different size sprocket either. And the ones who spend over $300 for "race compound" tires for the street when they don't even know how to ride the street tires to the tires' limits. They don't want to admit that just because a tire slides doesn't mean that the tire is at fault. The inability to control the throttle never crosses their novice minds. :(

1 - 20 of 83 Posts