Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone...

This is my first post with my first annoying noob question.

I have virtually no experience on bikes of any kind...I've rode a dirtbike for about an hour and am now addicted and really want a sport bike..I know I know..you have all heard that before..

I'm very responsible and have a healthy respect for the power and danger that is associated with sport bikes but feel that next year I will be ready to purchase one...depending on what kind of response I get here.

I plan to buy a CBR 600RR as my first bike..becasue there is no way for me to financially purchase a starter bike..but I plan on taking every safety course and just putt around for the whole summer before I really get out there and ride for real...

The main problem is that I am really small..I'm 5'8" and about 100 pounds soaking wet...so am I too small for a sport bike?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
You can ussually sell a starter bike for what you bought it for. My old roommate picked up his starter for $1200, wrecked it, and sold it for $1400. So I really recommend going that route.

But in case you are wondering, no you are not too small for a bike. I've known a few riders at 5'2".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But is there anything that I could use that would get me used to the feeling of a sportbike? I mean just because you can skateboard doesnt mean you can go out and surf the first day you try it...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those all seem to be around the same power as the cbr 600...is there really much of a difference? Is a starter bike just so you can lay it down and not really worry about losing a bunch of money? Sorry, but I really am a total noob

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
five5six said:
Those all seem to be around the same power as the cbr 600...is there really much of a difference? Is a starter bike just so you can lay it down and not really worry about losing a bunch of money? Sorry, but I really am a total noob
Thats a big part of it. The second is that in all the bikes I've described the lost power is traded for stability. Engines have a stronger midrange so you dont have to shift as much, heavier flywheels so they are harder to stall (And you would be amazed how easy it is to stall a 600. Cars shake before they stall, bikes die like someone hit the kill switch) the steering is more stable, less likely to headshake, compression braking is reduced so the rear tire doesnt lock up on downshifts etc...

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
At "100 lbs soaking wet" a 250cc will rocket you along. I weigh 185 and my 1999 ZZR-250 was more than quick enough for me.

You don't need a 600 and it sounds like it will only lead to heartache if you try to start on one.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I started on a 600, and i will not say not to start on a 600, a 250 will kill you just as quick as a 600. But i will say you better respect the bike when you get one, because they will bite your ass as soon as you give them half the chance.

At 5'6 you will have to put lowering links on them to touch the ground, once you become a better rider you can raise them back up to get all your handling back. i have a friend that is about 5'6 and he rides a 636 stock height, but he has been riding for several years, he can bairly tip toe the ground. wait and check out the 06 gixxer 600, i think the seat height is dropping about an inch (just like they did the 1000) so it might be a little easier.

A 250 ninja would fit you good, and would be PLENTY fast for a good year or so of riding, and they hold their resale value good, plus they are cheap, and expect to drop your first bike a few times, (don't wanna drop a $9000 bike, that cost about $1000 to fix every time it hits the ground, or more) and don't feel like you will look stupid if you ride a 250 ninja, alot of guys, and girls in our group ride them, hell i even get on one from time to time.

But what ever you chose, just be carefull out there, cause people are crazy these days, in cars and on bikes.

Hope that helps ya some, good luck with your bike purchase, oh yea take the MSF class, it is well worth it.

Later

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im definately gonna take the msf class...and every one I can find in my area..Would a ninja 500 be a good choice? I'm really looking for something that will keep me entertained for a few years until i can step way up in power.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there anything out there that has alot of aftermarket following that I could buy and upgrade as my skill level goes up? I'm looking for a really light bike that has great handling...i know I'm asking for alot..

·
Registered
609 Posts
five5six said:
Im definately gonna take the msf class...and every one I can find in my area..Would a ninja 500 be a good choice? I'm really looking for something that will keep me entertained for a few years until i can step way up in power.
A Ninja 500 is a great choice. They're "starter bikes" only because how ridiculously fast the new 600s are in comparison. But that bike will still go 0-60 quicker than pretty much every car on the road, and will easily cruise at over 100mph. Not to mention they're very fun to ride and are great handling bikes. A good rider on even a 250 could smoke a bad rider on a 600 in the curves.

I'm not too sure about the aftermarket stuff for the bike. However, like Vash said, if you buy one used you can easily sell it...and get close to what you paid, or close to. I bought and sold a 250 in a year and made a couple hundred bucks. Plus there's just a huge market for used Ninja 250's and 500's. So you can ride it for a season or two, sell it, then step up to a higher performance bike.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Actually a choice of two bikes in the 500cc vertical twin being both Suzy & Kawasaki offer them.

Something Vash failed to mention is that these are with a regular riding position & not an extreme lean forward with footrests set to the rear & close to your butt.

Said regular, sometimes called "standard", riding position has been on the offering since m/cs first came into life like early 1900s & are still offered even up to 750 & 1000cc bikes besides smaller irons.

Also the regular riding position the handlebars are a solid one piece with some decent width mounted on top of the top yoke of the bike while sportbikes are with clip-ons that are stubby short bits below the top yoke on the forks, forcing you to lean forward AND when it comes to possibly dropping the bike the higher position, along with the width is the LEGERAGE so important to someone starting out in the world of m/cing.

Either of the above two bike are IDEAL beginners bikes & I do not think you will be complaining when you find that the take-off speed will be faster then most cages & when you are on a m/c then believe me 65mph is more like 150mph in a cage. So just remember either bike can scoot you up to 100mph.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I am underestimating the sweet assness of these bikes...I got to ride a 250 today and it scared the shit out of me..I was only on the back..but still...I cant wait!

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
I had a similar "now I get it" experience the first time I rode my 250. Bikes accellerate quicker than any non-biker can imagine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts