Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I would like to get a smaller front sprocket for my bike ('98 ZX6E) - (seeing as I don't get to do 140 very often)
I would like to improve the low-end acceleration. Is there one brand better than another? Can someone recommend one? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
525 Posts
most sprockets are made by respectable companies..afm, renthal, vortex, you name it. you might have to get a whole new 520 setup, unless you already have it. I think it is a very sensible move, since top speed isnt really a factor on the street.

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
Desmo,

Go up three teeth on the back sprocket instead of down one in the front (They will eaqual out the same).

Why?

#1 A smaller sprocket up front is harder on your chain as it now has to bend tighter to get around the smaller sprocket.

#2 On some bikes a smaller front sprocket will cause the chain to rub on the top of the swingarm.

One thing though, if you decide to get a bigger back sprocket you will need to make sure your chain currently has enough slack for the longer length.

I know this might not be in the budget for everyone. But When my chain bites the dust I also change both sprockets at the same time.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sportbikeworld said:

I know this might not be in the budget for everyone. But When my chain bites the dust I also change both sprockets at the same time.

I agree. When I change the chain I will also change both front and rear sprokets. Money spent wisely know saves on money saved unwisely. It is a small price to amke sure your bike is in tip to shape

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your help guys. I wanted to get a few opinions now so I could shop around this winter. I've got time seeing as there is 3" of snow on the ground.

·
Registered
192 Posts
desmo said:
I've got time seeing as there is 3" of snow on the ground.
Bummer. We haven't gotten any snow yet (though they predict "snow showers" over the next few days). Still, I rode to work this morning, even if the temperature was around 37 degrees! :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
37 degrees? wow, you're a better man than I am. My commute is 45min one way, so once the temp dips below 45, I take the car.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If my commute was that long, I would take the car as well. As a matter of fact, last year I had to commute into Manhattan, about 1 hour or so away, so I took the car in winter, but the bike a few times with the warm weather. Manhattan isn't friendly to bikes in the best of conditions; bad weather aggravates things by a factor of 10, in my opinion.

Now I have only a few miles to travel in the morning, though I often have to go 10 or so miles in the evening to another job I have. Still, as long as it isn't snowing (or threatening to snow like today) and there is no ice out, the bike can be used. Not every day, but once in a while to keep my spirits up! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts