Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if the new frames interface is going to work out.

I did make an interface a while ago for a local Sportbike Group and I might use it here on SBW. It does not use frames.

You can view it at http://www.sportbikeworld.com/team-velocity

What does everyone think? Please voice your opinion....

------------------
Robert Basil
It ain't easy being green - Kermit the frog
But it sure is fun! - Robert Basil

S

·
0 Posts
Hey Robert,

Being a web programmer, I must give input.

At 800X600 it is ok.(a little boring though, black and white I mean :))

At 640X480 it is a little large... I usually base everything on 640X480, because the average user uses this ....

All in all I like the frames idea, But I think the site could be more eye catching :D

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

Adam

·
Registered
503 Posts
NO FRAMES NO FRAMES NO FRAMES NO FRAMES NO FRAMES NO FRAMES NO FRAMES NO FRAMES NO FRAMES NO FRAMES NO FRAMES NO FRAMES NO FRAMES NO FRAMES NO FRAMES NO FRAMES NO FRAMES NO FRAMES NO FRAMES NO FRAMES NO FRAMES NO FRAMES NO FRAMES NO FRAMES NO FRAMES NO FRAMES NO FRAMES NO FRAMES NO FRAMES NO FRAMES NO FRAMES NO FRAMES

------------------

S

·
0 Posts
WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

Adam

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Squidwannabe:
At 640X480 it is a little large... I usually base everything on 640X480, because the average user uses this .... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Acually on the 4 sites I run only about 6% of the people use 640X480 with most (78%) using 800X600.

But I do try my best to make it usuable in 640X480. :)

Thanks for your input! Anyone else?

------------------
Robert Basil

·
Registered
425 Posts
I agree that more eye candy would be nice(colours).I realize that you might want to keep it simple but battleship grey just doesn`t cut it.This is a great start,Robert.

------------------

·
Squid
813 Posts
I think it's set up fine. Although the black and white is, well black and white but, it doesn't bother me because I'm not here to be entertained by colorful graphics, I'm here because I share a common interest with everyone else in this forum.
BTW the only problem that I have noticed is I have to click the link to be forwarded back after posting a message. It won't atomatically send me back to the topic.

------------------
John
http://photos.yahoo.com/jk6672

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Why is everyone so against frames?...personally I think it makes navigating the whole site easier, and people will be less likely to lose sight of the fact that there is more here than the forums. (hopefully there will be more than what we have now..there will...)

I'm all for the frames..and as far as the color goes I agree with all...I'm here for the information, not the colors, but a little color is nice too :D

will

------------------
Will Darton
Administrator
http://azsportbike.net
99ZX-6e

·
Registered
741 Posts
I think it's great frames are good by me... Definitely add some color though!! Buit it's COOL!! :D Yes the link did not redirect me either after posting!

------------------
Joe
1999 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, 4,100 miles, Vance and Hines Titanium slip on, synthetics, more to come soon!!!

1988 Mustang GT
www.joe4speed.com

[This message has been edited by JL1314 (edited September 18, 2000).]

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After posting the redirect link might take a few as it has two banners on it. Try giving it a few more seconds to see if it forwards you.

------------------
Robert Basil

·
Registered
28 Posts
Your site doesn't need frames. They're a good tool for certain types of nav (photo galleries, product snapshots, etc.) but this site doesn't have the type of content to justify them. It makes navgation a bitch -- I use the BACK button all the time when surfing but frames prohibit that. And bookmarking pages is out unless you burst out of the frame, which then leaves you with no navigation. You could have the same style nav but as a graphic. The browsers would cache the image and map anyway, so load time wouldn't be much of a worry.

And please can you get rid of the flash on your main page? The main page now is 105+k.

You can check your pages at: http://websitegarage.com

I posted a note on the suggestions board before I saw this string. Sorry for the redundancy.

cheers!

------------------
Austin Bikers on the Web

S

·
0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Your site doesn't need frames. They're a good tool for certain types of nav (photo galleries, product snapshots, etc.) but this site doesn't have the type of content to justify them. It makes navgation a bitch -- I use the BACK button all the time when surfing but frames prohibit that. And bookmarking pages is out unless you burst out of the frame, which then leaves you with no navigation. You could have the same style nav but as a graphic. The browsers would cache the image and map anyway, so load time wouldn't be much of a worry.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't use the back button ... Rather use your mouse's right button... This will bring up a menu select back?

------------------

Adam

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, it will. But that means a concerted effort on my part to do it. It's always better to let users do what they always do.

You'd be surpised how many people consistently use the BACK button as a nav tool and you'd maybe be equally surprised by the number of people who don't know you can use the RIGHT+CLICK method for anything, let alone nav.

It goes back to the tired but true cliche:
K.I.S.S.

------------------
Austin Bikers on the Web

·
Registered
17 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sportbikeworld:
I am not sure if the new frames interface is going to work out.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i do NOT like the frames. basically, the big frame is just taking up a bunch of space and not doing anything for me. waste of realestate. and making it harder to look at what i want to concentrate on. i do NOT like it. also, please get rid of the splashscreen. why do we need that? everytime i try to get back in the site, i have to sit there and wait for it until i can hit skip, or entertain everyone around me with the soundtrack. please, get rid of it. it is a waste of time and offers nothing in return.
overall, i guess if you got rid of the splash and the frames, i'd like the new design okay.

------------------
99 sv650 (red)

Austin Sportbikes
Har har
DoD #X

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
robert, i hope you don't mind me posting this and if there's objection, delete it.

but if you wanna go to the forums and don't want frames bookmark this address:
http://www.sportbikeworld.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

it'll take you there, no frames.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tony,

Nope, I don't mind. I am working on something for the site to address the users concerns and hope to have it done in a few hours.

:)

------------------
Robert Basil

1 - 17 of 17 Posts