Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
That is the coolist thing I have ever seen. There is a god>:)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well, I can say it looks nice; however, it seems they based it from the FZ1. The front light are almost the same except they are round. I guess you cannot blame Buell from trying. That exhaust pipe sucks though. It would of been cool if they made the exhaust like the ducs have.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Looks like a Buell to me.... it's cool how it stores the engine oil in the swing arm and the fuel in the frame rails instead of the typical tank.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Man, I go on leave and when I get back the world has turned upside down. A new Buell, and a new power cruiser from Harley. And rumor has it there is another Buell on the way. Judging from the price of this one I expect an even more performance laden Buell coming in around 12-13000!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hey JD, hold on 'cause some wild s**t's coming out very soon. That Porsche tweeked VR motor's found it's way into a sportbike chassis with spectacular results. Funny how using plastic from other sportbikes can mask test mules :)

What's funny about all the slam's on Harley motors is that everyone likes to suggest that EVO's and TC88's are no different than Shovel's which is pure bull. A review of factory recalls for powerplant problems will show the big 4 with a healthy dose of manufaturing defects.

Now with the VR based motor showing respectable numbers (in a usable RPM range) I guess the nocks will be about PRICE, which sadly will be a fact of life for a few years.

I'm just thrilled to see HD FINALLY bringing out something that will compliment the Buell design format. It sure is getting interesting. (BTW did you note that the VR motor has Mahle pistons...same company that builds all of Porsche's racing pistons...them babies aint cheap) cool

·
Registered
380 Posts
True! I had a Harley for 5 years before my current bike. I rode the pis out of it and never had any trouble except for a cracked diaphram in the carb. An easy fix. The evo was a good motor, the twin cam was even better! I can't wait to see the new Buell with the VR motor! Guess I'll have to get a downpayment ready!

·
Registered
25 Posts
JDM1200 said:
True! I had a Harley for 5 years before my current bike. I rode the pis out of it and never had any trouble except for a cracked diaphram in the carb. An easy fix. The evo was a good motor, the twin cam was even better! I can't wait to see the new Buell with the VR motor! Guess I'll have to get a downpayment ready!
I don't think the Buell will use that V-rod motor. The reason is it is rather heavy. I heard a rumor of a turbo charged Firebolt along with a 1300 cc Firebolt. Perhaps Harley will make that V-rod powered Sportbike. Here is a picture of it:

http://www.geocities.com/mfell2112/11762.jpg

I heard a rumor this bike would be released to the public this July at the Harley 100th dealers convention. I don't know whether to believe this rumor though.

Regards
Mike

·
Registered
560 Posts
Gotta disagree with you there Mike. HD has spent a tremendous amount in the development of the VR motor and it will be utilized in virtually all platforms.

You are correct in that the Firebolt motor will find some other homes, but the turbo option is unlikely due to heat & smog regs.

I have heard a fairly accurate "rumor" that you will see a huge rollout of new product at the Dealer's 100th. Expect a very tasty ST rig under the Buell banner, sporting a VR powerplant that may very well set a new standard for the ST market segment.

I also understand that HD is striving to meet a production volume of 258,000 units for 2003, which is an astronomical volume increase. I am aware that triple shifts are running at some of their facilities, and Graveyards aren't just for line maintenance.

It will be an interesting July indeed!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Tahoe said:
Gotta disagree with you there Mike. HD has spent a tremendous amount in the development of the VR motor and it will be utilized in virtually all platforms.

It will be an interesting July indeed!
I agree with you however not only is the VR motor quite heavy it is rather large. I don't think you can get the short wheelbase of your typical Buell with that motor. Don't get me wrong I would love to see Buell use that motor I just don't think they will for the reasons I stated. Perhaps a more compact lighter version of this motor is in the works? Figure they will most likely use a variation of the Firebolt frame.

Regards

Mike

·
Registered
560 Posts
Right-O on the new frame. Buell recently announced that the tube frame models are dead in favor of the new chassis! Not sure if they'll use the same geometry though, as the XB9R is seriously short.

We shall see!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Tahoe said:
Right-O on the new frame. Buell recently announced that the tube frame models are dead in favor of the new chassis! Not sure if they'll use the same geometry though, as the XB9R is seriously short.

We shall see!
Very true. You think Buell is gonna give us some serious HP?

Mike

·
Registered
560 Posts
Realistically Mike, I don't think they're likely to enter into a horsepower competition with the Japanese. More likely HD will keep tweeking the engine tuning to give the bikes a really fat midrange, which tends to satisfy a broader spectrum of riders.

I think we're seeing a tad of this with the GSXR-1000 vs. the 954 & R-1, they may not have the stink that the Gixxer has, but the ridability satisfies a broader audience. Witness too the dramatic increase in naked sporters and the newer power cruisers hitting the market with good success. If you look closely at sales figures, the power cruiser market is very quickly gaining on the sportbike segment, with far fewer iterations. Should be interesting to watch the trends. I suspect that Japanese will continue to build limited volume racers-sportbikes, but concetrate their sales activities on the more pragmatic midrange type equipment. The old addage that what wins on Sunday sells on Monday, isn't always ringing true.

Hold on to that Buell of yours if you can, I suspect in a decade or two it may fetch a pretty penny to collectors. Funny how that works.

Take care & ride safe,
Kev

·
Registered
5 Posts
New 2003 Harley with V-rod motor

Here's a sneak peek of a new 2003 Harley with a V-rod motor , it's a dual purpose bike , bet it will haul ass in the dirt...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just kidding with the picture. It's an artist idea of a V-Rod motor in a different kind of bike. But seriously , I wouldn't doubt if Harley puts that motor in some other type of bike in the future.

FatBoyRider :cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts