Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure what topic to post this under so I tossed it in here.

I was looking at a few older sportbikes on ebay today and it occured to me that they have complete side fairings, where the newer bikes have more frame and mechanical parts(like the tranny or engine cases) exposed. personally I like the fuller fairing and in the case of a spill it might protect the parts better, why do the newer ones have less plastic? and which do you guys like?

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
SilentNEKO said:
why do the newer ones have less plastic?
i think it has allot to do with cost. plastic is VERY expensive not ony to put on but to fix. there is such a HUGE cost to repair it, just the slightest drop of a bike, it could be considered "totalled" just due to cosmetic damage.

another reason is heat. as you know, the engines tend to generate allot of heat and with less plastic covering them, the cooling properties are much better.

personally, i like the newer looks.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I like less plastic. In fact, the naked look is starting to grow on me more and more.

ps. monkey, your avatar freaks me out more and more every day.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
In many cases the newer bikes have ram air induction system that leaves a mess & so plastic around that part. Also so many are coming out with almost cockpit appearances.

The older bikes you are referring to are possibly those with just a 1/2 top fairing & a 1/4 fairing on basically an upright riding bike like the Yamaha FZ-750 & others as they had not really got into partially laying down the powerplant to the carbs or FI bodies pointed straight upright, with no bends on the intake) to the air box.

Some of us use to import our own shell like f/glass fairings in two or three pieces & it made it so easy to remove & get at the power-plant PLUS the f/glass being so tough it could stand a prang or two.

ABS plastic really cannot stand the blows of good f/glass & why most road racing bikes are fitted with f/glass.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when I say older sportbikes, I don't mean dressed up cafe racers, I mean bikes like:

honda cbr f1 & f2
80's and early 90's ninjas
80's and 90's gsx-r's
katanas
older yzf's

they all had fairings that completely covered the engine and tranny, but not any more, I like the older bike style more.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Those plastic fairings are damn heavy, and nowadays all the sportsbike figures quote maximum weight (which is rigged anyway) to lure in the punters. Last weeks 185kg weapon will get smashed at the sales counter by next weeks 182kg class leader. When they go to the trouble of weighing them with no fuel, oil water, or battery then a big slab of plastic can make a lot of difference.

Any wonder why the limited edition Ducatis, Aprilias etc use bag fulls of carbon fibre.

:)

·
Registered
88 Posts
i love bikes with big plastics, late 90's gsxrs, tlrs, ninja750s......

it's either that, or naked bikes, one way or the other, i don't really care for anything in the middle,

·
Registered
231 Posts
SilentNEKO said:
why do the newer ones have less plastic? and which do you guys like?
Well, which new bike are you talking about? I noticed the same thing and thought about it :huh: It's my guess that engineers determined the minimal amount of protection a bike needs to endure high speeds inorder to cut weight as much as possible.

Look at the new R1! That thing's wearing almost nothing compared to its previous generation.

Look at the VFR! A big, bulky (by today's standards) fairing pushes as much air past the bike/rider within reason.

I like a big fairing myself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts