Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking..why is it that motorcycles, unlike cages, aren't available with a bunch of options...like..a 600 GSXR with Inverted forks, and a beefed up swingarm like the 750's have, or a brake up grade. It seems that they offer the 600 as an entry level bike, and don't include these items that come standard on the 750 and 1000. I know the honchos belive that by doing this more people will buy the higher priced 750/1000, but I wonder..would there be a market for an upgraded 600..

What do folks think...I think there would be an increase in 600 sales with options such as these..

P

·
0 Posts
Does a 600cc bike *need* a braced swingarm? The R6 has one, but none of the others do, as far as I know.

As for the inverted forks, maybe they were a necessity on yester-year's heavier liter-class bikes due to their increased rigidity? But, now that the liter bikes are damn-near as light as the 600's, is a real need for them? I don't recall seeing the factory 600 racebikes sporting inverted forks.

I dunno, just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Pete said:
I don't recall seeing the factory 600 racebikes sporting inverted forks.
That's because they are probably required by the rulebook to use the same configuration as the streetbikes they use for homologation. Therefore, if the company decides to use RSU (right-side-up) forks for reasons such as cost competitiveness in their streetbikes, they must use them for the race bikes also. I think fork internals can be significantly altered, however.

I agree that most streetbikes probably don't need USD (upside-down) forks, especially given the way they're normally ridden.

Chris

·
Registered
576 Posts
I think the options for a bike are more of a logistics issue. I really don't have any idea of the volume of bikes that get sold, or the difference in cost. If they sold as many 600s as say honda sells civics then the volume would be high enough to put more effort, and money, into options. I just think that it would be too much of a pain for what they are making, as far as money, on 600s.

Of course, that's just a thought and maybe not a very good one.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Pete said:
Does a 600cc bike *need* a braced swingarm? The R6 has one, but none of the others do, as far as I know.

As for the inverted forks, maybe they were a necessity on yester-year's heavier liter-class bikes due to their increased rigidity? But, now that the liter bikes are damn-near as light as the 600's, is a real need for them? I don't recall seeing the factory 600 racebikes sporting inverted forks.

I dunno, just thinking out loud.

Is there any difference in handling or feel with a braced swing arm? My 2001 don't have it but the 2002 does. I understand it strengthens it, but why do you need it?

P

·
0 Posts
shannon said:

Is there any difference in handling or feel with a braced swing arm? My 2001 don't have it but the 2002 does. I understand it strengthens it, but why do you need it?
Added strength and stiffness is why it is there. Your 9R doesn't have it, but it does have a ladder-type internal construction, negating the need for a brace. The ZX12R uses the same type of swingarm. I suspect that you'd have to be an "Eric Bostrom" to notice the difference.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Pete said:
...I suspect that you'd have to be an "Eric Bostrom" to notice the difference...
This is Eric here:D :D :D :rolleyes: What are you guys talking about?:confused:

Honestly I dont even know what is an upside down fork:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
An upside down fork is one where the bottom part slides up into the top part. A right side up fork is one where the top part slides down into the bottom part. Basically, the thicker tube is on the top for upside down forks, but on the bottom in right side up forks.

Make sense?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Chris_VTR said:
An upside down fork is one where the bottom part slides up into the top part. A right side up fork is one where the top part slides down into the bottom part. Basically, the thicker tube is on the top for upside down forks, but on the bottom in right side up forks.

Make sense?
Got it thanks!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hammer 4 said:
...why is it that motorcycles…aren't available with a bunch of options...like..a 600 GSXR with Inverted forks, and a beefed up swingarm like the 750's have, or a brake up grade…
I’d imagine too many options would raise the price of the bike due to the inefficiency at plant level of having to keep up with all the possible permutations. No more options than you really ‘need’, it’s probably best for us if they just keep on punching ‘em out as one size fits all. Might be nice to have a ‘special’ for those that don’t mind spending the extra cash for some upgraded goodies, but I doubt even the special models sell well enough to really justify the extra cost to the maker.

It seems that they offer the 600 as an entry level bike…
Been reading all the posts in here lately by newbies that gotta have an R1, 9R, CBR 929, etc? Many of these folks don’t consider a 600 worthy of even an entry-level bike! Only recently has some of the ‘good stuff’ trickled down to the 600 class (praise be for 600 Supersport racing!), as the big 4 thought no one in the U.S. would pay for ‘em on a 600cc class bike. Based on what I’ve seen over the years, and what the newbies in here are looking for (much as us enlightened 600cc riders hate to admit it), they’re probably right! For a number of years, smaller displacement bikes overseas (250/400cc) have had a lot of cutting edge goodies that no one on this side of the pond would pay for, particularly on such small displacement machines.

…and don't include these items that come standard on the 750 and 1000...would there be a market for an upgraded 600…

As someone stated, the 6R/9R have ladder-type internal construction of the swingarm, supposedly negating the need for an externally braced one: maybe, maybe not. I sure do like the look of the braced swingarm/rear sub-fender integration of the Yamahas. It looks like the larger bikes have nothing on the 600s in the brake department these days, as my 6R has 6-piston pots up front. I don’t know that you really need the extra rigidity provided by an upside down fork on a 600, especially as rigid as the conventional forks are these days, but I think I would really like the decrease in unsprung weight offered by an upside down fork. After all, can your front end ever be too supple/responsive?

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My main idea was, to have them as options, you could always get a 600 as they come...said parts were just examples..there could be others for riders who want a bit more, what ever that means to each rider, so what I'm saying is...have them available, if someone wants them, who doesn't want to go through the hassle of gettin aftermarket stuff..this could apply to anybike, I just picked the 600, due to some differences between it, and the 750, and the liter..:D

Is there anything you guys, and gals would like to see available on your fave bike that it didn't come with, that the factory, could reasonably offer it, as a option ???

I know for myself, if I was to buy a new Gixxer 600, I'd like to have the nitrate coated inverted forks, and a beefer swing arm.
I'd also like to have a brake upgrade too..:D We could take it one step further, and maybe offer an aftermarket suspension from one of the manufatures, such as Olin, ect...once again, for those that would want this sort of option, and willing to pay for it...

·
Registered
753 Posts
Hammer 4 said:
My main idea was, to have them as options, you could always get a 600 as they come...said parts were just examples..there could be others for riders who want a bit more, what ever that means to each rider, so what I'm saying is...have them available, if someone wants them, who doesn't want to go through the hassle of gettin aftermarket stuff..this could apply to anybike, I just picked the 600, due to some differences between it, and the 750, and the liter..:D

Is there anything you guys, and gals would like to see available on your fave bike that it didn't come with, that the factory, could reasonably offer it, as a option ???

I know for myself, if I was to buy a new Gixxer 600, I'd like to have the nitrate coated inverted forks, and a beefer swing arm.
I'd also like to have a brake upgrade too..:D We could take it one step further, and maybe offer an aftermarket suspension from one of the manufatures, such as Olin, ect...once again, for those that would want this sort of option, and willing to pay for it...

I would like a factory installed steering damper, and twin Amraam rocket motors for those long straight aways

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hammer 4 said:
Yeah...wish my 6R came with a nifty map pocket somewhere up front! Hey, it helps to know where you are when you're lookin' for new roads! I hate having to stuff my map in my jacket.

I know for myself, if I was to buy a new Gixxer 600, I'd like to have the nitrate coated inverted forks, and a beefer swing arm. I'd also like to have a brake upgrade too..
Don't the new 600 Gixxers have beefier swing arms? The R6/CBR do, and though Kawasaki's doesn't look like a traditional reinforced swingarm, they say the internal ladder-type construction negates the need for one (true or not, who knows).
Don't know 'bout the brakes on the new 600 Gixxers, but the 6R has six-piston, different diameter pucks. I've read tests that put the 6R/R6 brakes in a race for title of 'best brakes': don't know 'bout the CBR/Gixxer. 'Course, the fact that they're six piston (vs 4) doesn't necessarily mean they work better.
So...other than the nitrate coated, iverted forks, looks like the newer model 600s have you covered? Things have changed a bit since your '97 was produced!

We could take it one step further, and maybe offer an aftermarket suspension from one of the manufatures, such as Olin, ect...once again, for those that would want this sort of option, and willing to pay for it...
Heck, I'd be interested in seeing how much a darn nice Ohlins etc suspension would add to the price. Based on the price of OEM parts vs. Ohlins/Penske, etc, it shouldn't add much UNLESS your brand makes their own shocks, etc. If they're farming out the manufacture of the forks/shocks, I would think buying from one of the big names in suspension components wouldn't add much.
'Course, this is assuming the name-brand stuff is that much better (if any) than what the OEM is sticking on 'em. I'm sure they're studying/copying the best stuff out there, and probably producing at much lower cost? If so, all they have to do is educate us, eh?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts