Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my good old Ever Start Battery finally kicked the bucket after 2 seasons without a charging session.

I picked up my new, HIGHLY RECCOMENDED Yuasa battery today only to find out that it needs to be charged before its first use. Funny, through all the reccomendations people have given me no one ever seemed to mention that nor did any of the websites / catalogs I browsed through. I don't have a battery tender or charger for that matter so it looks like im stuck without the bike for a few more days.

3 Questions:
1) Are all batteries like this?
2) What type of charger do I need?
3) Have any of you known shops that charge a battery for you?

Thanks.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
I've never heard of a new battery that needed to be charged. Thought they were all plug-n-play......:)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Boost-start your bike, maybe it'll bump start with the new battery, and go for a REALLY REALLY long ride :)

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I've never heard of new batteries that needed to be charged. Maybe you could swing by a local bike shop(or car shop) and see if they will jump you. Then just ride for a few hours and charge it up.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You must charge it before use or it will never have a full charge. It should be done before you put it on the bike. It will have an initial charge of about 75 to 85% when activated by putting in the acid. This is enough to make the bike work but if you use it even once before charging it, it will never reach a full 100% charge. You also should have a battery tender to keep it working properly.

Also, bump starting a bikle with a bad battery can damage your electrical system.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Also, Any shop will charge it for you. Probably at no cost. The shop that sold it to you should have done it. Make sure it is a motorcycle shop though, In an emergency I once bought a battery from Wal Mart and they nearly blew the battery up charging it. It was smoking after about 2 minutes. I kept telling them it says 5 amp max right there on the battery and they kept looking in some store manual for the proper setting which they said was 50 amps. Morons. Ended up walking to another shop with a different battery to have them charge it.

It should take about 5 hours to charge. Use a 1.5 amp max charger. Less amps is fine or better

Buy, The "Battery Tender Plus". Best Investement you can make. I Think Yuasa now makes it. You can hook up a pigtail(comes with it) to your battery that stays on the bike while you charge it. Also carefully read the directions with the battery. Some now have to keep the caps on instead of off while charging.

Also, after installing your FULLY CHARGED new battery take your bike to the shop to have them check your charging system or you may be buying a new battery again soon.
Something a simple as dirty connections could be all it takes to kill a battery. That or just too much sitting unused over the winter.

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,322 Posts
Snake said:
Buy, The "Battery Tender Plus". Best Investement you can make. I Think Yuasa now makes it. You can hook up a pigtail(comes with it) to your battery that stays on the bike while you charge it. Also carefully read the directions with the battery. Some now have to keep the caps on instead of off while charging.
Ditto here... I bought one for my old CBR 600 that I could never keep a batter charged in if I didnt' ride it every week or so.. (no one could find a sort that was draining it :confused: ) so I put the battery tender plus on it and just plugged it in while in the garage being unused. The connections stayed on the batter all the time and was small enough that you never noticed them when riding and I never had another dead battery after that :thumb: I included it with the 600 when I sold the bike and wish I had gotten me another one to have on hand in the event I needed another one.. even for just trickle charged during the winter months :2cents: it has a smart charge system that checks the battery for it's level of charge and shuts off when it's not needed.. so no worries of every frying your battery...

E.
trickle charge is always better than speed chargin like mentioned above .... if using a normal charger choose the 12v 2 amp switch instead of the 12v 6 amp. :cool:

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the great replies... advice has been takin.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Snake said:
You must charge it before use or it will never have a full charge. It should be done before you put it on the bike. It will have an initial charge of about 75 to 85% when activated by putting in the acid. This is enough to make the bike work but if you use it even once before charging it, it will never reach a full 100% charge.
You know, thats funny. Not only have I never heard that , but I used to work in a bike shop doing little gofer work. One of the things I did was fill batteries. And I NEVER once heard anyone tell a customer that they needed to charge the battery.:2cents:

·
Registered
136 Posts
They don't say it but make sure you wait about an hour after filling the cells before charging. Again, Read the instructions

I have researched this before and found several sources saying the same thing.
This is from From the Battery Tender Web site FAQ:

20. Can the Battery Tender Plus successfully perform the initial charge on a new, flooded, motorcycle battery?

Background: The motorcycle dealers receive batteries from the manufacturer in a dry state. The plates are dried out, and there is no acid in the cell compartments. (Do not confuse this with a dry-cell battery.) The dealer must fill the individual battery cells with acid and then put them on a shop charger to pre-charge prior to selling them to a customer. As the batteries arrive from the manufacturer, the plates are approximately 80% "formed". The initial pre-charge, post-formation charge, or more correctly, formation-finishing charge, must be conducted at a specific power level and for a specific time period. Each manufacturer has its own recommendations, for example one manufacturer recommends that the charger deliver a constant current equal to 10% to 15% of the battery amp-hour capacity and that the charge current be applied to the battery for a period of 5 to 10 hours.

Answer 1) Certainly if the dealer has properly pre-charged the battery after filling it with acid, then the answer is ABSOLUTELY YES.
Answer 2) If the dealer has not properly pre-charged th
e newly filled battery prior to the sale, then the answer is YES, WITH SOME QUALIFICATIONS:

Qualification A) The Battery Tender® Plus should be left on the new battery for a minimum of 24 hours on float, in addition to whatever amount of time it takes for the charger to get to the float stage. It is not clear how to correlate the 80% formed plates with a given state of charge once the cells are filled with acid. To be safe, assume that the batteries require a full 100% charge after the cells are filled.

For example, a 16 Ah battery will take about 13 hours to get to the absorption voltage (constant 14.4 Volts). It may take another 6 to 8 hours to reach the float voltage (constant 13.2 Volts). This may sound awkward; because what happens is that the battery charge current drops while the absorption voltage is held constant. When the battery current drops to 0.1 amp, or if 6 to hours have elapsed at the absorption voltage, the charger automatically switches its output from 14.4 V to 13.2 V. So it may take the better part of 20 hours to reach the float stage. Add another 24 hours to that and you are at 44 hours. Throw in another 4 hours for good measure and you get a nice round, even 48 hours, or 2 days.

Qualification B) Although there are probably several charging methods that will be equally effective, regardless of who manufactures the battery, in the interests of technical consistency, they will not officially sanction any initial charging method other than those published in their technical applications literature

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In any event I still think it a pain that its finally nice out and im stuck with a battery full of acid and lacking charge making me sit here and look at the bike instead of riding it.

Now is there any real difference or advantage in Battery Tenders? http://www.motorcyclebatteriesusa.com is selling the battery tender Jr for $30 shipped as opposed to around $50 for the Tender Plus.

Second... im not always akin to reading ALL the directions before I start something and this was one of those times. So, doing the procedure while reading along I added the acid to the battery (properly, according to the directions) and now its just sitting since I don't have a charger. I put the cell cover on lightly. Any idea if this is ruining my purchase? Thanks.

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,322 Posts
I went for the plus because it had the smart charging system that analyses the batterys amount of charge and automatically adjusts its output and turns itself off when not needed... it's worth the extra trust me.. :2cents: oh yea and it comes with those neat cables that are attached to your battery all the time so no more need to remove plastic or your seat to gain access to your battery every time you need to plug it up.. and the cables are so small you dont' notice them riding...

after visiting your link I see they offer those quick disconnects for the Jr model for an additional $ 6.75 and also state now that the Jr is now designed to prevent overcharging.. so I guess it's better now than when I was lookin at them 4 yrs ago :eek:

hmm... it appears in that ad the quick disconnect is no longer included with the smart charge one :confused:

E.
Geesh maybe I should just deleted this post all together since my original info is out dated :p

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,322 Posts
Battery Tender Site

Ok I was not wrong after all.. your supplier link only carried two styles.. here is the real Battery Tender Plus and it does include the quick disconnects and such... browse their site and you'll see more information :thumb:

E.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
the Yuasa battery i just bought needed to be charged also but it was done by the shop. when i ordered my battery, they filled it and charged it for me. i've bought various brands of batteries for the bike and all of them needed to be charged before i installed them. most again, were done by the shop when they came in.

as for a charger, i bought a Sears one and it works fine.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea according to the Battery Tender site the JR would fit my needs. And so it would appear that the Yuasa brand of battery tender would also.

Automatic 12V 900 mA Battery Charger
Fully automatic 3 level charge cycle for effective charging
Reaches 14.4 volt peak, then automatically switches to float
Reverse polarity protection
2 year limited warranty
Product Number: YUA1200901

Comes with the hardwire cables and all too... Difference being this: I can go buy the Yuasa one right now for $30 from the Honda dealer or I could order the BT JR for $30 and wait for it to get here from Cali. Decisions Decisions....

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/accessories.asp

·
Registered
517 Posts
And why wouldn't you go buy charger at the dealer NOW if you are worried about your battery sitting there deteriorating and not being able to ride your bike? :confused:

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im actually on my way out the door to the shop... yea I know its obvious, but simple reasoning comes slower after a night at the bar.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Kyle said:
yea I know its obvious, but simple reasoning comes slower after a night at the bar.
i hear ya there...:thumbs2:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
For some years now I have been using the jell like batteries. That is what my '91 Mazda 4X4 came with & I replaced it with the same 2 yrs ago, same on my '97 Yamaha YZF600r & same on my '00 Honda 929.

Less chance of a mess from a wet battery, no corrosion at the positive terminal, no need for me to bond a GOOD dime (more silver in said old ones) to help ward off corrision, no drain line, etc.

Friend of mine had to order in a NEW battery for his BMW 1000 flat opposed, took it to a sort of Mickey Mouse Honda shop that only deals in Honda dirt irons, chain saws, mowers, etc., only once he had picked it up & was home to put it in the bike there is a mess of one lower corner having been knocked out & dealer claims it was not their doing (knowing my friend I know it was not his as he is so fussy), SO orders a 2nd battery then asks me where to get the job done proberly so sent him to the Yamaha shop some 40 miles away. Anyway end of troubles at quite a cost.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After all said and done (read: bought battery tender JR, charged battery, etc...) its now raining and will be for the next 4 days. Figures.

But at least now i have a charger and hopefully won't be dealing with a dead battery for quite some time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts