Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...my first post!! I am a new rider with a '93 Honda F2. When I got the bike a little over a month ago, the battery died and so I replaced it. Today I decided to give my bike an oil change and tighten the chain. When I was done I rolled it onto the driveway to start it up and take it for a ride...

When I tried to start it, it sounded like the battery had almost no juice and wouldn't start. So, (I know youre not really supposed to do this but) I jumped it really quick with my mom's car and decided to let it run for a while to see if the battery would charge up. I let it sit for about ten minutes and it overheated!!!....the bike turned off and coolent poured all over the driveway.


Does anyone know why, or what's going on? Any suggestions for a newbie. If anyone could help I would appreciate it.....the bike is my only means of trans. Thanks.

chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,400 Posts
Letting the engine run at idel with dream that the battery will be charged up is a dream of so many beginners. With the bike you have, get the battery running & then take it out for around an hour run at 4 to 6 though whiich then allows the charging system to get doing its thing. Remember the largest drain on the battery is starting up the bike, so if you have been making short runs with constant starting up then another reason the battery will fail on you.

Buy yourself a Battery Tender (trade name & it is not a normal trickle charge, but a special unit for small batteries like on our bikes) & you will give your battery a much longer life. For instance I have a '97 Yamaha YZF600r & the battery is still good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,430 Posts
It takes about 20 minutes of "riding" to fully recharge a battery after a normal start. The battery prolly wasn't charging at all while it was at idle and the bike just over heated. Get a Battery Tender like Smitty mentioned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,400 Posts
The engine itself for there was NO AIR going through the rad. The m/c is not like a car as they need the flow of air as well for automotive engines can also be used for big industrial things like compressors & such, which are stationary, while a m/c is NOT to be left for any length of time STATIONARY. You can have the same thing happen when you have your m/c engine running when in traffic line-ups & especially hot days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,798 Posts
Wait a second there... A motorcycle (water cooled) should be able to idle for some time without overheating. While the radiator and fan is not sufficient to run the engine near redline for long (but should still run 10-20min without overheating) it should do just fine at idle. I'm not saying leave your bike idling in the garage overnight, but a few minutes of idling shouldnt hurt your cooling system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Letting the engine run at idel with dream that the battery will be charged up is a dream of so many beginners. With the bike you have, get the battery running & then take it out for around an hour run at 4 to 6 though whiich then allows the charging system to get doing its thing. Remember the largest drain on the battery is starting up the bike, so if you have been making short runs with constant starting up then another reason the battery will fail on you.

Buy yourself a Battery Tender (trade name & it is not a normal trickle charge, but a special unit for small batteries like on our bikes) & you will give your battery a much longer life. For instance I have a '97 Yamaha YZF600r & the battery is still good.
Hey guys...my first post!! I am a new rider with a '93 Honda F2. When I got the bike a little over a month ago, the battery died and so I replaced it. Today I decided to give my bike an oil change and tighten the chain. When I was done I rolled it onto the driveway to start it up and take it for a ride...

When I tried to start it, it sounded like the battery had almost no juice and wouldn't start. So, (I know youre not really supposed to do this but) I jumped it really quick with my mom's car and decided to let it run for a while to see if the battery would charge up. I let it sit for about ten minutes and it overheated!!!....the bike turned off and coolent poured all over the driveway.


Does anyone know why, or what's going on? Any suggestions for a newbie. If anyone could help I would appreciate it.....the bike is my only means of trans. Thanks.

chris
So did you.find out what it is because mine is doing the same thing
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top