Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I found this site the other day about changing the back lights on the odometer of a ZX-6R....I had already seen bluegauges.com but I wasn't about to spend $80 on that. The site gives a pretty good description and how-to step by step in installing the new leds. http://www.i-hacked.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=209
Well anyways, heres a pic of mine, cost about $12 for the smds, and another $10 or so for a soldering iron and solder.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I like that mod simple. cheap, and not too gaudy. Wouldn't trust myself to do it though. If I had somethig to practice and mess up on I could probably do it. I would not want to have to pay to replace a guage

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its easier than even the how-to explains it.....i had never soldered before, and i practiced a little before i tried it on my bored but still had no clue what i was doing, i didn't even use the desoldering braid, i just heated up the original solder, pulled the old smds off and used the original solder....if there wasn't any solder left on the thing i would put a little on, but other than that it was pretty easy....i'll admit the first 3 or so took me over an hour, and the next 3 about 30 mins.....but the last 6 i did in like 15 mins...so once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did the same on my bike, and another 636.

I only charge $50 to mod the gauges on bikes, and that includes LED's and return shipping (Much better than $80). I also guarantee my work for as long as you own the bike. (see my sig for a link).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts