Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to slide my new 05 Ninja 6X-R into a median...
Is there a better place to find the fairings/cowlings than the dealer?

Between cold weather, cold tires, and gravel I should have known better...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dude, where you injured? what happened? Slick roads?
Have you been riding for a while????
Someone will hook you up with some fairings/cowlings.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Wow sorry to hear of your misfortune... can we get some details? Any injuries? Quick healing to you and your bike! Shake it off bro, it happens to everyone. Hop back on and enjoy!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the concern...you guys are really cool. I crashed on Saturday and was really sore on Sunday/Monday, but I'm feeling pretty good now. No major injuries to report.

Fortunately, I was wearing full gear (as always). I never crashed a bike before, so this was quite the experience. All a knew was that my rear tire slide out from under me as I was taking a bend at about 30. I didn't really goose it around the bend, but I could have gone slower. I tried to correct but I knew it was over. It's funny because all I was thinking about was my bike.

As soon as the bike hit the median, I was flung over (yes, into oncoming lanes of traffic, which fortunately, weren't moving very quickly). I just tumbled around a little bit, scratching up my helmet, coat, and knees. Adrenaline was pumping (I felt the pain later). The left side of my Ninja dragged along the median giving it some nice battle scars. One of the stopped cars asked me if I was all right and I said, "Yes sir, doing fine. Thanks". I shoved my recently detached mirror under my coat, picked up the bike, did a quick safety check, and drove her to a nearby parking lot to do a better assessment.

I already ordered a new mirror and peg. I'm just not sure about ordering the body panels from the dealer. They want a lot of money. Any suggestions on that would help.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
srgaskil said:
...One of the stopped cars asked me if I was all right and I said, "Yes sir, doing fine. Thanks"...
hahaha, what a crack-up!:D

BTW, don't forget to buy a new helmet. Any damage to your old one means it's now a great trophy!:p

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I have to laugh when I read this post: when I had my bad wreck a few years back, the only 2 things I said afterward (major concussion, so I said them repeatedly without knowing I was doing so) were: where's my bike, and how's my bike. :D

The 2 best places for used fairings, IMHO, are ebay and this site's classifieds. I got all but one piece from ebay, the other piece being from this site.

Good lcuk, and glad to hear you weren't hurt. :thumb:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Fortunately you were not seriously injured & bike is not totalled plus you knew what you did wrong & bet you will take it easier on the bends.

Cannot help you on parts of plastic, though just good to hear you came out okay & you gear helped in the prang.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just figured that I should update ya'll....

I ordered the new cowlings from Kawi.... I little frost/gravel cost me just over $1,100.... argh.....

Thanks all for your support!

The biggest problem with a high-performance machine is a low-performance operator. ;-)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I can't believe you did that, but it's spilled milk at this point. I had to replace all plastics, including upper and tailsection, and I paid $700 including a custom paintjob.

·
Registered
15 Posts
im new at this but what exactly are frame sliders. i know where they are at and little things about them but what are they (purpose).?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Frame sliders are there just to absorb the impact when you go down. They stick out farther from your bike, you scratch damage them not your fairing (plastic body work).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
An excellent idea. Funny...I never thought that I would need them...;)

I can't quite figure out if any cowling alteration is required to install them on my '05 636... Does anyone know?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
srgaskil said:
An excellent idea. Funny...I never thought that I would need them...;)

I can't quite figure out if any cowling alteration is required to install them on my '05 636... Does anyone know?
No alteration should be needed, and the various frame slider manufacturers make all the sliders according to your bike's specs.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
srgaskil said:
It's funny because all I was thinking about was my bike.
Sure took me a long while to notice this thread, but glad you're unhurt all the same!

I've said this same thing when I've gone down...... shortly followed by, "What the hell did I do wrong there?" :confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Something like that happened to me in 01. Had a 01 ZX-6R. Rear tire slipped out from below me at that same speed. But mine was caused by a 1/2" x 4" bolt in the road!!! I walked away too. Glad to hear you didn't get hurt.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts