Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got about 500mi on my new VTR1000 and have begun to notice a knocking sound from the gearbox when the clutch is released in neutral. Sometimes it is loud, sometimes it is hardly noticeable. Is this normal?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a constant sound. I've found a few posts on this forum mentioning this sound on an F4. Apparently, it is the sound of the clutch basket spinning.....

·
Registered
580 Posts
98 vtr 20000 miles

The only knocking I ever heard didnt go away when I pulled the clutch in or out, it was like a valve or something and when I switched to a better oil I never heard it again. I read your post to mean that if you pulled IN the clutch it would stop. If this is not the case then check that the exhaust pipes are tight at the heads and try changing the oil . I had to tighten my front exhaust pipe once after a few 1000 miles from new. That can make a little knocking noise too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks OsiS & nick_nolastname. I just checked at the shop and am told that it is a normal sound. As usual, I am a hypochondriac in regards to my vehicles.

·
Registered
72 Posts
while it is still cool put your ear to clutch cover and have someone pull clutch in for you . i have the same sound and it is clutch ,perfectly normal. hell its a honda!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts