Votes: 27 7.5%
  • A sure sign of a squid.

Votes: 133 37.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Whatever floats your boat. I've seen grandmas drive Ferraris and people who should race professionally drive Metros. Probably less than half of the performance products sold for bikes are ever used to even close to their performance capabilities. If someone thinks that lights look cool, more power to them.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I tried putting a neon on my bike and it totally crushed it. I burnt the clutch out trying to get it to move before realizing the rims were bent. It might look cool but it adds 2500 lbs to your bike. Now Im stuck driving the neon. DONT DO IT!

·
Registered
515 Posts
someone once said"neons are lame"...

this person knows something .......about lame.................and neons..

they belong in bars...dont feck up a good bike..

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think they look great. I tried putting some on my bike but they kept going out when I did wheelies and stoppies. So no more neons for my bike :(

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i like them....on other people's bikes. not for me, but that doesn't make them bad. i like them on some bikes...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I guy I used to ride with had as many red neons on his ZX9R as it could hold. He thought it looked cool. Everyone else called his bike the toaster.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Neon lights=f**king wacky :twofinger but hey to each his own. I also think they look just as lame on cars :barf: as they do on bikes :D but, again, whatever turns you on!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Re: someone once said"neons are lame"...

spongebob said:
this person knows something .......about lame.................and neons..

they belong in bars...dont feck up a good bike..
LOL! You bastard! I only came across this thread by chance or I would have never gotten your dig! :finger: :D

Oh, BTW Poster, NEON SUCKS DIRTY HAIRY ARSE! :hurl:

·
Registered
515 Posts
hondanut..we agree...(one of the 7 signs!!)

neons are soo lame...why on earth would anyone take a race replica and sick these gay frickin lights on it??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Neons?!!

Puhleeeze! Don't make me :barf: ! Ya gotta be kiddin' me right! The only place I wanna see neons are in the front window at the bike shop tellin' me to come on in!!:drool:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I like the look when the bulb is hidden and the light just comes out through holes and spaces in the bodywork. Unfortunately most of the dorks with neons are complete squids so I wouldn't mount'em on my bike for fear of the further association with the oceanic invertebrates (my riding/crashing bring me close enough to said association without the visual aids:twofinger :twofinger ).

·
Registered
284 Posts
I agree with apexismaximus - I think they look nice in moderation. For example, I used to have one under the seat of my F4i shining down onto the rear tire, swingarm, etc. I took it off after a while because I just didn't want it anymore. If neons are overdone (and it doesn't take much to overdo it), I think they are a sure sign of a squid. When you think about the fact that there are basically four major manufacturers of motorcycles, each making three or four different models in two or three colors, it's not hard for a bike to blend in. A neon or two is a way to make your bike look a little different.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Neons, like any other customization to a bike should be purely up to the opinion of the owner. To say, "Only squids use neons" is an inaccurate and broad generalization. And is even more inaccurate to pinpoint the sexual orientation of a rider. I personally wouldn't use them simply because I dont like to draw any undue attention to myself while riding. But I do agree with apex, They do look good in moderation.

I'm sure once I post the pics of my bike in a couple weeks, some of you will not like some of the things I've done to it. Thats fine, because I really don't care if you like my bike or anyone else's. I customized my bike to be what I wanted. But whoever goes so far as to call me a squid or homosexual for customizing my bike... well, that just displays your own ignorance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
apexismaximus said:
I like the look when the bulb is hidden and the light just comes out through holes and spaces in the bodywork. Unfortunately most of the dorks with neons are complete squids so I wouldn't mount'em on my bike for fear of the further association with the oceanic invertebrates (my riding/crashing bring me close enough to said association without the visual aids:twofinger :twofinger ).
I agree too with Apexismaximus. They could look good, but most idiots do a half-ass job, buy the lights one day, then rush and try to have them installed the same night without any real planning.....There was a time when neon lights were REALLY cool (on cars), that was 1994 i think! When they first came out!

I guess i shouldn't be a hypocrite, because i put a wheelie light on my bike that switches on & off with a mercury switch - and allot of guys i ride with keep calling my bike a Christmas tree!;)

BUT, if you like 'em, buy 'em - who cares what other people say?!:finger: I'm sure you bought your bike for you to enjoy it, not because other people said it would be 'cool' to get one............At least I hope that's why you bought it!!!!:(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Personally on a car I wouldn't do it.
But I wouldn't mind adding neons on a bike (in tastefull moderatoin of course) cause it helps to make the bike more visible at night for safety. If it wasn't for the neon's glow from the bottom on a bike catchin my eye. I probabaly wouldn't have noticed him and his clean lookin bike (esp. in a suburban city with few/none street lights available)
I also notice another bike had like some kind of bright LEDS on his bolts of his rear license plate...also helped make him more visible to me (as a driver of a car).

But yes, I do see most ya'll points about how neons can be "gay" esp. me being involved in the import scene alot, I can understand where most of you are coming from. It's all about creativity and some good tastes in the art of customization.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Will this neon thing ever die? :rolleyes:

But nonetheless, I was doing some homework last night, ride-along with San Jose PD. We came across a bunch of guys with loud exhausts (cars, aren't too many bikes out, since it's a bit nippy), LIGHTS of all kind, etc.

The officer I was with said, "Those lights are not legal. It's in violation of vehicle code." The code book is friggin' 3" thick! They'll site you for something, and you can't fight it unless you've got a copy and can find where it says your crap IS legal. Good luck. So the driver gets pulled over. Turns out, he didn't have a California driver's license, proof of insurance, or registration. Didn't even have ANY valid US identification. On top of that, he had about $800 of outstanding fines.

My point is, if ya got something to hide, say aftermarket exhaust system or something (none of which are street legal), I prefer to keep attention away from me.

Light it up, and you WILL BE SEEN. Like they say, 'be careful what you wish for".

1 - 20 of 93 Posts