Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you all know I have done quite a bit of work to my FZR to get it running good. Top end, gearing, blah, blah, blah.

I kept everything stock, except the re-bore which is just slightly over stock. But not much.

I feel like she's running pretty good right now, and I have been experimenting with trying to ride wheelies. I have read EVERY Wheelie post here at SBW and know what to do, BUT she don't wanna cum :) up.

Off the line and up the gears she'll scream like a bitch, but usually won't get more than 1-2 in. off the ground and that's with an almost empty tank.

I have done the 7-8000 rpm's in first roll off and back on and can give her everything she's got but she never gives back more than an inch or two. And as far as a 2nd or 3rd roll on wheelie, Never happen...

I don't want to go into every technique I've tried because you all know them, Hell, you wrote them. But, it feels like the power is there and I know that a stock FZR 1000 can sure as hell ride a wheelie, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong or not doing right.

I desperatly want to wreck my bike riding a wheelie, but if I can't figure it out soon I'm going to have to resort to 175 mph high speed freeway runs to get my kicks. :) :) :D :D

I should probably buy a helmet before I do that.. huh? :) :)

Please help me fullfill my dream. Be Kind.. I know you guys love teaching us squids how to ride.

------------------
Dave FZR1

"Master....Master... where's the dreams that I've been after

Master...Master...You promised only lies

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey, Dave....

Know anybody who CAN do the type of wheelies you want to do? Put him on your bike and ask him to demonstrate. Take copious notes, make some videos, and then get on the bike with him there, and try it yourself. Get him to critique your style, RPMs, balance, and so forth.

Of course, I'd do it on some secluded parking lot, away from residential areas, and have the paramedics and an ambulance standing by. Maybe find some old mattresses and use them as your "landing pad".

I'm too chicken to do wheelies myself, but just to satisfy my curiousity, I asked a friend of mine to do some on my bike to see what it looked like.

MY GAWD!!!!!

I'll never be the same again.

------------------
"After all, we ARE professionals, here."

·
Registered
186 Posts
You should have seen my brother on my ZX6R.
Ever think about getting different sprokets? What the rider lacks the machine should make up for.

------------------
Dan...Comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I switched bikes with a friend I ride with this weekend, he has a 96 cbr900r and this guy did wheelies with my bike that I thought it would never do!!! His bike was cool for me too, all I had to do was twist the throttle and up it went... not so for my little zx-6r.. but he got it up waaay up!! I was impressed, but tells me, I can do it, just need to get it down! Good luck man!

by the way, here's him doin a wheelie with his cbr in front of my house.. www.joe4speed.com/mike1.mpg

------------------
Joe
1999 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, 4,100 miles, Vance and Hines Titanium slip on, synthetics, more to come soon!!!

1988 Mustang GT ;)

[This message has been edited by JL1314 (edited August 16, 2000).]

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
If I were you I would try learning on the dirt
with a dirt bike. Most likley the reason you
are having trouble is that you are more afraid
then confident. If you are on the dirt you
will be able to focus more on the task at hand
because you won't be as intimidated in that
environment. Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck,
Chris :)

------------------
I've got what it takes to take what you've got.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You're going to have to use your clutch to get it up... the FZR is heavy in the front just like the GSXR's (before SRAD) get it about 4000 rpm, pull the clutch in slightly, enough to make the enine rev and "pop" the clutch. Don't give it too much throttle at first, get used to it first. Then start giving it more to get the front end up higher. I learned back when motorcycles could not do wheelies by diving the front end down and gassing it. To me, it is harder to judge the wheelie, ESPECIALLY if you don't bounce it enough... then you get into the powerband and it flies up on you. If you get used to "popping" the clutch, it is much easier in my opinion... but that is how I learned.

- Jeff -

------------------

Kahuna's Home Page
ICQ # - 14578052

1 - 6 of 6 Posts