Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HYPOTHETICAL situation: :twofinger

K folks, this morning, let's imagine the thread starter of the fine topic on tips to avoid cops got busted on a crowded highway... :laughing: My fatal error: not scanning traffic. He saw me before I saw him..

Anywho, I wanted to tap into the creative minds here at SBW, here's the situation:

Heavy interstate traffic, 4 lanes, full, slow moving, maybe 15mph at MOST.

Let's imagine the cop gets me for riding in the breakdown lane, although he gives me a "break" by not writing me up for "failure to signal" (more than once let's say).

And the possible defenses to this hypothetical situation are:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Uhhhh...you um....had a bee in your helmet/car(whatever you were in), and had to pull over FAST.

Your girlfriend called and said she couldn't wait for you to get home so she could introduce you to her hot bisexual stripper friend.

You had to drop a mad deuce.

I'm not good at this...

I got pulled over last night for speeding. Give the cop my registration, which apparently expired in July. Yup, my car isn't registered. Got let go with a written warning for speeding, he didn't even run my plate. Had to call my cop friend immediately after and thank him for the MA police sticker he gave me(which the cop asked about).

·
Registered
157 Posts
whenever i got stopped on my bike or in my car ive always said one of my family members were in the hospital make it sound really bad.....its worked for me more than once. :D

·
Registered
675 Posts
your signal light was out... and you didn't know this till he pulled you over. So you were signaling however the bulb was burnt out? In maine they give you a defect card and you must have it repaired in 48hrs I believe.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Decent ideas, but I need something a bit more believable. I've got to take the facts, analye them, and put them into their proper place/context.

For example,

One of the key factors, is, at what point did he observe me? He might have observed me after an event took place that effectively required me to move into the breakdown lane for a period of time.

Remember, this is very heavy, barely moving traffic...

Thanks for the inputs so far, each one fosters thought, just another piece for this jigsaw puzzle THE MAN calls THE LAW!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'm guessing you were going more than 15 mph in the breakdown lane. Which means that you obviously weren't broken down. By the sound/looks of things, you were doing exactly what you got pulled over for. Which makes it kind of hard to fight. If you have a viable emergency, then use that. Perhaps you were waiting patiently in traffic and your "haha you're outta fuel!" light came on. Instead of sitting in traffic and then becoming more of a burden to the already slow bottleneck, you decided to make your way around as SAFELY and quickly as possible to the nearest gas station as not to impeed on traffic. You're actions were taken to HELP the situation. Not hurt it. Probably a load of horseshit. But if the ticket is really all that bad (points and money wise) its worth a shot. Honestly it sounds like he didn't rape you too bad and you might just be better off suckin it up. But, if you can beat it... it's always worth a try. Good luck

·
Registered
434 Posts
Bike was starting to overheat in the traffic, you needed to proceed to the breakdown lane and get cooler air flowing into your radiator. You could not just stop, because that would make the temp go higher, causing you to be broke down, or damage to the bike. u were just doing the best posibble thing you could do.

This is assuming you were not doing 70mph in the break down lane.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I almost got pulled over for lanesplitting a couple days ago. A state trooper came up on the left shoulder with lights on and pulled over to the right shoulder in front of me... right as I was about to book it and turn around on the median he just pulled away! :confused:
izzybo69 said:

This is assuming you were not doing 70mph in the break down lane.
Then he can just say his bike needs lots of air. :laughing:

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Confusion.

This is the most logical solution to your problem. MA has just passed a law permitting vehicles to travel in the breakdown lane during certain times of the day. They call it traffic relief or something like that. I see that you have MA listed as one of the places you are from, and since you were pulled over, it is probably safe to assume you were not in MA at the time. Explain to the officer that you had some difficulty remembering which state passed the law, and promise you will never do it again. Since you were not doing anything that could endanger other motorists... I do not see any reason the officer wouldn't let you off with a warning. If he ticketed you... this defence could still work in court.

Let me know how the hypathetical situation turns out.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Are you sure that law was passed already? Do you have a link?

I've heard it's been passed, and I heard it wasn't passed yet as well.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ZX6R1033 said:
Confusion.

This is the most logical solution to your problem. MA has just passed a law permitting vehicles to travel in the breakdown lane during certain times of the day. They call it traffic relief or something like that. I see that you have MA listed as one of the places you are from, and since you were pulled over, it is probably safe to assume you were not in MA at the time. Explain to the officer that you had some difficulty remembering which state passed the law, and promise you will never do it again. Since you were not doing anything that could endanger other motorists... I do not see any reason the officer wouldn't let you off with a warning. If he ticketed you... this defence could still work in court.

Let me know how the hypathetical situation turns out.
OH???? This is highly interesting... No, I'm currently in MA, the supposed offense took place in MA....

I won't assume the Cop was up to date on the laws, but I'm definitely going to research this....

:thumb:

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Upon some CURSORY research, I found this:

7.08(13) Keeping to the Right
(a) In the Tunnels.
The operator of a truck, bus, school bus, or slow-moving motor vehicle in the Tunnels shall drive only in the right-hand lane unless a toll collector, Massachusetts State Police officer, or sign otherwise directs.

(b) On Ways Other Than the Tunnels.
The operator of a motor vehicle on a way other than the Tunnels shall drive in the lane nearest the right shoulder of the roadway, when that lane is available for ordinary travel, except when overtaking another vehicle in that lane or at the direction of a Massachusetts State Police officer or sign. When the lane nearest the right shoulder of the roadway is a creeper lane or breakdown lane, an operator shall drive in the lane adjacent to the creeper lane or breakdown lane, except when overtaking another vehicle in that lane or at the direction of a Massachusetts State Police officer or sign.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts