Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all just joined up and happy to be here (anyone care to guess what i ride by the user name?)

a week ago i was pulled over in my home state of Massachusetts for lane sharing (whitelining, lane splitting, ect) during bumper to bumper traffic. after this i decided not to do it any more as the last thing i need is another ticket. yesterday, however, i was stuck in traffic and was startled by the sound of screeching tires behind me. when i looked to my side a nissan quest had stopped in a fog of tire smoke about two feet from me narrowly avoiding killing me and hitting the car infront of me. the woman then put down her cell phone (go figure!). i have decided to start an onine petition to leagalize the practice of lanesharing in massachusetts to avoid similar attempts on my life as well as those of our fellow riders. i humblely ask for your support. i hope this does not violate any forum rules but i felt this was a vital issue to those who ride. the link is below

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/7/legalization-of-lane-sharing-in-the-state-of-massachusetts

this has also been picked up by laneshare.org and can be found in the massachusetts page along with a wealth of info on why this practice is needed

again thank you for any support that you can give and i look forward posting here in the future.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just wanted to take a moment and thank all who signed. your support is greatly appriciated. we are currently in talks with other orginizations to garner more support and hopefully we can get this passed. you guys rock! ride safe.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Good luck on that, if you succeed Mass. will be the first that to legalize lane sharing/splitting. While it's not illegal in california it's not exactly legal it's just CA has nothing in the books regarding it. Sounds like it may be legal since it's not illegal but because it's not legalized a cop can pull you over for doing it, they just have to call it something that actually is illegal and if you take the ticket to court you won't be able to say you were doing a legally permissible maneuver that the cop was trying to penalize you for.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
While it's not illegal in california it's not exactly legal it's just CA has nothing in the books regarding it.

You are slightly mistaken. It is legal.

Red - There is no need for a petition. For starters, online petitions usually don't do anything. Second, Mass has a law regarding using the breakdown lane during heavy traffic. There has been talk for a year or two now about legalizing lane splitting, but they are not satisfied with the procedures following the law. If you truly want to help them to pass such a law, you would be better off writing a letter with intelligent solutions to their concerns. They are still considering it, though.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Lane splitting is legal in CA as long as its done in a safe and reasonable manner. From what I've been told this usually means going no more than 5-10mph faster than surrounding traffic. During the four years I had my bike I lane split extensively without any consequences. In SoCal lane splitting is a necessity when the temp gets to 90-100 - you absolutely roast when sitting on a black road in heavy traffic with a full set of gear on.

http://www.bike-law.com/PracticeAreas/California-Bike-Laws.asp

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

·
Registered
338 Posts
"It is legal for a motorcycle rider to share a lane with another vehicle on California roads. However, be aware that many motorcycle accident victims in California have suffered from the bias, among many police and jurors, against bikers who split lanes"

It's nice how they worded that on the bike-law page, you'd think with a legal maneuver in court a bias wouldn't fly. Still sounds like california doesn't have it legalized as in have a where, when, how laid out for drivers and riders.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
I was driving through Cincinnati the other day and some tool on a 'Busa decided to do some splitting (at highway speeds no less). Everybody gave him room and he made it through ok, but it's nice of him to go ahead and further damage the image most people already have of sportbike riders.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts