Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks! First time posting so I'll give some background info since you can expect to see me around from now on. Been reading the forums awhile and I'm now posting.

My name is Dewayne and I live in FL. Finishing up the MSF course tomorrow(already passed the written with a 100% and I'm having no probs with the riding). Anywho, I'm looking into my first bike now and I'm feeling very confident in my abilities as of now. Not too confident as to do something stupid though.

Anywho, I'm looking into either a CBR or Ninja as my first bike. Most CBRs and Ninjas I've seen are brand new though. Then I ran across this, a 2000 CBR600F4 with 7k miles and the guy is asking 4200 OBO. I haven't checked the condition yet and I'm kinda ehh about buying a used bike but after reading so much, I hear it's best in case I down it, etc.

What do you folks think? Good deal or no?

EDIT Sorry about the double post. My browser wouldn't load.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Deleted it. Didn't even notice the delete option on reply. heh Thx

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Do a search on starter bikes. You'll find lotsa info about the subject.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Your question re: a good starter bike is kinda general...I mean, we have no info. as to your experience, age...ect.

As a rule, I don't recomend 600 cc sporbikes to new riders, for simple fact that a 250, or 500cc bike ..like he GS500, or he 250, or 500 EX (Ninja) will allow you to learn how to ride much faster, and being that those bikes are more user friendly...you are less likely to be in the "Suvival Mode" for very long, as compared to a 600 sportbike...I know, they look cool...well so does a Lamborgini, but we all know that new Drivers don't just jump in one to learn how to drive...

Just my 3 cents..:D

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No offense, but I'm guessing neither of you actually read my post fully. I already mentioned what 2 bikes I was looking into because I already read countless posts on bikes for new riders. I also said I had been reading these forums awhile now as well. And from what I've read, Ninjas, the SV650S, older 250s, and even the older CBRs are bikes a person could learn on.

"Anywho, I'm looking into either a CBR or Ninja as my first bike."
-Myself

I'm not asking what bike I should get as a first bike. ;)

My question was more of is a 2000 CBR600F4 with 7k miles worth about 4200 on average and would I be getting a good deal with it.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Check out nadaguide.com and kbb.com for blue book value.

These guys are just advicing from years of experience, don't take it lightly. They know much more on this subject than apparently you think you do. I have a F4 as one of my rides, and it's not to be taken lightly. Unless you wanna pussyfoot around town at 2K rpm like many, then it defeats the purpose of having a sportbike, and this bike will stall below 4k rpm. There's much more to this sport than it seems, and there are far better bikes for beginners to have with more usable power, and they'll certainly handle better below triple digits speed than F4.

Then again, like me, you're in Florida, so there's no real skills involved riding a fast bike on long, boring, and endless straights full of outrageous cage drivers. Nowhere in FL, not even Northern side or Panhandle has some of the sickest curves like these guys are used to riding. :2cents:

Don't care to convince you otherwise, but my point is... you missed the point when you claimed you read all those topics regarding beginner bikes. Passing MSF doesn't guarantee you know how to ride or are a safe rider.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
CBR

"Z-Fanatic's" post is right on the money. But it seems that he, (and every other well-meaning, experienced rider here) is giving you more information than you care to listen to.

That being said, $4200 seems like a good price for a 2000 CBR 600. Assuming that it is in good condition and has been properly maintained. Knock yourself out.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Look, the last thing I wanna do is get into some kinda flame fest on my first post but I will leave it at this...

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the input, as well as the input I get from people I know here who ride. My girlfriend especially. But, the bottom line is I know myself better than you folks do.

In either case, the F4 was just a bike I'm looking into. I still might end up getting that '05 Ninja I was looking at as well or the SV650S in a nearby city. I still have too many things to look into before I go buy a bike.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Well put words being "--I know myself better than you folks do.--" AND you know what you want so why come on here to riders with some to a lot of experience & ask them to pick out the bike for you?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Because that's NOT what I'm asking, Smitty. I'm guessing you just jumped in and read my last post instead of the whole thing. Damn you guys don't read.

3rd post I made I said I'm not asking for anyone to pick out a bike for me. I even put a smiley after I said it to keep things from getting heated over misinformation. All I was asking was if 4200 for that bike was a good price. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That's the great thing out this forum. You're gonna get alot more information than you probably asked for. Look these guys don't know a thing about you, but they know a whole lot more than you or me combined about riding bikes and are not afraid of giving advice (even if they feel you may not likw what you hear). We all want you to come back alive to post so we're gonna just say it like it is.

That being said, I just bought my first bike about a week ago. Its a 600 and the guys are right. I'm still in survival mode, nearly ate it twice just cause the damn thing gets going pretty fast if you're not careful. :2cents:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
$4200 for your FIRST bike is too much. Spend $2500 on a bike and $1000 on gear you'll be glad you did.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
If I recall...you did say that was your first bike...No..???

Sorry if I offered too much info..or was incorrect re: what you were really asking....

I didn't offer any info on the 600, cuzz IMHO a NEW rider shouldn't start on one..

No flames intened...:D

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hammer 4 said:
If I recall...you did say that was your first bike...No..???

Sorry if I offered too much info..or was incorrect re: what you were really asking....

I didn't offer any info on the 600, cuzz IMHO a NEW rider shouldn't start on one..

No flames intened...:D
First bike doesn't mean first ridden. This isn't the first time I ever rode a bike and I'm not just talking about the MSF class. In either case, it's all good. No hard feelings, bud.

Oh, and mac, with how much cash I bring home and the quotes I got from my insurance company, money isn't a biggy. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
It probably wouldn't hurt to offer a lower number for that bike. I don't think I would pay that much for it, but that's me. I also bought a 600cc supersport as my first bike. In my opinion, all this hype with 600cc sportbikes being deathtraps is blown out of proportion. Of course this is assuming that you know the basics of braking, throttle control, turning, etc. Just take it easy at first and I'm sure you'll be fine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts