Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a zx9r. jetted, muzzy exhaust, and some engine work done. i have never over the years really tried wheelies. all i have been wanting to do is haul ass!! i am wanting to learn how to wheelie now. i know my bike will do it with out any strain, but i just cant seem to get it up! not a sexual reference! i mean i can feel the front tire come up a few inches, but thats it. some of you may be asking yourself, what the hell is his problem?! really, i just need some pointers. thanks wheelie gods!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
You can check this link out Wheelie
It was very informative.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no. swing arm is normal. i think its just technique, and fear of hurting #1 my bike, #2 or me. in that order! gonna keep practicing all i can, and hopefully i will be able to get it up soon! (minds out of the gutters)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
When I started goofing a bit, I started clutching up at certain rpms, starting low. When you feel it pop up a bit, raise the rpms some before you clutch it up. Before you know it, you'll know where you need to rev to and at what speed the bike needs to be. That's what I did. By no means is it getting your bike to BP but it's still kinda fun every now and then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
practice practice practice You are prolly shifting your weight forward and don't even realize it. Learn to use the clutch to get the bike up and don't forget to utilize the back brake. All it takes is a lot of practice. Be sure to wear your gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Hello there,

I don't know if this would help but on my bike I roll through first gear up until 6k and roll for a second and hit the throttle and it goes up about 3 ft. I am not sure how to ride it out yet. :eek:

I also have been practicing clutching it while in second.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i figured out one way to get the front end up. i just scoot my bum back untill i am all the way back on the seat, get some rpms in first then twist the throttle, and bammm. its up. feels like alot, but i know it aint up much. its a start though. haven't figured out how to cluch it up. baby steps. thanks for all the help. as i figure out more wonderful ways to make my bike do things it wasn't meant to ,i will post again.

:twofinger
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
i cant emphasize this enough...start small. a few inches is perfect. DONT GO BIG.

go somewhere alone where you wont be embarassed to do small little wheelies.

a wheelie really isnt any type of rocket science, its practice. take an entire day and concentrate on having the front come up a few inches and back down. after a day or so of practicing that concentrate on clutch control and keeping the wheelie going, once the wheel comes up, just FREEZE your throttle hand, the bike will stay in the air and eventually come down, do this for a FEW DAYS

when your finally done with that concentrate on SLOWLY ACCELERATING while in the air, and you can ride wheelies for as long as the bike will let you, eventually youll learn back brake etc but this will keep you busy for the summer.

DONT GO BIG, start small bro, or you WILL fall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Vipes said:
When I started goofing a bit, I started clutching up at certain rpms, starting low. When you feel it pop up a bit, raise the rpms some before you clutch it up. Before you know it, you'll know where you need to rev to and at what speed the bike needs to be. That's what I did. By no means is it getting your bike to BP but it's still kinda fun every now and then.
Does all that practicing clutching up have any adverse effects on the clutch or any engine components?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
ironside said:
i have a zx9r. jetted, muzzy exhaust, and some engine work done. i have never over the years really tried wheelies. all i have been wanting to do is haul ass!! i am wanting to learn how to wheelie now. i know my bike will do it with out any strain, but i just cant seem to get it up! not a sexual reference! i mean i can feel the front tire come up a few inches, but thats it. some of you may be asking yourself, what the hell is his problem?! really, i just need some pointers. thanks wheelie gods!
Dude..check out this site, it should help you.

learn how to wheelie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,798 Posts
jrc52 said:
Does all that practicing clutching up have any adverse effects on the clutch or any engine components?
Wheelies place more wear on the clutch than interstare riding, but much less than drag racing. The most common wear effects from wheelies are busted forkseals and loose steering bearings. Both are caused by bringing down the bike too quickly. The trick is to get on the gas as the front end drops, helping cusion the fall.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top