Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a CBR 1100 XX, and I can get the front end up by dumping the clutch, but I haven't been able to power it up yet. When I do try to power it up I only get the front wheel to lift a few inches with the throttle at the stop. Awesome acceleration, and some huge black streaks on the ground, but no wheelies.

Is my bike too heavy, or geared wrong? My old FZR 750 used to come up in first or second with much less effort.

Any advice would be greatly apreciated.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
I had an '02 XX for a while, and with the power it had you should have no problems getting it to power up, IMO. Perhaps something in your technique doesn't work with the bike? I never really tried wheelies on mine, but it came up a time or two by accident. There certainly didn't seem to be any power problems with it.

·
Registered
866 Posts
to my knowlege the xx is a sport tourer, not a true sport bike, so with that, yes its to heavy, and yes its not geared low enough. still a nice bike, just not a good stunter

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

My wheelie problems must be with my technique, because I am still amazed by the power of my bike sometimes.

I don't really want to seriously stunt my bike, but I do want to learn how to ride decent wheelies without fragging my clutch. Even with the clutch I can only ride out first gear before I drop.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
I will agree with NEKO that it is probably not the best bike for general stunting. I'm 6'2" and 230-ish and that was still a heavy bitch to be throwing around. Wheelies shouldn't be a problem though I don't think. Like I said, I did it a few times without even trying. I don't know how far you can ride one out though, I've never really found anyone that tried. I probably would have eventually had I not wadded mine.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Actually the Double X holds the world record for fastest wheelie (240 MPH). It was a turbo'd bike but just the same, dayamn!

Anyone care to take a guess on what was the longest wheelie???

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
chris_y2k_r1 said:
Actually the Double X holds the world record for fastest wheelie (240 MPH). It was a turbo'd bike but just the same, dayamn!

Anyone care to take a guess on what was the longest wheelie???
In 1992 a Japanese trials bike rider broke the record going 206 miles.

I can't find what kind of bike it was though. This came from http://www.thewheelieking.com/wk10.htm

·
Registered
429 Posts
one of my buddies had a bike like yours , he could power it up in first, but he had to slide back farther on the seat or it would spin the tire, try that, he never tried it in the higher gears.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I remember seeing a GSX-R1100 wheelying with something like eleven people sitting on it. ( it had a special bracket atttached ) it was in the guiness book.:thumb:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally powered one up!

I was in full touring mode last week (saddle bags, tail trunk, and tank bag) and I accidently powered up a huge wheelie. I didn't even know my front wheel was off of the ground at first. I rode it through first gear and set it down. I now know that it was my technique which kept me from powering up before.

I can now scoot back on the seat and power up in first gear. Now I just need to work on changing to second in the air.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts