Sportbike World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... so there i was riding in the expressway when i heard and felt a bang on the front of the bike... to my f***ing dismay there was a nick (scratch) about 2.5 inches across the top of the headlight (on the nose). It must've been a rock or something but all i know is that my baby's got a scar. I have ordered the "touch up paint-pen" from color rite that matches my bike's yellow color perfectly ('99 CBR600F4). I followed the intsructions but now the front of the bike appears though it has a yellow "scab". Sorry i took so long to unfold the story but i needed to vent. Has anyone gone through this and how have they handled it? I am thinking of taping around the section with the scratch (now a scab) and applying paint thinner to the offended area and re-applying the pen or maybe just get the aerosol spray can & trying this.... I would appreciated all input regarding this.

Carlos

------------------

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think it kind of depends on how deep the scratch is. My wife paints cars on a daily basis and the preferred method of fixing a deep scratch is to lightly sand the area around and including the scratch until smooth. Then using a spray gun, they blend the new paint into the old so you don't just see a freshly painted area that sticks out from the rest. A two inch scratch will end up being a 6" or more repainted area using this method. If you use a touch up bottle, use a good cleaner on the scratched area first to make sure the paint has something to stick to. You should still lightly sand the scratch itself again to promote adhesion and to knock any burrs off. Also, you can use some clear fingernail polish (or some clear coat if you can get it) over the paint to help it last a little longer as most touch up paint will wash off with water.
My wife just told me that if the scratch is fairly deep, you should first fill it in with some paint and then let that dry before you sand it smooth. Hope this helps,

Kyle

------------------

1 - 2 of 2 Posts