Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

After riding my bike for 15-20 minutes my feet/angle gets all cramped and I have to lift my feett off the pegs to wiggle 'em around. I keep wondering if there's something wrong with my riding position or if there is an adjustment I need to make on pegs... Does anyone have any pictures of a proper riding position?

I've been riding for about three years (about 7,300 miles so far) and I did take the MSF course but they didn't talk much about sportbike riding positions. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Drathen said:
Hey all,

I've been riding for about three years (about 7,300 miles so far)

Thanks.
You know how if you try and new sport or something your body has to get used to using new muscle groups? Motorcycling is the same case. you are using diffrent muscle groups when you are riding than previously used. I would just say ride more.......... 7300 miles in three years is not alot of miles at all.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Re: Re: Need help with riding position/posture...

QuickCoCo1 said:
You know how if you try and new sport or something your body has to get used to using new muscle groups? Motorcycling is the same case. you are using diffrent muscle groups when you are riding than previously used. I would just say ride more.......... 7300 miles in three years is not alot of miles at all.
Sure, but it's hard to imagine why this would happen after just 15-20 minutes unless he's on a pocket bike or 6' 7" tall! Plus, he's got a pretty good amount of miles under his belt.

Is it possible you are too tense when riding? Usually this manifests itself in the hands and wrists, but is it possible your clenching your lower-body muscles? Also, I hate to ask this because it's so simplistic, but what kind of boots are you wearing? It is possible they don't fit right? Lastly, are you getting a lot of vibration thru your pegs? This can account for fatigue in the feet and legs.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Foot/peg position

I am going to venture a guess. Are your feet on the pegs in either of these two positions?: 1. Toes on the pegs, heels pointing up. or 2. Heels on the pegs, toes pointing down?

Either of these positions, kept for a prolonged period of time, can lead to ankle soreness. #2 is downright dangerous.

Try placing your feet on the pegs so that the peg is in the middle of your foot and your feet are placed in a level position.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Compliments to Quick, Bonk & ZX. You have taken words out of my mouth. When I road raced my feet were placed with the ball of the foot on the footrest (peg) for in "skelton" bikes we could not afford ANY wind drag even with the feet. That was back in '48 & later yrs & the way I have riden conventional m/cs to cafe racers to my sportbikes. Like the above I agree that the milage you have put on the bike is quite short for I ride 3 to 6 hrs each time I ride in the riding season & that would be 4 to 6 days of the weeks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, thanks for the replies.

I noticed today that I normally ride with the front portion of my foot (the area just aft of the toes) on the pegs. I tried doing as zxrider suggested and placed the center my feet on the pegs which help quite a bit. The only problem is that each foot rests on the gear shifter and brakes.... This morning my left foot actually popped my bike into a lower gear (accidentially) while resting on the gear shifter...

I'm only 5'11" and I wear 11' 1/2" shoes so maybe I need to move my feet back a little?

I also have a big problem with my hands killing me on the grips... I'm constantly moving them around every minute or two so hopefully I'll get used to that soon.

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Drathen said:
I also have a big problem with my hands killing me on the grips... I'm constantly moving them around every minute or two so hopefully I'll get used to that soon.
That is almost certainly caused by being too tense. Imagine holding an egg without breaking it or a wet sponge without wringing the water out of it. That's the type of grip you want. Also, try to keep you arms parallel with your legs and don't ride with your elbows locked. This will help your riding in many ways: your bike will handle better and more smoothly, you can ride much longer without fatigue and you'll keep warmer in cold weather (probably not so much a factor in Long Beach!). For longer rides you might try wearing earplugs - they will also reduce your fatigue.

If you have a desk job, you might want to get one of those grip things you squeeze to strengthen your hands. This will also help.

Good luck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good advice, all. I would also recommend paying attention to your breathing. I had a friend who tensed up within a half hour after starting a ride. I suggested the following:

Take 2 deep breaths every 5 minutes or so. Inhale slowly through your nose and exhale slowly through your mouth. Really helps release body tension.

Worked for him immediately. I do the same all the time. Really helps me relax.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
The middle of one foots is usually at the arch & so a hair forward of the heel, but back of the ball of the foot one pivots on. So if you are tapping foot control levers your foot is to far forward. I wear size 11 in a boot & never acciently tap the brake or gear change lever.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Get to where you are using the back & stomack muscles along with some knee grip on the petrol tank to take away weight on the handlebars. You do not need a lot of upper body weight ending up on the hands/grips & in fact the grip on the bars should be light or relaxed.

Still being knew to the bike's riding position most people become tense which is quite normal bar experienced riders.

·
Registered
517 Posts
seating comfort

These comments are right on track. I would also add that you should be able to wiggle/flap/move your elbows around while you ride IF you have a loose enough upper body. When your grip gets tight, it also tightens your forearms, shoulders and neck.

Remind yourself you are in control. Ease off the deathgrip. Move your arms around and roll your neck side to side.

MSF course teaches to "cover the controls" which is to lay your hand over bars with fingers in position to squeeze levers at any time. This will make you relax your grip until you get more used to the bike.

At speed (even slow) you steer your bike by pushing the inside bar, not pulling it. You have plenty of grip to do the pushing already.

For me, I found greater comfort when I began hitting the pushups, situps and lower back stretches, too.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
jrm is correct. I am loose when on my bikes & tend to shift my body around when riding. Like in shoulder checks for vehicles behind I actually turn the upper part of the shoulders & body for that quick glance. Still in truth some yrs ago I tore some ligaments & muscles in the neck to head during a bad accident in a cross country race so the above is easier for the "shoulder check".

In honestly if I am behind a lot of vehicles & we are all going SLOW for some miles then I to can start to feel the pains in my wrists, hands, knees, back, shoulders & such BECAUSE I am not going at a decent pace & so body, legs & arms always being put into parts of movements.

Lastly with my age I need to help the poor body so down to the gym 3 times a week where I am working on my shoulders, back, wrists, foreams, legs & abs.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
bluebandit said:
Good advice, all. I would also recommend paying attention to your breathing. I had a friend who tensed up within a half hour after starting a ride. I suggested the following:

Take 2 deep breaths every 5 minutes or so. Inhale slowly through your nose and exhale slowly through your mouth. Really helps release body tension.

Worked for him immediately. I do the same all the time. Really helps me relax.
Ahhh, good point...:thumb: What I started doing was singing ...NO LAUGHING..:twofinger you have to breathe to sing............right.? :D You can't hold your breath and relax, which was mentioned above, when gripping the barz, pretend your holding a small bird, that's about how light ya should be with your grip..up to a point, tossing a bike over at 140 mph on the track, takes a tad more...pressure..;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm usually pretty relaxed when riding (at least I think I am!). The only time I really tense up is when lane splitting which I try to avoid. My feet are doing much better thanks to all your advice.

As some of you suggested, I think I'm putting too much weight on the grips, especially on my right hand. I have tried doing a combination of using back muscles, hugging the fuel tank with my legs, and adjusting my grip with limited success. Maybe the more I ride the more I'll get used to it. I plan on working out regularly at the gym starting next week so maybe that'll help.

Sometimes when riding I'll hum to myself out of boredom - I suppose it could also help ease the tension....

Hammer's new nickname - The Singing Biker :D

·
Registered
925 Posts
Hammer 4 said:
Ahhh, good point...:thumb: What I started doing was singing
Ever pull up to a redlight in the summer still singing pretty loud so you can actually hear yourself, and notice the guy next to you can, also? Not that this has ever happened to me... I was just wondering if it did ever happen... yeah... :twofinger

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Wamtanaprilia: Obviously of a younger breed then myself & into the loud music (as you young 'uns call it) such as blasted out at the gym. So loud that I bring my own cassettes in a walkman to help ward of all the loud & strange sounds. If I so much as say something in my helmet that is hard on my ears, so to your question the answer is NO. LOL

Oh yes I am classic Jazz, Latin Jazz & Classical when it come to music kind to my ears & thinking.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Cassettes????? I thought I was bad still having a VCR along with my DVD player :twofinger

I was just thinking about putting too much weight on the bars... I tend to do this on the tail end of long rides... I'm guessing it's cause I'm getting tired... Guess I need to get to the gym...

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Guttico: ACTUALLY you have a point about the latter part of riding in the day. That is when we start to slack off a bit in observations of the traffic on the roads & to the sides to even how we are handeling a bike which mean one's riding position.

I noted it especially after a day of practicing MX, Trials, Enduro or any dirt riding that in latter part of aiming for home I was not riding as well & sometimes this would lead into a prang due to not being up to par when working my way down a rocky section. It jives with full day of tough skiing & the last long run down to the ski lodge & where more would spill or almost spill as they were tired & a bit to relaxed. SO same is in the m/cing world when one rides the pavement.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts