Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2004 ZX-6R.

OK I changed my oil about a two weeks ago. I put in castrol full synthetic. I hadn't rode the bike with the new oil until I went to the track. On the way out to the track it seemed like it was running fine. I would roll on the throttle and it seemed like it was slipping a little but no big deal. Well the bike ran fine at the track. Then on the way home I noticed that in second gear the bike would loose power and then take off again. Well it only happened like twice, so I didn't think anything of it. Well the next day I took the bike out and it started doing it again. This time it was bad. I'd open the throttle and the bike would start to take off them BAM lose of power then BAM power would kick back in. It did this like 10 times in 2nd 3rd and 4th gear. I turned the bike around and headed home. Well it took me two minutes to get back on post so I decided to do a loop around the post to see if it was still having problems. Well it seemed like after the bike got warmed up it was running fine. I still didn't want to take any chances so I came back home and parked the bike. The following day I took the bike out again and rolled on the throttle and noticed that it was only doing this **** when I hit 9K rpm's. The bike would hit 9K and loose power until it hit 8K then it would kick back in. So at this point I took the bike home and put it up on my stands. I put the bike in neutral and revved it. It went all the way to the limiter. I put the bike in gear and held the clutch in and revved it. As soon as it got to 9K it cut out. It did this in every gear clutch in or out.

What the hell is going on with this bike? I'm stationed in Germany so I can't just take it to my local shop, so all the help I can get would be great.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the problem.
When you hit 9k rpm, in any gear, the bike cuts out? Like the ignition cuts out?

At first I thought you were talking about your clutch slipping, but if its doing it up on the stands, it doesnt sound like the clutch has anything to do with it..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vash said:
I'm not sure I understand the problem.
When you hit 9k rpm, in any gear, the bike cuts out? Like the ignition cuts out?

At first I thought you were talking about your clutch slipping, but if its doing it up on the stands, it doesnt sound like the clutch has anything to do with it..
Ya the ignititon cuts out! What do you think.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Sounds like a rectifier/voltage regulator problem

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Seriously, check those terminals...Poor quality fuel, water in the tank, a bad sidestand switch, or a weak sidestand spring can also cause problems like this...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could understand if this happen threwout the RPM range but it only happens when I hit 9K RPM's. I think my ECM is done down the shiter! That's going to cost me $800!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
marsolais said:
You don't say!
Yes I do say. I was totaly serious. If there is a bad connection to your battery the ignition/injector systems are not getting the current required at the higher RPMs. It is an easy check. If it is your ECM you might think about getting a power commander.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
mac020 said:
Yes I do say. I was totaly serious. If there is a bad connection to your battery the ignition/injector systems are not getting the current required at the higher RPMs. It is an easy check. If it is your ECM you might think about getting a power commander.
Since the PC doesnt replace the ECM, but rather ties in line, I dont think it will solve the problem.. could be wrong...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I just read a post on another board from a guy who was having the same problem you are with his ZX12. Turned out that his fuel pump was going bad or that his filter was clogged. Switch tanks to find out for sure.........

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rundog said:
I just read a post on another board from a guy who was having the same problem you are with his ZX12. Turned out that his fuel pump was going bad or that his filter was clogged. Switch tanks to find out for sure.........
Can you post a link to that site.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It has to be the ECU. Took the service manual and did everything else. Even grounded the code wire out to see if a code would pop up on the cluster. Kawasaki guys said to do this and if nothing comes up then it is like 99% a bad ECU.

Bad fuel pump would not cut out at 9k RPM's. It would be bad throughout the RPM range. This is the same go bad gas or a clogged fuel filter, plugged injector or clogged air filter.

Cam chain sensor would show a fault code if it was failing. Basically any sensor on this bike will show a code if failing. Seeing the ECU might have failed it is not showing and codes even when you ground it out.

Basically the ECU is a living computer. It see's what gear the bike is in, how fast you are going, what your RPM's are and if something is going wrong with the bike. If the ECU thinks the bike is doing something wrong it will let you know with an error code like *HI* for high temp. Now if the ECU fails then it won't show a code for much of anything and will make the bike run very strange, such as cutting out a 9k RPM's only. The Kawasaki guys told me that all these strange suggestion might fix the problem for the time being but will only cause more problems in the near future and will end up costing alot more money.

They also said that I should never short anything out on my bike to see if it fixes the problem because they can tell when this happens and all warranties will be void!

I'm not a mechanic, nor do I pretend to be. I ask allot of questions because I want to learn everything I can about my bike. I leave the major repairs up to the pro's.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Look bro, it definetly could be the ECU. But it could also be a score of other components. For example, a bad alternator will start dropping output voltage as demand increases. At a certain point it will not be able to deliever the 5V necessary for the ECU to run, at which case it will start cutting out.
Trouble shooting replacing either the easiest or the cheapest components first. If know someone one with the same bike (or the same model ECU really) switch them out and see if that fixes the problem. If not, having your alternator checked will be a whole lot cheaper then replacing the ECU. It may end up being the problem or it might not.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
marsolais said:

Bad fuel pump would not cut out at 9k RPM's. It would be bad throughout the RPM range. This is the same go bad gas or a clogged fuel filter, plugged injector or clogged air filter.

Not necessarily...It just may not be able to maintain the pressure required to deliver the voulme of fuel necessary at 9k... I hope that you are able to find the source of your problem without spending a whole lot of money, and I'd appreciate it if you post here and let us know what the solution is....Good luck.......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts