Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i have been obsessed with sport bikes since i was little and i have decided its finaly time to sell my truck and get a bike. i would really like a cbr-600rr or gsxr-600 but i dont think i am tall enough to ride one i am 5'5 with about a 27-28inch inseem and i weigh 145lbs. i went to a dealer today and sat on a cbr my feet touch the ground but i'm not flat footed i dont know if that is a problem or not. is a sportbike out of the question for me?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,059 Posts
kevin_webb said:
Ok so i have been obsessed with sport bikes since i was little and i have decided its finaly time to sell my truck and get a bike. i would really like a cbr-600rr or gsxr-600 but i dont think i am tall enough to ride one i am 5'5 with about a 27-28inch inseem and i weigh 145lbs. i went to a dealer today and sat on a cbr my feet touch the ground but i'm not flat footed i dont know if that is a problem or not. is a sportbike out of the question for me?
IMHO..a sportbike IS out of the question IF, you never rode before, or taken the MSF course...there are better bikes to learn on.....

Need more info..re: your riding experience..

As for being 5'5"..you have options..you can shave the seat, and or lower the bike, If I were you, I'd opt for shaving the seat, as lowering a bike affects the handleing alot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my riding experience is zero i am gonna take the msf course and i will probably get a more suitable bike to start on but in the future once i have more experience like a 5 years down the road can someone my size ride a sportbike
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,059 Posts
kevin_webb said:
my riding experience is zero i am gonna take the msf course and i will probably get a more suitable bike to start on but in the future once i have more experience like a 5 years down the road can someone my size ride a sportbike

You might wanna look at the Kaw ex 250 ninja, or 500...also the Suzuki GS500 would be a great bike too..and if you have problems with "gettin flat footed" alhough there are riders tha don't get fla footed..you can always shave the seat, or have an uplosutery shop do it for ya..

As for waiting 5 years..you may not have to wait that long..dependin on how well you learn..:D and yes, you could ride a sportbike, may take some gettin use to, cuzz of the weight..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
839 Posts
I am short too, and have my Busa set up for my short arms and legs:

2001 Hayabusa
Lowered front and back 1.5 in and 1 in.
Custom Tobin seat lowers the seat 1 in.

Heli bars. Move the bars back and up about 1.5 inches.

The Hayabusa is already lower than some sportbikes, so it was a good starting point for me. You don't even want to THINK about riding this bike without at least 2 years or more or riding experience on a less powerful bike. It can get away from an inexperienced rider, way too fast.

If you need riding experience, start with a small v-twin. They are low to the ground and forgiving. You don't want to wreck while you are learning. You could also get a Ninja 500 or smaller. If you have exceptionally good hand/eye coordination and fast reflexes and great balance--you might try a lowered 600 cc bike. Buy a used one because you are probably going to drop it.

Here is a pic of my bike. By the time you learn how to ride, I will be ready for a new bike and will sell it to you -- already set up. It has 166 rwhp / 105 ft lbs torque and is capable of doing the quarter in the low 9's if you are a good rider.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
That pic reminds me of that video where all the Busa's and that zx-12r race that black viper. That's a sick video.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
My friend is 5.5 with 27" inseme as well. He started on a Ninja 250, and 2 years later he got a Honda VFR (it is a big bike). He didn't not shave the seat nor lower the bike. He touches the ground with the tip of his feet, and he is doing fine. at a stop light, he lean the bike a little to the left side, and rest it on the left foot. and he rests the right foot on the foot pig.
He has more troubles finding riding pants that fit him that riding a bike..!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
My wife is 5'4", and she rides an R1100s, can't touch worth a shit, but hey. My friend who raced professionally is shorter than her and he has an R1100s Boxer Cup Rep and he has to get off the seat on one side just to touch his toes to the earth. You will be fine once you have a starter bike or two and get used to the riding part so you can figure out the vertically challenged thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
839 Posts
Another way out-- Instead of making your bike lower, make your legs "longer". How? Take your boots to a shoe repair and have them add 1.5-2 inches of thickness to the sole and heel. It costs less than changing your bike and doesn't upset the geometry of your ride. Your just have to make sure that you can still get your toe under the shift peg.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,059 Posts
bass boss said:
Another way out-- Instead of making your bike lower, make your legs "longer". How? Take your boots to a shoe repair and have them add 1.5-2 inches of thickness to the sole and heel. It costs less than changing your bike and doesn't upset the geometry of your ride. Your just have to make sure that you can still get your toe under the shift peg.
Good in theroy, but that would make it kinda tuff to shift..as the thickness would limit getting his foot between the peg, and shift lever, espeaiclly for downshifting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,442 Posts
Im a short rider myself. Im about 5'7 and 125lbs. I haven't had a problem finding bike that fit me though. Ive sat on F4's, Hybusas, R6s, R1, and my current bike YZF 750. All the bikes have been at there mid settings for the front and rear suspension. Ive been riding my 750 for a while my feet dont touch flat but the ball on both of my feet touch just fine (at the same time). If you can touch with just the ball of both your feet at the same time I would think your fine. One foot would be very uncomfortable since you would have to be supporing part of the bike weight on it, it would get heavy after a few stop lights. I do have a set of riding boots I wear that have thick rubber souls, about 1 1/2 in along with a steel toe. I dont have a problem shifting at all but then again there is a good bit of room between my foot peg and the shift lever. The extra 1 1/2 inches helps alot, especially in traffic, but I dont find them necessary to ride, they just make it a bit easier. I guess what I'm getting at is if you can find a bike that you can ride without adjusting the height of the bike and you can touch with the balls of you feet (the part right after your toes... I guess its the ball of your feet) you should be fine riding.

Good luck,
Sepias
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top