Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all this is my first post and I would like to say that you guys kick ass. I have a question I'm sure you can answer. On my '96 Zx-6 I have Dunlop d207 tires. I live about 40 miles away from my school campus and my bike is my main (or preferred) mode of travel. As you can imagine I have developed a flat spot all around my rear tire. My question is this, Which tire or tires are better for interstate type riding? I know the D207 is a softer tire which helped cause the flat spot. I am looking for a harder tire that doesn't give up to much sticky performance, that would last longer than the D207. Thanks!

Adrenalin Junkie

·
Registered
289 Posts
Adrenalin Junkie said:
First of all this is my first post and I would like to say that you guys kick ass. I have a question I'm sure you can answer. On my '96 Zx-6 I have Dunlop d207 tires. I live about 40 miles away from my school campus and my bike is my main (or preferred) mode of travel. As you can imagine I have developed a flat spot all around my rear tire. My question is this, Which tire or tires are better for interstate type riding? I know the D207 is a softer tire which helped cause the flat spot. I am looking for a harder tire that doesn't give up to much sticky performance, that would last longer than the D207. Thanks!

Adrenalin Junkie
Try D205's.....longer life than the 207's but no where near as good of a performance tire.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
d 205's suck

I've almost killed myself riding on bikes fitted with those POS's more than once. They slide all over the place at any decent lean angle.

I would go with either the Metzeler ME Z3, or for a little more grip with less mileage, the ME Z4

Both excellent tires with enough grip if you're going highway riding, but the ME Z3 will last a bit longer.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Pete said:
The Bridgestone BT020 is another recommendation.
YES....I second the emotion on the
Bridgestone BT020....

·
Registered
180 Posts
Cam McFarland said:

YES....I second the emotion on the
Bridgestone BT020....
I third the emotion on the BT020...I normally would ride an 010, but my new FZ1 came stock with the 020's...and I've gotten 3200 miles of hard charging canyon railing out of that 020 rear and its still got alot of tread left. The tire is designed as a sport touring tire, so it has a slightly harder compound than a D207 or BT010, and will give you the mileage that you want for daily commuting and will resist getting a flat spot more than the 207/010's...

They are also sticky enough when they get heated up that you can get your bike into the twisties pretty aggressively without much worry that the tires won't hold...

Great tire in my experience...

·
Registered
865 Posts
tsisson said:

I third the emotion on the BT020...I normally would ride an 010, but my new FZ1 came stock with the 020's...and I've gotten 3200 miles of hard charging canyon railing out of that 020 rear. The tire is designed as a sport touring tire, so it has a slightly harder compound than a D207 or BT010, and will give you the mileage that you want for daily commuting and will resist getting a flat spot more than the 207/010's...

They are also sticky enough when they get heated up that you can get your bike into the twisties pretty aggressively without much worry that the tires won't hold...

Great tire in my experience...
Yes, I had them on my 2000 Suzuki Bandit
1200. I had over 5000 miles on my tires
before the bike was lost in the flood.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
CBR Brutha said:
d 205's suck

I've almost killed myself riding on bikes fitted with those POS's more than once. They slide all over the place at any decent lean angle.
Yup, just ask jtensuan. He totalled his monster on 205's.

I would go with either the Metzeler ME Z3, or for a little more grip with less mileage, the ME Z4

Both excellent tires with enough grip if you're going highway riding, but the ME Z3 will last a bit longer.
Second that. I've got the Z3's with 2500 miles and 3 track days on them and they are only about half done (although no more track days because of heat cycle concerns, but still fine for the street). A very good all around tire, a bit slow to turn, but very stable. Highly recommended.

I posted a really good review about a month or so back done on about 20 or so different tires. Search the daily rider forum and you should be able to find it.

Update- never mind, I found it: http://www.tl1000.com/pb_tires/sport_rider_sep_2001.htm

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
CBR Brutha said:
You have to be a licensed racer to even get your hands on a set of d208GP's. Also, they would be absolutely horrible for the street after about 2 hours. They are strictly race tires. Bad for rain. Bad for longevity, etc.
I run 208 GP's, and I don't race, yet...

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Pete said:

And what do you think of them?
I'm in love with them, I just wish they didn't cost so much. I'll never go back, well if I couldn't afford the 208's I'd use 207's.

It's really hard to explain how they are, I'd say there like the 207's but they do everything so much better. For the first few miles (around the city) they were kinda weird. I had to ask Robert if it was normal for the tires to feel like they were. I just wasn't used to the stickyness (sp) of the tires, it was a little more work to get the bike to turn.

Once we got to the track everything was just right. The heavy feeling was gone and they were sticking like glue.

They still feel awesome, after 1 track day and a few trips up 33 and 1 ride to the Rock Store.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Dan F4 said:

I'm in love with them, I just wish they didn't cost so much. I'll never go back, well if I couldn't afford the 208's I'd use 207's.
And how much would they cost a mere mortal...??

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Cam McFarland said:

And how much would they cost a mere mortal...??
I think I they were around $420-$450 for the set. But I think I found a place that has them cheaper, around $350 a set.

·
Registered
753 Posts
CBR Brutha said:
You have to be a licensed racer to even get your hands on a set of d208GP's. Also, they would be absolutely horrible for the street after about 2 hours. They are strictly race tires. Bad for rain. Bad for longevity, etc.
No you don't, I can get them at my Kawi shop. They lasted on one of my friends bikes for 8 sunday rides. Which is less than 800 miles, not worth the money unless it's just a track bike.

·
Registered
753 Posts
CBR Brutha said:
I stand corrected. Wonder why I thought that you had to be a racer to run those tires??? :confused:
Some dealers do require you to have a license, but most don't. The one's that do require you to have 1 usually are alot cheaper than the ones that don't.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts