Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just bought a ninja 250 about 3 weeks ago. This is my 1st bike and already I want to buy a faster bike. The bike is just too slow for me. What kind of bike could I get for $2500? Any 500cc or 600cc bikes?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I think there's a Catch-22 kinda deal that applies here. In Heller's novel about a WWII bomber squadron, an airman could be sent home before completing his 50 missions if he were crazy. But there was a catch: Anyone who wanted to get the hell out of there and get back home was obviously sane enough to be concerned for his own well-being and therefore not crazy enough to be sent home. As Yossarian said, "That's some catch, that Catch-22."

Likewise with riding, if you're so desperate for more horsepower that you want to trade in a perfectly good 250 Ninja after 3 weeks, you haven't yet learned enough to respect and use the machine's capabilities and, thus, are not yet ready to move up to a faster bike. Spend another few months developing your skills. Ride twisty roads regularly, practice braking and countersteering and looking where you want to go, get comfortable leaning the bike. Maybe pick up a copy of Nick Ienatsch's Sport Riding Techniques or Lee Parks' Total Control and do some of the drills they suggest for improving visual skills, braking, steering, and throttle control. Until you've got some miles under your belt and possess the skills needed to get the most out of the bike, the last thing you need is more power to compensate for skills you don't yet have.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Been riding for years and since my curbmonkey g-friend doesn’t want the 250 I bought for her, I’ve been riding it since my beater craped out it’s bearings....

Seems to get me around fine and sees triple digits :huh: on the track.... Yup... it's bone stock...

Stick with it an learn... :thumbs2:

·
Registered
164 Posts
i had a friend who had a 01 250ex, she rode it balls out and it kept up with my 900 and a friends r1 on the street just fine, definitly taught her to be a better rider, it dosent have the acceleration of a liter bike, but it can and will go up to 120 if needed, i saw it

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Like Dan & others I suggest you ride the bike longer & really get to know the pros & cons of the bike, get to the point that everything is so automatic that you do not have to think of what to do EVEN in an emergency to save self & bike. THEN you are in a position to step up to more power.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
mofolife said:
Hi, I just bought a ninja 250 about 3 weeks ago. This is my 1st bike and already I want to buy a faster bike. The bike is just too slow for me. What kind of bike could I get for $2500? Any 500cc or 600cc bikes?
I hate to go against everyone else here but i had a srx 250 for exactly 2 weeks and one day. Being an experienced dirt rider, the bike just didn't do it for me. After the 2 weeks, i sold it for what i bought it for and bought a 600.

I'm not sure there's alot out there for that price. Maybe a honda f3?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Re: Re: Need faster bike

Tippmann said:
I hate to go against everyone else here but i had a srx 250 for exactly 2 weeks and one day. Being an experienced dirt rider, the bike just didn't do it for me. After the 2 weeks, i sold it for what i bought it for and bought a 600.

I'm not sure there's alot out there for that price. Maybe a honda f3?
Yeah you like to go against everyone else, just to stir up the dust. hehe:D

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
mofolife said:

I just ran a track day today and the best session I had was CHASING (desperately hanging on chasing I mean) a racer on a ex250 that he runs cause it's cheap on tires. Funny as hell on the 2 straights with me on my 1k tucked in behind John as he rung the fuck out of his 250 with others FLYING past us. I wouldn't pass him though. After that session I had a serious understanding on THE line at Spring Mountain.

Ride the 250 you :squid:

Bikes are about cornering and that thing can WAIL in the right hands

·
Registered
88 Posts
i rode a 250 for a year and a half, i always wanted more power but i still always had a ton of fun on the bike, if you think it's not fast enough just start taking twistier roads, i know in traffic it's not what you'd dream of, but on back roads by yourself it doesn't matter

·
Registered
14 Posts
i've never rode a ninja 250 so i can't tell ya much, but if it's not fast enuff to make you happy, definately get somethingelse. i know that's not the "correct" attitude, yer supposed to ride the slowest bike made for several years, lalala. but i know half the fun is having somethin you shouldn't, occassionally misusing the power (you don't deserve) and going "wow, that was freakin scary". i'm not sayin go get a liter bike for yer first and die having fun, i'm just sayin a little excitement keeps ya interested enuff to learn.

as far as $2500, uh.... you'll have to look hard and move fast. i would've gave ya my '97 katana 600 (22000miles) for 27, but i dont' know how much faster the kat is than yer bike. stock it's supposed do a 12.9 qtr (with a pro rider) mine would run 130 without redlining. i've str8 roasted cobras, transams, etc.

why'd i trade it? i wanted something faster:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts